Archived Union members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, so many employees in here are so uninformed, please call the TMSC for further clarification on these issues. Sick pay is ONLY given to the employees that work in states that REQUIRE it, like CA and NY (i.e. Democrat states) Republican states NEVER offer sick pay.

Unfortunately, you can't really give Target too many "props" for their support of the GLBT community when they funded the Republican candidate in the MN Governors race that was ANTIGAY in EVERY way.

Let me correct you on a few things, first of all, there is NO PROOF that employers are cutting hours DIRECTLY because of the Affordable Care Act. Second, even if that were true, just because SOME employers are TERRIBLE people does NOT make the ACA the problem, it's BAD COMPANIES not the ACA's fault. Next, people in CA get sick pay because it's STATE LAW! Next, Target's eligibility requirements are NOT 21 hour a week, they are 19.5 (the ONLY people it's 21 for is Pharmacists) Target has had the 19.5 avg hr requirement for MANY YEARS, the ACA law says that employers of MORE than 50 people whose workers average MORE than 30 hours a week MUST offer health insurance, so those requirements are MUCH higher than Targets. Target DOES have TWO policies though, ONE for FT employees (hourly employees MUST work MORE than 31.5 hours a week to get FULL TIME benefits (comprehensive health, life, dental, vision) whereas PART TIME employees ONLY get BASIC coverage if they work MORE than 19.5 but LESS than 31.5

Fast forward 5 years,,,,,perhaps with "Modernization" and the ensuing turmoil it has created, possibly lead to "Unionization"?
Spot (and most of retail) should realize, if you don't want a Union, run your business as if you had a Union.

Ever been to an IGA? I have never seen a grocery store where the employees are so helpful. Prices were the same as any other place. That's what service unions create: well-paid, helpful employees whose rights have been defended. The mega-corporations like Target and Walmart make a ton of money for the board of directors at the expense of the people who are collecting rhat money. This is why they fight unions. They don't want over-paid, content workers.

A TM at my store said that his buddy who work at major grocery store makes less than he does at Target...In addition to having several hires from the same company

A TM at my store said that his buddy who work at major grocery store makes less than he does at Target...In addition to having several hires from the same company
Yep, the union grocery stores in my area all start around $8/hr, with mostly pathetic 15-20 cent raises every 1,040 hours. Every aspect of scheduling is based on seniority, which can take decades to climb to the top.

Fast forward 5 years,,,,,perhaps with "Modernization" and the ensuing turmoil it has created, possibly lead to "Unionization"?
Spot (and most of retail) should realize, if you don't want a Union, run your business as if you had a Union.

And Spot does. In my area the union places pay $2 a hour less (their absolute max starting wage is $1 below Spot’s absolute minimum starting wage) the benefits start at 6 months instead of 18, and the benefits are incredibly better. With the move to $15, once we hit $15 we will be paying $3 a hour more for most positions.

I’ve been an ETL for union grocery and it is NOT all sunshine and roses. You can’t hold anyone accountable for anything. I couldn’t choose to only discipline one TM in an altercation when her victim fought back, and I wasn’t about to fire good people that the resident crazy hated.

I’m generally pro union. I have discussed my thoughts on unions with my ETLs. The union WILL NOT HELP YOU AT ALL unless 90% of your team is ready to be the unions cheerleaders. You know how many people voted on the union grocery’s last contract? Less than 25%. Everyone has to be 100% on board.

Bear in mind our current administration is extremely anti-union. Old Trump recently signed EOs to strip Federal Government Employees of many collective bargaining rights and remove union abilities to represent members while "on the clock." In an agency that sees tons of unfair practices go to arbitration (and watching the union always win those cases) this is an extreme problem. AFGE is suing the administration over those EOs.

If those EOs hold, how long will it take Congress to start passing laws eliminating more and more unionization?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back