Archived Walmart raising starting pay to $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So then why does Target charge the same price for items online and in my store here, on the east coast, as in a store in CA ?????
If I remember correctly online prices vary based on your zipcode. I may be wrong though.

So then why does Target charge the same price for items online and in my store here, on the east coast, as in a store in CA ?????
Big things like housing, energy, and taxes are varied depending on location and that is what would be factored into the cost of living.

Even items that are the same price in Targets around the country will end up different prices at the register once sales tax is factored in.

Target had responded that they prefer to have the local area competitive wage, if they had a flat $10 pay rate then it wouldn't make much of a difference in NYC or etc where the pay is $9.50. Then a bunch of other jibberish to say we don't want to pay them more in a press friendly way.

How hard is it to pay a decent wage? The higher ups would have to take a cut but they'd still be making a lot of money
the Target Corp Mail Room person probably makes $4+ more an hour than a TL, very sad.

No wonder why someone who (I think) was going to get a corporate job was all no no for a raise in TMs minimum wage on here

Sounds like public pressure does work.

But just raising it to $9 doesn't help the people above that amount. A lot will be making after a few years of service what the new people walking theough the door get.

Sounds like public pressure does work.

But just raising it to $9 doesn't help the people above that amount. A lot will be making after a few years of service what the new people walking theough the door get.
yeah, in certain states the $9 will be wonderful if it happens, i'm in fl and i'd be bumped up .75 cents, but once i move back to ny $9 will be the min wage (starting dec) and the cost of living there is more, even $10 an hour which is what I was paid before I moved from ny wasn't enough also more taxes are taken out of your paycheck there, for instance in fl i'm getting $70 more per bi monthly paycheck than i was in ny because they don't charge state tax here. There are many variables all companies need to consider when setting workers pay.

Last edited:
I was told we're bumping everyone up to $9 next month. Sounds great, and as I'm still under $9 ($8.45 as a GSA, been with the company 2.5 years.) I'm glad my pay will be going up right along with it. What I'm NOT cool with, is dealing the the ETLs breathing down my neck all freaking day telling me my checklane endcaps need filling, I need to be jumping on a lane, Guest Service needs help & Starbucks needs change RIGHT NOW, this guest wants to be a little bitch for no reason and don't DARE try and pass her off on an LOD, and for god's sake can you hold a gun to this guest's head and make them get a red card??? when half the time I don't even have the time or coverage to take the 15 minute break I'm supposedly entitled to....but yet I make the same as the brand new cashier that just fucking stands there and stares at the ceiling if she doesn't have a guest?? Our AP team member is a little pissed as well. He'll now be making 40 cents more than a cashier.

Hmm are Tls and sr. Tls getting this pay raise too? Are my gsas also getting this? What about the food service team who already making 9 since they are n09 at my store? Questions and more questions thats what it feels like to me

If base pay is raised at your store, then base pay for all pay grades is effectively raised. All higher pay grades are based off the N03 pay grade. So say that $8 was the N03 base at your store. If your N03 base goes up to $9, every other pay grade should jump a dollar as well (assuming the pay grade differences stay the same). You will only see a raise if you are making less than the new base for your pay grade, in which case you'll be bumped up to the new starting pay grade base.

So let's say you're a perishables assistant, N09, and the N09 base pay is N03 base pay + $1. Let the N03 base pay in this store be $8.25, which makes N09 base pay $9.25. If N03 gets bumped to $9, then the N09 should be bumped up $10. If you are currently making $10 or more per hour you will see no change. If you are currently making less than $10 an hour, you will see a bump up to $10. Any other new PAs will also be hired on at $10.

But merit raises added to your new base will be nice, although they may not amount to much of a difference. Considering that the old regime would've given everyone merit raises and then bumped up base pay a couple months later effectively nullifying a large percentage of merit raises... This at least seems like a step in the right direction for the new leadership to establish a different, healthier culture.

Last edited:
"Source: Team Leader at Target"

That means this is legit, guys!

You forgot to include the TL's picture, here's my sketch of the guy:

leprechaun.jpg

"Source: Team Leader at Target"

That means this is legit, guys!

I have heard this at my store as well. The STL had a meeting with the TLs on Friday and told them about it.

Supposedly there will be "adjustments" to everyone's pay even if you already make $9/hr. But that sounds like it's just the difference between the pay grades.

I actually checked through media earlier today to confirm this whole pay raise thing, and couldn't find an article. Which was surprising to me as well.

I've heard the $9 thing but I've also heard they won't be making any changes at all. Didn't their spokeswoman say everyone is paid above the federal minimum and that's good enough?

There used to be a time when you could say, Walmart is so much shittier than Target. Now a Walmart cashier makes more than a Target GSA -- a "manager." What a slap in the face.

I actually checked through media earlier today to confirm this whole pay raise thing, and couldn't find an article. Which was surprising to me as well.
same here, only the reddit link has any information, you would think that target would be letting the media know, unless they are scrambling for excuses after they already made several dumb points about why they aren't doing it only last month.

They don't want to let the media know, if they did, it would like Wally World pressured them into making that decision, whereas if they quietly do it and let it spread via word of mouth, it's easier for them to take a stance of "this was a planned investment" rather than "we're playing catch up"

They don't want to let the media know, if they did, it would like Wally World pressured them into making that decision, whereas if they quietly do it and let it spread via word of mouth, it's easier for them to take a stance of "this was a planned investment" rather than "we're playing catch up"
Then, spot says don't talk about your pay to the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back