Archived Walmart raising starting pay to $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying that you and I don't deserve nice things
But then you said...
I just don't really think you and I really need them,
Aaaand there it is. "I'm not saying we shouldn't have nice things but then I said we just don't need them." So then I guess everyone lives in a gray soviet apartment building with graffiti on the walls because we don't really "NEED" anything more. We all get rid of our Internet because we don't really "need" it, we can just do paper job applications, bank statements, etc.

For all the stress everyone here puts up with at target and the amount of money the company makes off of that stress and hard work, to not even pay a bonus when WALMART does is insulting.

Seriously I'm going to a company with lower stress, a much smaller working environment, (<10 employees) and I'm going to be paid more for it. I promise if you look you can get more than what you're getting at target. No one should just "accept" shitty pay like that, it allows companies to lowball your work and trap you in the same shit position if you won't leave for better pay.

Like I said befo5 million $8.60/hr.... which I live fine off of. I mean, I have no kids, and I also have roommates, so that helps. But, I also am very smart with my money. I live a lifestyle that SHOULD be lived with someone that makes what I make. I don't mean to offend some people, but if you barely can make ends meet, maybe you shouldn't have gotten that new Ipod or that new car. I am not saying that you and I don't deserve nice things, I just don't really think you and I really need them, and I know that if I do want them, I will have to get a job outside of retail, so that I can afford those things without having to live paycheck to paycheck, because I have no desire to move up from where I am now, too much stress, not worth the pay increase.

And I know people who live completely off the grid.
The only work barter jobs or under the table, they dumpster dive, grow their own herbs only wear second hand clothes, ride bikes, build computers from old cases and find open wifi, live in squats or homestead and pretty much survive on the margins.
The fact is most people cant live like that.

More than 5 million people work in retail and they make on average just $25,310 a year.
That's lower than the national average of $45,790.
Retail wages are below the poverty line of an average family and since these days most retail workers are not teenagers or college kids but people with families that sucks.

But then you said...

Aaaand there it is. "I'm not saying we shouldn't have nice things but then I said we just don't need them." So then I guess everyone lives in a gray soviet apartment building with graffiti on the walls because we don't really "NEED" anything more. We all get rid of our Internet because we don't really "need" it, we can just do paper job applications, bank statements, etc.

For all the stress everyone here puts up with at target and the amount of money the company makes off of that stress and hard work, to not even pay a bonus when WALMART does is insulting.

Seriously I'm going to a company with lower stress, a much smaller working environment, (<10 employees) and I'm going to be paid more for it. I promise if you look you can get more than what you're getting at target. No one should just "accept" shitty pay like that, it allows companies to lowball your work and trap you in the same shit position if you won't leave for better pay.

No one should be proud of what Target pays, not even Target. It's completely insulting to give people 2-4% raises annually and they're already at or around minimum wage. There's no reason someone with 6 years of experience with your company should only be making barely a dollar above minimum wage. Even people who have no ambitin to promote beyond their current position deserve to be compensated properly.

I just want to say to everyone with years of experience with Target still making less than $9-10 an hour, you deserve better. You're letting Target exploit you, even if you don't want a job with a lot of stress or responsibility that's no reason they should be able to throw that kind of shit pay at you. There's plenty of retail jobs out there that pay more and won't be any more stressful than Target (maybe even less stressful, actually). Don't let them take advantage of you any longer, get out and go to a retailer that at least makes an attempt to take care of their employees (which is just about all the other retailers at this point...).

Everyone keeps talking about all of these better paying retailers yet they still work at Target! Go work for them! No one is stopping you. Other retailers love Target employees because they feel like we are the golden standard of what a retail employee should be. If you can get a job at Target you should be able to get a job at a different retailer based off your experience.

I was able to mostly escape retail and I have tried to bring as many people as I could with me to my new job or the ones who I felt deserved it and you would be shocked at how many of these great workers who I couldnt even get to fill out an application for a new job that had better pay, weekends off and a normal work schedule. I still hang with them from time to time and I still here them moan and groan about how much they hate Target. Help yourself! Improve your life and dont expect it to just be given to you.

Everyone keeps talking about all of these better paying retailers yet they still work at Target! Go work for them! No one is stopping you. Other retailers love Target employees because they feel like we are the golden standard of what a retail employee should be. If you can get a job at Target you should be able to get a job at a different retailer based off your experience.

I was able to mostly escape retail and I have tried to bring as many people as I could with me to my new job or the ones who I felt deserved it and you would be shocked at how many of these great workers who I couldnt even get to fill out an application for a new job that had better pay, weekends off and a normal work schedule. I still hang with them from time to time and I still here them moan and groan about how much they hate Target. Help yourself! Improve your life and dont expect it to just be given to you.

Sad to say a lot of people tend to stick with the devil they know as opposed to the one they don't.
This explains the bulk of our politician.

And I know people who live completely off the grid.
The only work barter jobs or under the table, they dumpster dive, grow their own herbs only wear second hand clothes, ride bikes, build computers from old cases and find open wifi, live in squats or homestead and pretty much survive on the margins.
The fact is most people cant live like that.

More than 5 million people work in retail and they make on average just $25,310 a year.
That's lower than the national average of $45,790.
Retail wages are below the poverty line of an average family and since these days most retail workers are not teenagers or college kids but people with families that sucks.
Ok, so I'm fairly new to SPOT, but in the short time I've been there I see a lot of inequities. People working there for 12 years plus and still only making $10 an hour??? Yet the pay increases at the top have multiplied by how much?

Everyone that's been saying they're happy with whatever $7/8 hr they're getting from spot must have really low self-esteem. If that is all you see yourself worth, I sincerely feel sorry for you and whatever negative experiences you've had in life that led you to believing such nonsense.

Hey now, I said it'd be easier to deal with it if my schedule was better. It'd be like a spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down lol.

Someone mentioned leaving.. gotta realize that everyone's situation is different. Regional unemployment rates differ, then do they drive or rely on a subpar transit system, probably some other factors...

A few of my coworkers are gonna try Walmart. Some of them just don't care because they're older and/or have a spouse who has a job that supports the family.

That's 12.17 per hour.

Not so shabby!

Hate to say it but that's averaging in all the hourly retail workers.
So you are including the people who work at Costco who are making $20.00 an hour.
It takes a lot of people making a lot less to make up for one of them.
It also includes the TL at Target who are hourly.
You understand that this is the national average?

Hey now, I said it'd be easier to deal with it if my schedule was better. It'd be like a spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down lol.

Someone mentioned leaving.. gotta realize that everyone's situation is different. Regional unemployment rates differ, then do they drive or rely on a subpar transit system, probably some other factors...

A few of my coworkers are gonna try Walmart. Some of them just don't care because they're older and/or have a spouse who has a job that supports the family.

Speaking of schedules, Walmart also made this announcement about scheduling: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102447646

I really like working at Target. The people I work with are fun and very team-oriented. Sometimes I have a bad day and get cranky, but people are very tolerant of my personality quirks. I try to be understanding when LODs have a bad day too. I worked as a claims adjuster for 27 years, I made more money, but I was miserable and ended up unable to work for 2and a half years. Target has allowed me to get some self esteem and pride and fun back in my life.
As a tm here says, all stores are not the same and I would encourage anyone who is having a bad experience for their own peace of mind as soon as they can. Life is too short. I am happy I have found a place where people accept me for who I am. We all deserve that in life.

"Wal-Mart's an industry mover and people look at what they do," said Charlie DeWitt, vice president of business development for Kronos workforce management firm. "If Wal-Mart says it's good business to invest in your employees, you've got to think that a lot of the rest of the retail industry's going to follow that lead."

Apologies for the large font here but

no shit, investing in your employees is good business gee it's about time someone realizes this

Sad to say a lot of people tend to stick with the devil they know as opposed to the one they don't.
This explains the bulk of our politician.

Not to mention the fact that some of us live in regions where there are no Costco stores. I would have to drive 2-3 hours to get to the nearest Costco store. Where I live, the only big boxes are Target, Wally World, and the few Kmarts in the area that somehow haven't closed yet.

As a newcomer at target (five months) the wage needs to raise. They expect us to go above and beyond and pay us so little, just because it's an unskilled job. Bad news is, if this continues nobody worth their salt will want to work there, and then you'll have really crappy people that just won't do their job well. Then...bye bye target.

Yeah, that answers that question doesn't it.
The same old wine.
"We're all the time assessing the marketplace to determine competitive wages and making adjustments and we feel very confident that we pay the teams appropriately."
You want to determine competitive wages how about keep this in mind.

I really hate the thought of starting Wal-Mart workers making almost as much as me as a Pfresh Assistant.

They will have to raise wages soon.

I think raising the wages now would be the right decision for many reasons.

But at the same time, Target Canada caused so many millions in losses that it would for sure bankrupt the company in a few years. I think if they are ever going to raise the wages, it better be soon because otherwise TM's are going to jump ship. Hopefully after another quarter of earnings they wise up.

The best line in the article.

" Both executives noted that the company invests in its talent. More than 60 percent of Target's team leaders started out as part-time, hourly associates, according to a Target spokeswoman."

Yeah but the ETLs are 90% right out of school kids with no job experince.

That's because they count on the fact that general population won't understand the different leadership levels and will assume team leaders are just what the title says, and these are the folks running the stores.

There's always a dilemma for me when I encounter discussions in "real life" about Walmart and Target. On the one hand, I want all of you to get more hours, more pay and be treated with dignity. On the other hand, I think the general public needs to know that in many ways Target is worse than Walmart when it comes to employees. Most people seem to equate the "higher class" image of Target with better treatment of its people, and that just isn't accurate in several ways. I sometimes think some people just don't want to know, because they like Target and they don't want to think of themselves as supporting a company that underpays its employees and does some things that they would normally regard as unsavory or unjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back