Archived Union members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unions are to create a fair and equitable working experience.

If a corporation can do these things, unions are not needed. However, spot fails on both counts!

Btw what is IGA?

While I'm thinking of it ( this may belong on an entirely other thread, so I am sorry in advance ), does anyone have any thoughts on the Aldi Corporation?

Aldis is great! Have one by me, they pay cashiers 13+

They have really good prices on produce.

Where I live, Aldi is where all the lower-income families buy their groceries because they have the lowest prices (see: no name brands). I've heard that their employees start at $10 or so per hour, plus their cashiers get to sit down. :D

While I'm thinking of it ( this may belong on an entirely other thread, so I am sorry in advance ), does anyone have any thoughts on the Aldi Corporation?

Where I live, Aldi is where all the lower-income families buy their groceries because they have the lowest prices (see: no name brands). I've heard that their employees start at $10 or so per hour, plus their cashiers get to sit down. :D

That (the sitting down part) and the pay is why I'd love to get into Aldi. However, people don't tend to leave there often so they are hardly ever hiring. But I would love to go there.

That (the sitting down part) and the pay is why I'd love to get into Aldi. However, people don't tend to leave there often so they are hardly ever hiring. But I would love to go there.

Would you leave Target if they were taking care of you like that?

Possibly, I really do need something closer and I am getting so sick of the push for red cards.

but guys, if corporate doesn't get all the money who will give us jobs?

honestly i almost threw up during training listening to HR tell us about how target doesn't need a union because we are a team etc, yeah obviously HR feels like target doesn't need unions because they get 40 hours a week and a set schedule plus health bennefits, im sure if the average team member was making 48k a year instead of 15-20k they would feel the same way.

Bingo...

#1 reason Target has high job turnover is job dissatisfaction.

Imagine how much Target could save in the Long term if they made smarter choices regarding their employees.

Bingo...

Imagine how much Target could save in the Long term if they made smarter choices regarding their employees.

high turnover isn't really affecting targets bottom line and actually improved it for a few quarters, not having to pay veteran employees reduces payroll costs and corporate has figured out that they can squeeze twice as much work out of someone for half the pay.

Bingo...

high turnover isn't really affecting targets bottom line and actually improved it for a few quarters, not having to pay veteran employees reduces payroll costs and corporate has figured out that they can squeeze twice as much work out of someone for half the pay.

Perhaps, its not that black and white though.

Veteran employees are in general, more efficient. They can do more work than an inexperienced worker, and require less supervision.

It was discussed in another thread, and there were even several articles on how investing in employees can have a highly beneficial payout in the long term for companies.

Bingo...

Perhaps, its not that black and white though.

Veteran employees are in general, more efficient. They can do more work than an inexperienced worker, and require less supervision.

It was discussed in another thread, and there were even several articles on how investing in employees can have a highly beneficial payout in the long term for companies.

I totally agree, its just that target doesn't care about the long term they just need to keep showing a boost in quarterly earnings at the shareholders meetings and in general unskilled labor has a lower threshold for being efficient then skilled labor does. It should only take around a month for any employee to have green metrics.

The thing that I wonder, though, is how many hours they generally get. There has to be a trade-off somewhere.

Check your states labor laws regarding unionization. Most have a law in place banning companies from retaliating against employees that want to unionize. With target it would be a long battle.

If you don't like the benefits you're being offered and you'd rather go through all the struggles of unionizing, why don't you just find an employer that would be able to offer you what you're looking for?

Target is a corporation. You can talk about how much you hate every slimy corporate fraud you feel is taking from your paycheck, but at the end of the day you have to see them for what they are: a corporation. Yes, there have been several budget cuts recently, but Target puts more focus on employee wellbeing than most other large corporations.

Yep corporations are what they are (a phrase I hate with a passion but truly applies here).
They have no real interest in you beyond the money you can make for them.
Your happiness, well being, etc. is pretty much irrelevant and the only reason it was ever taken into consideration is because there was a time then the company figured that happy employees (pardon me Team Members) meant productive and long lasting TMs.
People who cared about their jobs and the customers (guests).
That was when their business model actually included guest service instead of the appearance of service.
The have turned to wringing the absolute most from the their people with the least return.
The people can fight back, they did in my grandfathers day by rising up joining together and occasionally kicking some ass.
The world we live in now is a very different one but not as much as they would like us to think.
In fact it is becoming more and more like the gilded age of the 20's with a huge income disparity and that is pretty scary.

If you don't like the benefits you're being offered and you'd rather go through all the struggles of unionizing, why don't you just find an employer that would be able to offer you what you're looking for?

Target is a corporation. You can talk about how much you hate every slimy corporate fraud you feel is taking from your paycheck, but at the end of the day you have to see them for what they are: a corporation. Yes, there have been several budget cuts recently, but Target puts more focus on employee wellbeing than most other large corporations.

On point. I'll honestly say that Spot hired me in a time where I couldn't find employment. I know they didn't do it for a favor, in fact I know they were encouraged to because of certain tax breaks. That being said, I've worked for three years and I feel like I've been constantly moving. My ETLs and my STLs have always taken care of me. When I needed more hours, I could usually get it. Maybe I was a golden boy because I rarely call in, I've been late only a few times, and I go into the store with the intent of fixing problems and earning my pay check. Don't get me wrong. If I find a better paying job, I'll leave in a heart beat. However, if I was so upset about things, I'd probably just quit. Why stay somewhere you are unhappy?

They have no real interest in you beyond the money you can make for them.

Why would any for-profit corporation have ANY interest in your wellbeing, for that matter? Target dumps more money into benefits/wellbeing for its Team Members and community than you may realize.

- Third party services to assess Team Member wellbeing (Best Team Survey)
- Tuition reimbursement
- FFF events (Many corporations don't even have a budget for recognition)
- Support for the LGBT community
- Support for LGBT Team Members including but not limited to up to $7,000 in adoption reimbursement and benefits available to domestic partners
- Store captains assigned to wellbeing and community service
- Over $4M given back to the community EVERY WEEK
- Walking chats/chat sessions initiated by an ETL-HR (who's entire job is to maintain an FFF culture) to ensure all culture/wellbeing issues are dealt with appropriately
- An entire hotline dedicated to voicing issues anonymously that you feel your store leaders are unable to solve
- A FREE nurse hotline for you and your family to use to help assess illness
- A LifeResource hotline available 24/7 to address ANY wellbeing issues you may have within your personal life, from apartment hunting to suicide
- Sick/Vacation pay
- Educational LOA
- An Assets Protection department that donates to law enforcement to sponcer new equipment and awareness events
- Health benefits including dental, medical and vision available at a certain hour threshold (again, usually not available to minimum wage workers)
- TM discount, which is also available for use with Target Optical purchases
- Free access to a discount site (this doesn't come free - Target pays an annual fee for this service)
- Partnerships with phone service providers to make you eligible for discounts on your monthly bill​
...I can go on and on

Would a corporation with no interest in you beyond the profit you bring in for them really be dumping mounds of their time/earnings into ANY of the benefits listed above?

As for compensation - if you'd like more compensation for your work, seek out other opportunities within the company. If you champion your personal development there's no reason why you shouldn't promote to a position that compensates at a rate closer to your liking.

If you aren't seeing any of the efforts above being made by your store's leadership team and you don't feel comfortable approaching a leader to voice your concerns, then call the hotline. They'll put enough fire under your ETL's and STL to get them to do something about it.

Last edited:
... The world we live in now is a very different one ...

Yeah, people have become far too sedentary, complacent, and forgetful. There's too much convenience, too much me me me. Most people only think of others and the greater good of society when they themselves are at rockbottom. Otherwise, when they are doing ok they tend to go back to me me me and totally forget they hit rockbottom, why they hit rockbottom, and who may have helped them out of it.

Until people intrinsically change their thoughts and behaviors at a fundamental level, nothing will change. Not with any appreciable speed anyhow. Laws and rules and regulations only go so far (though they're helpful); true change needs to come from within, of it's own free accord.

Humans did not become a successful species by everyone looking out for #1 and ignoring others. Individually, humans are slow, weak, and vulnerable compared to what's out there. As a group, we are strong. We became successful because we figured out that by working together and helping everyone to succeed and pooling our resources, we became vastly more successful than the mere sum of our parts. It let us go places; achieve things; grow. In our complacency, we've forgotten this. And nothing good will come of that.

Last edited:
- Third party services to assess Team Member wellbeing (Best Team Survey)​

During which many ETLs love to look over your shoulder while you're filling it out.

- FFF events (Many corporations don't even have a budget for recognition)
Most corporations have a budget for employee events. They don't use the same buzzwords but they are essentially the same thing.

- Support for LGBT Team Members including but not limited to up to $7,000 in adoption reimbursement and benefits available to domestic partners
Even the military is extending benefits to LGBT service members these days. That's because companies are finally not being chained by DOMA.

- Store captains assigned to wellbeing and community service
Most companies the size of Target have people assigned to such things.

- Over $4M given back to the community EVERY WEEK
And probably spend almost as much telling everyone about it.

- Walking chats/chat sessions initiated by an ETL-HR (who's entire job is to maintain an FFF culture) to ensure all culture/wellbeing issues are dealt with appropriately
Like you said, that's their job. HR's entire function is to handle people.

- An entire hotline dedicated to voicing issues anonymously that you feel your store leaders are unable to solve
Most large companies have a tip line because it allows them to find out about potential lawsuit issues before it has a chance to blow up on them. They want people to be able to report it when they have a blatantly racist TL before it costs them thousands (if not millions) in court costs.

- A FREE nurse hotline for you and your family to use to help assess illness
- A LifeResource hotline available 24/7 to address ANY wellbeing issues you may have within your personal life, from apartment hunting to suicide
- Educational LOA
I'll give you these.
- Sick/Vacation pay
Sick pay is only available in states that require it by law. They don't do it for you.

- Health benefits including dental, medical and vision available at a certain hour threshold (again, usually not available to minimum wage workers)
Carrot on a stick. It's there but it's out of reach to most people.

- TM discount, which is also available for use with Target Optical purchases
Wal-Mart has a discount too and they allow you to use it with personal credit/debit cards.

- Free access to a discount site (this doesn't come free - Target pays an annual fee for this service)
First I've heard of this. What site?

- Partnerships with phone service providers to make you eligible for discounts on your monthly bill
Which I guarantee they get a commission for. Which is fine, it's a win all around but it's not something they are doing just to help us out. They are doing it because AT&T will kick some money their way for the extra contracts.​

I do want to give Target major props for their support of the LGBT community.
That means a lot to me for a lot of reasons and they got a lot of flack for it so great respect.
That said, can we do one thing?

When I was a kid and tried to explain to the other kids why President Nixon was a bad guy and we shouldn't be in Viet Nam, just before they beat the crap out of me, they would say "Hey Commie, if you don't like the US go someplace else."
Is it possible to have a conversation about trying to change the bad habits of a company without being told "Well, if you don't like it go work someplace else."?
Many people don't have that option or opportunity.
Some people were working there when it was a better place to work and watched it deteriorate.
I understand the urge to defend a company that has been good to you compared to others but try not to dismiss them so cavalierly.

In terms of sick pay and vacation time;

"There is no legal requirement in California that an employer provide its employees with either paid or unpaid vacation time."

So then why are Team Members within my CA store eligible for both?

I have never seen sick hours available on my check in TX in the combined 8 years I've worked at Target. Not even the first 5 years where I was getting 40 hours a week.

For medical benefits;
Well, they're there and they've been there for quite a while. I have a friend that works for Disney and because of the new Obamacare laws they've actually CUT hours in order to avoid the legal obligation to provide health insurance. Disney, another large corporation, would rather cut hours than pay for your health insurance. Target offered insurance to its TM's before this after an average of 21 hours worked per week.
The point I'm trying to make is that yes, the medical benefits aren't 5 star, but Target went above what the law requires to offer them to its Team Members while other corporations would rather cut hours to avoid it. Most stores (at least mine) TRY to schedule you at your 21 hour mark if they know you're enrolled in a benefits program.

And I have seen active pushes to make sure as few TMs as possible get above 21 hours. When I was a backroom TL, I was told I needed to hire more people because too many of them were hitting that mark despite the fact we were already somewhat overstaffed. I didn't have the hours for most of my team to get a livable paycheck and I'm supposed to cut them even further to make sure they didn't get benefits? F--- that.

That was one of the biggest reasons that when a better job came around, I took it without a second thought.

Like I said before, if you aren't satisfied with these benefits there's no reason you shouldn't be able to search for employment with a company that offers benefits similar to your tastes.

Most people don't have the luxury of doing that. The job market is still in a crappy place for workers. Target is far from the only retailer that treats its employees like crap and finding a job at retailers that are known for great pay and benefits (Costco and I've heard Aldi is great too) is very difficult since positions are few and far between. Retail work doesn't translate very well into other industries other than maybe warehouses.

I used to want to move up at Target. I like working retail and Target used to be a decent paying company that seemed to actually give a crap about its employees. Then over the years, I saw them cutting more and more and more out despite our volume increasing from an A store when we opened to AAA in the space of 4 years. I saw various situations like I listed above that basically said "Yeah, the benefits are there but we want to ensure that very few get them".

I once got told that I had to cut my best TM's review down from an O to an EX because "No one gets an O." and I better find something he did wrong over the year to justify it.

I noticed things like still shoving the credit card in everyone's faces despite the fact that many people were drowning in debt (right before the collapse). But who cares? We hit our numbers!

I noticed that in the space of 10 years, base pay only increased by 7% while inflation increased by 30%.

I saw them decide that experience no longer matters when you have a literal glut of college kids looking for jobs. Nothing motivates employees like being told "You're no longer in the running to pick up ETL despite your x years of retail experience, y years of Target experience, and z years of leadership experience. Come meet this 22 year old with an Art degree that has never worked a day in her life. She's the new ETL-HL."

All of that and more was what led me to abandon all ideas of ever moving up within the company. Even though I only have a year or so left to finish my degree, I wouldn't want to be an ETL unless it was the only job I could get.

Last edited:
I didn't think it was a bad analogy or I wouldn't have used it.
To tell someone to 'love it or leave it' doesn't make for a productive conversation and only starves to shut down any kind of meaningful communication.

Being the only source of employment in an area does not make a company beneficial.
Some of the decline was the economy but much of it was their choice to change to a business model more based around that of Wal-Mart.

Do an internet search about unions, it should give you some ideas how to form one there. The union won't just help with healthcare, it will help with decent wages and raises and protection from discrimination in the workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back