Archived Using employee discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the right forum area but I have a question.
I was wondering if anyone has experience price matching online (to bestbuy) and using an employee discount? I would want to price match first, and then use my discount off the now cheaper price.
I do it all the time in store, but I'm not sure how they do it online. Also is it an option to go in store and have them order it for me(using the match and discount)?
Can they price match online-only items using the in store ordering system(myCheckout or something)?
It's an online only product which causes the problem.

The problem is I need to use my employee discount after price matching. I've had the trouble before where they said I have to order it online first and then price match it, but then I can't use my discount
Because the order is $1000 with price match to $800. If I use my discount when ordering online I pay $855 and then they just bring it down to $800. If I got it in store they bring it down to $800 and then after discount I would pay $684 or something. I don't think target online allows price matching before ordering.
Can I use myCheckout in store to order an online only item? And can they pricematch as well as using my employee discount through mycheckout?

Thanks!

Yes it's okay to use the TM discount with price match.

The TMs cannot adjust the price of online items via MyCheckout and since it's really a guest-facing device, it gives no area to enter a TM discount number.

You can try to get the Target.com Order Experience reps to adjust.

In either case, your T.com order must be paid with a form of payment that is eligible to be used with the TM discount (REDcard in your name, Target Credit Union card in your name, Target gift card) or they won't adjust.

I believe if you have an item in your cart online and you want to price match the support chat will change the price for you. I don't recall if they change it after you purchase it or not.

I believe if you have an item in your cart online and you want to price match the support chat will change the price for you. I don't recall if they change it after you purchase it or not.

The reps change it for you after placing the order because they need to be able to access the order within your account to make any changes.

Last edited:
In my experience, you don’t get the full price difference when taking into account the price match + discounts. Example, $200 item, order it with my TM discount and red card so I paid $171. Call to price match to $150. They refunded me $21 even though if I had matched it to $150 in store I would have paid $128.25 so I should have gotten a $42.75 refund.

That’s why I stick to price matching in store and don’t bother with it online unless it’s an exceptional deal I’m matching.

Does your store allow your TMs to "work around" the TM discount restrictions against VISA/Mastercard/Amex/Discover/debit payments by letting a TM load a Target giftcard using those non-approved credit or debit forms of payment? I looked at the TM Discount policy and it clearly says that kind of "work around" to avoid the restrictions is not allowed and could result in discipline. How is your store handling this?

FYI I would not risk my job over the TM discount, even if the likelihood of being caught isn't high. If I want to load a Target giftcard I'll pay with cash, unless this is a giftcard I'm actually giving to somebody else as a gift and won't personally be using.

I didn't know price matching online is allowed. It's rare that I've thought of doing that anyway, but if a situation comes up where I want to, I know now.

Does your store allow your TMs to "work around" the TM discount restrictions against VISA/Mastercard/Amex/Discover/debit payments by letting a TM load a Target giftcard using those non-approved credit or debit forms of payment? I looked at the TM Discount policy and it clearly says that kind of "work around" to avoid the restrictions is not allowed and could result in discipline. How is your store handling this?

FYI I would not risk my job over the TM discount, even if the likelihood of being caught isn't high. If I want to load a Target giftcard I'll pay with cash, unless this is a giftcard I'm actually giving to somebody else as a gift and won't personally be using.
My store has fired TMs for using that "work around".

Are we taxed on our TM discount? I was looking through targetpayandbenefits.com and saw that it tracks how much I've saved and includes it in my total hourly compensation. If we are, I feel like that's something they should have told us during orientation

My store ignores it.

Are we taxed on our TM discount? I was looking through targetpayandbenefits.com and saw that it tracks how much I've saved and includes it in my total hourly compensation. If we are, I feel like that's something they should have told us during orientation
The answer is both "yes" and "no".
Savings from TM discount cards issued to yourself and your eligible spouse/family member are NOT taxable income.
Savings from TM discount cards issued to your registered"domestic partner" (which Target allows) ARE taxable. That's because of the IRS rules.

The answer is both "yes" and "no".
Savings from TM discount cards issued to yourself and your eligible spouse/family member are NOT taxable income.
Savings from TM discount cards issued to your registered"domestic partner" (which Target allows) ARE taxable. That's because of the IRS rules.
Gotcha, thank you! Since it's only me using the discount as I dont have any dependents then I shouldn't have to worry about being taxed on it

I don't do that because I have a RedCard but there have been times where I bought things for my parents and they paid me back. How could they provide proof I am doing that in any way?

I don't do that because I have a RedCard but there have been times where I bought things for my parents and they paid me back. How could they provide proof I am doing that in any way?
They can’t. Pro tip: if your parents have an RC, add yourself as an authorized user. Card is in your name, they pay the bill.

They can’t. Pro tip: if your parents have an RC, add yourself as an authorized user. Card is in your name, they pay the bill.

I just use my redcard and TM discount and they transfer it into bank account. I don't do it often but they can't prove I'm doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back