Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're looking to promote to ETL at any point, I would stick with senior. Way more chances to be global and flex your leadership muscles. If you're looking for an easier job though, VML is the way to go.

You are right. I will probably end up staying a Sr. I just really like merchandising and for some reason this position feels like it would be a little less stressful then balancing Sr and PPTL.

What I don't understand is why this position is a pg 17 when it is clearly less responsibility then the price and presentation TL. And that position is a 13. I've read the job description it reads like it is just a sm part of the PPTL job a very sm part. I guess I'm just a little confused. I've been around a long time and to me this looks like another teamlead position that will be gone in a few years.

I agree. We don't have the new home innovation in our store so the TL won't have to deal with that and they will have a smaller team. I don't see why it would be the same pg as a Sr when they will have half of the responsibilities that we have and also half the responsibilities of a regular PPTL. Why can a Sr be a PPTL with all of that to deal with but can't be a VML? Unless they are going to merge the 2 positions at some point down the road and make the PPTL also the VM and they don't want a Sr to have all of that.

When I first heard about it at our store, i was like seriously. My HR thought it was for the good. In the past year we have been cutting down the number of TL and now this. I hope they better give us the hours for this VML otherwise it will be another bullshit position to take away more team member to help around the store. The team we have at our store are already doing great with VA and such unless we transition into a mannequin store and home innovation store.

You are right. I will probably end up staying a Sr. I just really like merchandising and for some reason this position feels like it would be a little less stressful then balancing Sr and PPTL.

I agree. We don't have the new home innovation in our store so the TL won't have to deal with that and they will have a smaller team. I don't see why it would be the same pg as a Sr when they will have half of the responsibilities that we have and also half the responsibilities of a regular PPTL. Why can a Sr be a PPTL with all of that to deal with but can't be a VML? Unless they are going to merge the 2 positions at some point down the road and make the PPTL also the VM and they don't want a Sr to have all of that.
I love my job (PPTL) I have been asked to apply for for the VM position. The extra money sounds great less stress sounds great. Honestly I would do both it seems to me the pptl's who do there job completely/correctly already do both. We do not have the home remodel. So half the job is gone.

Can someone who has this position let us know what your job responsibilities are.

Memo said there was an issue and to repost in jas between 21 and 25 of August...keep checking.

Will this affect me doing the adjacency? I get a lot of my hours doing that and I'm wondering if this new position will change it? I'm on the TL bench, but nobody has approached me about this. The position did just get posted today though.

Will this affect me doing the adjacency? I get a lot of my hours doing that and I'm wondering if this new position will change it? I'm on the TL bench, but nobody has approached me about this. The position did just get posted today though.

If you don't get a TL position, you may be on the VM team since you're familiar with the process of setting adjacencies.

no matter what hq says, my store won't get it. No payroll. I'm in a Supertarget. hardlines and softlines only gets 160 hours a week each. We only have 1 Hardlines tl.

no matter what hq says, my store won't get it. No payroll. I'm in a Supertarget. hardlines and softlines only gets 160 hours a week each. We only have 1 Hardlines tl.
I'd be extremely surprised if that was the case. Home is a focus for Target right now, and the extra hours are specifically added for your store for VM. It's a separate bucket than Hardlines and Softlines.

Can someone who has this position let us know what your job responsibilities are.
Maintaining the brand of the home innovation VIAs and softlines mannequins. If your store doesn't have the home innovation remodel I'd assume it would be generally maintaining the brand of the home area. In any occasion, once you're in role you'll be sent incredibly specific merchandising guidelines and POGs specific to your store layout.

I can tell right you off the bat: it's incredibly less stressful! As the (Sr) TL in charge of domestics, my VML reports to me. It's crazy that he's the same PG as me, when I have to balance an area, LOD shifts and a much larger team. If I didn't want to promote to ETL, I would have jumped all over that position when it opened.

Last edited:
I seriously hope when we get my VMTL, they take over all of softlines adjacencies. That would be awesome :) right now they need some loving.. and having a dedicated team setting them and holding them accountable would be beneficial for my store. My softlines TL just can't cut it.. give her the POGS and she's ok. But give her an adjacency and it takes 3 times as long as it's supposed to

I seriously hope when we get my VMTL, they take over all of softlines adjacencies. That would be awesome :) right now they need some loving.. and having a dedicated team setting them and holding them accountable would be beneficial for my store. My softlines TL just can't cut it.. give her the POGS and she's ok. But give her an adjacency and it takes 3 times as long as it's supposed to
PPTL should be overseeing the process.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="MrGlobal, post: 215279, member: 12471"I can tell right you off the bat: it's incredibly less stressful! As the (Sr) TL in charge of domestics, my VML reports to me. It's crazy that he's the same PG as me, when I have to balance an area, LOD shifts and a much larger team. If I didn't want to promote to ETL, I would have jumped all over that position when it opened.[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute - the VML reports to you and you are both the same pay grade? How does that work? That doesn't seem right at all. I really don't understand the VML being a pg17... I feel like I am missing something.

What I don't get is how it would work in a store with a non-senior PPTL. It would be pretty bitter and awkward between them if the VML had to report to the PPTL who makes several dollars less per hour.

PPTL should bo overseeing the process.
What I don't get is how it would work in a store with a non-senior PPTL. It would be pretty bitter and awkward between them if the VML had to report to the PPTL who makes several dollars less per hour.
I'm one of those non sr PPTL. I didn't want the extra responsibility of a key. And yes I am bitter and the job hasn't even been filled. Its just the idea of this job being a pg17.

Wait a minute - the VML reports to you and you are both the same pay grade? How does that work? That doesn't seem right at all. I really don't understand the VML being a pg17... I feel like I am missing something.

It's not right, but sadly you're not missing anything. :/

I was told they'll report to ETL SF. Not sure if you have separate HL and SL.
Technically he does report to the ETL-HL, but day to day he reports and takes direction from me. My ETL-HL only steps in when something's the matter, and in those cases he tells me and I pass it along to the VML. I'm sure that varies store to store though, as I'm a senior and my ETL has a lot of trust in me to run my area.

I make more than any of the supervisors that I have had. I've worked at Spot for a long time. There is no problem. It is what it is. I'm trying to figure out what responsibilities make this a pg17, though.

Last edited:
Idk what pg 17 translates to on average, but they are looking for people with 1-2 years experience according to the job post. According to glassdoor the national average (it's not based on enough submissions to be accurate imo... only 323 salaries submitted) is only 38k.

I'm still having issues seeing it for internal application. If hrtm can't figure it out tomorrow I'm going to have to have the stl just figure out a way to manually input my application.

I'm still having issues seeing it for internal application. If hrtm can't figure it out tomorrow I'm going to have to have the stl just figure out a way to manually input my application.
Conference call this morning explained everything. Got a little info as I left today. I'll find out more tomorrow.

Conference call this morning explained everything. Got a little info as I left today. I'll find out more tomorrow.
Hrtm can see it on her dash. Since she knows I know it's open she can't pretend it's not. And she thought I should have got the last tl spot I applied for, so she's as on my side as I can get...she was in a meeting when I had to leave though so no follow up after talking this morning.

I make more than any of the supervisors that I have had. I've worked at Spot for a long time. There is no problem. It is what it is. I'm trying to figure out what responsibilities make this a pg17, though.

Its a specialized role that is more "artistic" than we are used to. Its like a PMT or APL in the same regards that they are seeking interior decorators or fashion experts to work in our stores (to support the new renovations and innovation remodels coming to stores). PMTs, APLs, and VMLs are all high PG positions that do not have a team themselves, answer directly to an ETL, and execute a certain workload specialized in stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back