Archived Trying to become a senior team lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a GSTL at a high volume store for the past year. Before that, I was a GSA and then in Target Café before that. I have a Master's degree and am trying to move up in the company, but I'm having issues with the ETL staff as seeing me more than a team lead. My store is always green on Red Cards, we're striving to keep the team accountable to attendance, and I'm very flexible with my schedule, working doubles whenever I need to so the store will function properly. At this time, it seems like I'm still not getting recognized for what I bring to the table. I do a good job, but what can I do to have my supervisors see my potential? Thanks!

welcome!
2 questions:
1. do you have issues with your stl or etl-ge? if not, apply on ehr for starters or transfer to another store for that job or etl opening.
2. since you are working double shifts. where are the gsa's? have you suggested to your mgt, potential tm's for that job? it's highly suggested too. that show a strength & opp at the same time for you.

Last edited:
I don't have any issues with my leadership. We are a new store, haven't even been open a year, and we have already lost 4 ETLs. My new ETL GE just started this week, but I have no problems with him yet. GSA wise, we currently don't have any. One just moved up to Café team lead and the other just stepped down after getting another job. I have discussed transferring with them and they stated I was not allowed to until after 18 months...I just hit one year as a team lead. I've partnered with my leadership on numerous occasions trying to get new GSAs, suggesting new innovated ways to drive RED Cards, constantly filling shifts due to call offs, and I'm even the volunteer coordinator. I want to be an ETL, but if I can't even make senior, that seems out of the question.

Whats your degree background?

If you have a Masters why are you with Target. I wouldn't suggest going for a SnrTL position, go for ETL or work elsewhere. In my former Target experience, SnrTLs were the work horses for the stores. They were given the roles and duties of an ETL, but not allowed to sit in the ETL meetings or go out to lunch with the ETLs and DTL.

My masters degree is in public administration with a non profit management concentration. Unfortunately, I had to work through school to afford it, so I don't have the experience I need to get the jobs that I'm qualified for. But, entry level jobs require a pay cut and I can't afford that right now. I feel like I'm stuck. I've been applying for other jobs, but I really do love working for Target and want to make it my career...but not if my supervisors don't think I can do it.

If your store is suffering high turn over at the ETL spot often stores like that will depend on a group of solid Team Leads to keep continuity in the store. Often Team Leads are victims of their own success. I have seen many times where they will lead a Team Lead on for years just to keep them in a position that they are a super star in. I would make sure your STL and DTL know you have your degree and you are looking to advance and if the opportunities are not at Target you will look elsewhere.

If your store is suffering high turn over at the ETL spot often stores like that will depend on a group of solid Team Leads to keep continuity in the store. Often Team Leads are victims of their own success. I have seen many times where they will lead a Team Lead on for years just to keep them in a position that they are a super star in. I would make sure your STL and DTL know you have your degree and you are looking to advance and if the opportunities are not at Target you will look elsewhere.

Sounds exactly like what they're doing to a couple TLs at my store. Its sad to watch.

i don't really understand how you work at a high volume store with no gsas? I currently have 4 gsas and we want to hire 3 more...

Believe me, we WANT to have GSAs, but we've lost them both within the past 2 weeks. We don't have anyone strong enough to take the position and the team members interested have too many attendance issues to ignore. We've reached out to other stores, but we're still struggling. I'm getting 50 hours a week just because they have no other option. Ofcourse, my paychecks aren't complaining.

Do NOT go for senior, go for ETL. The senior position is meant for TL's who are working on getting their degree and show ETL potential. You already have your degree and you've been a TL for over a year, so you are qualified for the ETL position. If anything you'd just have to wait until your 18 months.

When did you graduate? If it was within the past two years you could be considered a campus recruit. Target actively hires recent graduates for ETL positions as campus recruits - more so than other external/internal hires. Partner with your ETL-HR about getting into contact with your group's campus recruiter to see how you can get started with interview prep.

The cash office consists of myself, the other GSTL, and the 2 ex gsas. We usually have another team lead watch the lanes until we are finished. It's a very challenging situation. We just don't have that level of talent in our store, especially with college starting again.

I was recently promoted to SrTL(Not ETL since I don't have a degree yet. Although I have six years under my belt and know store processes like the back of my hand. Yes I'm a little bitter with Target's policy here). I wouldn't suggest SrTL either since you do have a degree. However, I would suggest you make sure you are ready for a promotion to ETL. You may be put into a sales floor or logistics position, which is like night and day from GSTL. I would start learning more about the other work centers within your store. I know you are short staffed up at the front, but try to observe the sales floor while you are watching the lanes. Note guest traffic, service calls to the floor, and walkie communication between team members. You may want to look over core roles for the different team leader positions as well. That will give you a better understanding of the floor. I know as an exec you will not be doing team leader duties most of the time but it helps give insight into the workings of different departments. Also start establishing yourself as a leader among your peers. This is a quality that stands out in leadership potential. Hope this helps.

If I were you, I'd start looking for somebody else to learn Cash Office.

Some great areas to look include:

HR - if you have a HRTM, see if they're willing to pickup shifts. We couldn't always promise 40hrs to our HRTMs, and they both learned CO and loved it.
Pharmacy - If you have any pharmacy TMs that need extra hours, a 7-10 shift would be great before a 10-3 or 10-4 shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back