wages

So i’ve worked at target for 11 yrs, next month will make it 12 yrs. I’m part of the inbound team we use to be the flow team. i work in receiving during the truck unload as a sorter. over the years ive worked really hard. i’ve had tremendous back pain with all the heavy lifting. my problem is how am i only making $15 which is minimum wage that’s the same amount a new team member would make just starting at target? How is that even fair ive invested over a decade of time into this company to only be making minimum wage. I can’t stress enough how this makes no sense can someone please give me some feedback.

And companies wonder why people are bailing out of restaurant and retail jobs to figure out another way to make a living.

And welcome to the sight.

Welcome-Aboard-Devid-Tennant-On-Doctor-Who.gif

So i’ve worked at target for 11 yrs, next month will make it 12 yrs. I’m part of the inbound team we use to be the flow team. i work in receiving during the truck unload as a sorter. over the years ive worked really hard. i’ve had tremendous back pain with all the heavy lifting. my problem is how am i only making $15 which is minimum wage that’s the same amount a new team member would make just starting at target? How is that even fair ive invested over a decade of time into this company to only be making minimum wage. I can’t stress enough how this makes no sense can someone please give me some feedback.
Unless you work in California, Connecticut, Florida, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Illinois, Maryland, or Rhode Island. You are making above minimum wage.

If you work in one of those states just remember what you made when you first started and even with a 3.5% or more raise you probably would be making about the same, maybe a little more. It's best not to compare yourself to others and just be happy with what you have.

If you're unhappy try going and finding another job that pays more.

Unless you work in California, Connecticut, Florida, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Illinois, Maryland, or Rhode Island. You are making above minimum wage.

If you work in one of those states just remember what you made when you first started and even with a 3.5% or more raise you probably would be making about the same, maybe a little more. It's best not to compare yourself to others and just be happy with what you have.

If you're unhappy try going and finding another job that pays more.

Seriously?

He has been working hard for the company for more than a decade and he is making the starting wage for people off the street.
For this you want him to be grateful?
WTAF?

$15.00 an hour is not enough to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in most major cities in this country.
There's a reason the states you listed and a number of cities including Seattle have $15.00 as the minimum wage.
It was what I was making as a lead chef in 1991.
Thirty years later and you are supposed to be grateful for that?
I don't fucking think so.

As to finding another job, why do you think so many restaurants and retail stores are having such a hard time finding people?
Could it be that people are tired of making survival wages and barely surviving at that?

Seriously?

He has been working hard for the company for more than a decade and he is making the starting wage for people off the street.
For this you want him to be grateful?
WTAF?

$15.00 an hour is not enough to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in most major cities in this country.
There's a reason the states you listed and a number of cities including Seattle have $15.00 as the minimum wage.
It was what I was making as a lead chef in 1991.
Thirty years later and you are supposed to be grateful for that?
I don't fucking think so.

As to finding another job, why do you think so many restaurants and retail stores are having such a hard time finding people?
Could it be that people are tired of making survival wages and barely surviving at that?
What do you think they should be making? $20 an hour?! They can't pay everyone $20 an hour to be a cashier or to stock shelves. These aren't specialty job, no schooling or anything is required. Target is on par with every equal job out there.

Do you want to pay $10 for a gallon of milk? Or $5 for a loaf of bread? 12 years ago minimum wage at target was $7.75 and now that is basically minimum wage in my state. I get times are tough but they can't go and make adjustments for all the team members. They are doing what's best for them and their share holders which in the long run is all they care about.

I delivered merit increases 2 years in a row where basically veteran team members were getting $.25 and newer team members were getting a dollar or so. I get it sucks but I didn't have a single team member that didn't get an increase in pay during that time and I'm sure there weren't many that didn't.

Hopefully you have some other perks that someone new doesn't have. I've been working part time for target around 10 years. I have worked on Sunday maybe 5 times in the last 7 years when I picked up shifts for someone else. I take several weeks off in the summer (most unpaid) but I still have that option.

Most of target jobs can be pretty much mastered in 4-6 months. I might know a few tricks that a decent 6 month employee doesn't know but they might be stronger than me and have more energy. I've also proven my reliability. When I'm scheduled it will be covered by a competent person. So as long as I can live with the compensation as it is and value the flexibility that I have I stay at Target. Otherwise I need to go someplace else. Target doesn't pay team members for long time work and reliability for a skill set that only takes months to learn. I realized that 7 years ago. I am glad I didn't just come to that conclusion now.

Hopefully you have some other perks that someone new doesn't have. I've been working part time for target around 10 years. I have worked on Sunday maybe 5 times in the last 7 years when I picked up shifts for someone else. I take several weeks off in the summer (most unpaid) but I still have that option.

Most of target jobs can be pretty much mastered in 4-6 months. I might know a few tricks that a decent 6 month employee doesn't know but they might be stronger than me and have more energy. I've also proven my reliability. When I'm scheduled it will be covered by a competent person. So as long as I can live with the compensation as it is and value the flexibility that I have I stay at Target. Otherwise I need to go someplace else. Target doesn't pay team members for long time work and reliability for a skill set that only takes months to learn. I realized that 7 years ago. I am glad I didn't just come to that conclusion now.
Target for team members is not a career even for most leaders it isn't either. I think the people who make Target a long term "career" are Team Leaders above or below it's something that holds most people over while they are going to school or graduating from school and finding a job in their field. For the most part Target provides a flexible job that allows people to earn a decent wage. Most team members in my store are students, stay at home moms or retired people working to keep busy.

More like
What do you think they should be making? $20 an hour?! They can't pay everyone $20 an hour to be a cashier or to stock shelves. These aren't specialty job, no schooling or anything is required. Target is on par with every equal job out there.

Do you want to pay $10 for a gallon of milk? Or $5 for a loaf of bread? 12 years ago minimum wage at target was $7.75 and now that is basically minimum wage in my state. I get times are tough but they can't go and make adjustments for all the team members. They are doing what's best for them and their share holders which in the long run is all they care about.

I delivered merit increases 2 years in a row where basically veteran team members were getting $.25 and newer team members were getting a dollar or so. I get it sucks but I didn't have a single team member that didn't get an increase in pay during that time and I'm sure there weren't many that didn't.

More like $25.00 and hour if you match hourly wage to productivity and cost of living.
The minimum wage was supposed to be enough for someone to live on and I mean a sustainable life with a home, food on the table, and no fear of going broke.
Denmark and other Nordic countries pays their employees that much and their prices aren't that much higher than ours.
Those countries have solid union representation at every level.

1_rss.png

More like

More like $25.00 and hour if you match hourly wage to productivity and cost of living.
The minimum wage was supposed to be enough for someone to live on and I mean a sustainable life with a home, food on the table, and no fear of going broke.
Denmark and other Nordic countries pays their employees that much and their prices aren't that much higher than ours.
Those countries have solid union representation at every level.

1_rss.png
So you think Target should be paying a 16 year old $25 an hour?

What you are talking about isn't realistic, Target would have to raise the price of every single item they sell significantly.

Also in my store that does $25 million a year that would be over $3.5 million in payroll on just hourly team members.

So you think Target should be paying a 16 year old $25 an hour?

What you are talking about isn't realistic, Target would have to raise the price of every single item they sell significantly.

Also in my store that does $25 million a year that would be over $3.5 million in payroll on just hourly team members.

Targets profits for 2020 was $93.56 billion.
I think they can afford to pay their people.
I repeat, plenty of countries pay high wages without jacking up prices.
They also have different rates of pay for minors.

The thing I can't understand if the minimum wage was fine as the living wage back in the 60s, why can't it be today, besides corporate greed?

Targets profits for 2020 was $93.56 billion.
I think they can afford to pay their people.
I repeat, plenty of countries pay high wages without jacking up prices.
They also have different rates of pay for minors.
I realize they made a lot of money but it's what businesses go into business for. BTW, 93 billion was Targets 2020 revenue, I'm sure it was just a quick google result and they still profited a ton but you probably cut that number in more than half. If you don't like it find a better paying job, go to school to better yourself etc. I've been told this exact thing on this board in regards to covid protocols and it applies here.

I realize they made a lot of money but it's what businesses go into business for. BTW, 93 billion was Targets 2020 revenue, I'm sure it was just a quick google result and they still profited a ton but you probably cut that number in more than half. If you don't like it find a better paying job, go to school to better yourself etc. I've been told this exact thing on this board in regards to covid protocols and it applies here.

Ah yes, the worlds laziest response to injustice and wrongs.
If you don't like it, go someplace else.
Ad to that the boomer response of, just get a better job, go to school, improve yourself.
Damn, you checked off all the boxes.

I'm sure a whole bunch of people can chime in on how they have degrees but there are no jobs available in their field.
Or how retail is the only thing in their area since all the production jobs have left.
Hell, I was a trained VRA - Vocational Rehabilitation - when I was working for Spot but there were none of those jobs in Jersey.

I'm lucky living in Alaska again that I have contacts in the VR so I was able to get back into the field.
For most people it's not that easy.

The comments about the Covid protocols are not the same.
My employer wants me to get vaccinated because I work with people who can't.
So I'm obligated to do my most to not threaten their health.
I would do it because it is an important part of my job, even if I didn't already personally believe in it.

Why is it always someone else's fault or something of the like? You have the life you work for or you inherit if you are that lucky. No jobs in your area? Move to a place there is. Someone who wants to be a fisherman cant live in the desert. Life is what you make it and you and you alone have the power to change it.

Also my comment about being told if I don't like a possible vaccine mandate then I should leave is less relevant to me saying leave if you don't like the pay. I started working at Target before they instituted any type of vaccine requirements etc. They have been handling the pay increases and raises to minimum wage before I even arrived so I knew what was in store for me when I started.

it’s funny that people continually make arguments that people should go and get a “better job” or whatever when they are getting the jobs they have just so that they can barely eke out an existence.

world full of heartless folks
If you're barely eking out an existence I feel sorry for you and no one is going to hand you a better existence. People rise up and overcome their situations all the time and it's by working hard, not by complaining your billion dollar corporation isnt paying you enough. If you are pissed that Brian Cornell makes so much money then why don't you take his job?

If you're barely eking out an existence I feel sorry for you and no one is going to hand you a better existence. People rise up and overcome their situations all the time and it's by working hard, not by complaining your billion dollar corporation isnt paying you enough. If you are pissed that Brian Cornell makes so much money then why don't you take his job?

In the old days people rose up and used guillotines to deal with these kinds of problems.
Is that what you have in mind, because I really don't see you providing other options.

Target just wants bodies, so they currently value newer hires more than long term. its all about the numbers, quantity over quality. otherwise why would a new hire sign on bonus be 10 times the 25 year service award. Because bringing new people in the door takes priority over everything, including taking care of their current teams.

In the old days people rose up and used guillotines to deal with these kinds of problems.
Is that what you have in mind, because I really don't see you providing other options.
Options for what? If you didn't like your job or were underpaid in the old days they cut off your head or did you cut off your own head?

Options for what? If you didn't like your job or were underpaid in the old days they cut off your head or did you cut off your own head?

I'm sorry, I hate it when my references are too obscure for people.
After all the French Revolution and the people rising up against the rich was a long time ago.
Have to work on that and do better.

More recently, when my grandfather was a young man, they organized into hardcore unions and fought the companies.
And I do mean fought, like with bullets and bombs.
The companies hired thugs to shoot you for organizing and dropped dynamite into peoples homes.

Just letting the company shove what they want to down your throat is not how this works.
Fighting back is the way America works.

Fighting back is the way America works.

Worked. Fighting back was the way America worked.

Sad to say battles are fought with dollars these days, which is why you're never going to change it. Nothing short of a mass culture cancelling of Target would scare shareholders enough to make any changes. And that's never ever going to happen because people do love them some Target.

As for making more money, when the minimum wage rises it doesn't raise your wage, it raises your potential earnings. There is no reason why any company should pay you more simply because you've been around longer. If you want more money then you learn new skills and get a promotion or find yourself a better position. Now that is how America works.

It's not fair. This is your opportunity to leave Target try another job where you might make more or be happier or work Less hours for the same pay. And then if you don't like it you can come back to Target and not have lost any pay level

Work in the stores? You got it made...take the $15 and be quiet. Take advantage of the new education money and get into a program that will get a new higher paying position.

Back