Archived Vacation & Final Paycheck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about vacation payout, the 'new' vacation policy, and getting your final paycheck. I'll be putting in my notice soon and I want to use my vacation hours before I go (although I don't have a lot, but I still want it).

- I have like .05 of that old vacation payout that I need to use before I can use my six-ish of hours of new vacation pay. So can I use those in one week? If yes, how can I go about using those all of those in one week. I tried to ask HR about this, but I couldn't really get an answer.
- I know you need to submit a request in order to get vacation pay. Can HR deny these even if you are scheduled below your average hours? I was wondering because you have to click that button that says something like "I understand HR needs to review this request" and I'm a bit worried it will be denied if I've already given my notice. I tried to request it for last week because I was below my average hours, but I guess I was too late to submit the request. HR mentioned this when I asked about using the two different vacations pay types.
- If I tell HR that I cannot have my last paycheck mailed to me because I will be moving somewhere without access to mail service do they allow people to pick it up? If the last paycheck has to be mailed than I'll be forced to quit earlier to make sure I get that check. I've read on here about people who seem to wait forever for their final paycheck, but if you ask to pick it up do they allow it?

Last edited:
Use any sick or personal leave first before you give notice. Vacation time will be paid to you. I am not sure on the last check thing. I do know if you don't get the check, it will take some time to get a replacement check,

You can use vacation payout and vacation in the same week as long as you don't go over your average hours. You may have to do separate requests though.

I've never heard of HR denying vacation pay. What are they going to say if you complain? "I denied it because I'm a dick?"

Vacation time will be paid to you.
Only in states where they are legally required to do so.

Last edited:
You can use vacation payout and vacation in the same week as long as you don't go over your average hours. You may have to do separate requests though.

I've never heard of HR denying vacation pay. What are they going to say if you complain? "I denied it because I'm a dick?"

Only in states where they are legally required to do so (which is not many).
From another thread:
3. I have accrued vacation time/sick time/personal leave days that I will not use before leaving my company. Is the company required to pay me for that time?
It depends on the type of leave that you have. 24 states--Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island (after one year of employment), Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wyoming--and the District of Columbia require that your employer include any unused vacation pay that has accrued (that you would have been entitled to use) in your final paycheck.

Thanks for the responses.

I was able to use my vacation time (I didn't have any sick or personal pay). Although it was a bit of a struggle... but dealing with HR is often a struggle. But in the end I finally got them to agree to let me use my vacation for a week I was under my average.

I also decided just to give my notice early in case the check ends up being mailed to me. I'm going to try to figure out the details this week. Hopefully I can just pick it up like I've always done, but even if I can't I'll have several weeks before I move and lose access to mail service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back