Archived Walmart raising starting pay to $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to one of my co-workers ( she's older) and she kinda had spot's attitude like blah,blah,blah they pay us well and maybe wal-mart paid them terrible and we should be thankful yep got no sympathy from her..........

I was talking to one of my co-workers ( she's older) and she kinda had spot's attitude like blah,blah,blah they pay us well and maybe wal-mart paid them terrible and we should be thankful yep got no sympathy from her..........

Wait till she finds out that they will have starting cashiers making more than she does and they get regular hours.
Yes, Walmart paid their people badly but they had the spotlight turned on them and didn't like it, so they seem to be trying to fix it.
I'm cautiously optimistic, been screwed before so I'm not going to say it's in the bag.

The funny part is that Spot has been skating by all these years because Walmart has been the bad guy.
Now all of the sudden they are going to have start eating the same dreck that Uncle Wally has been eating for years.
I think it will do them good.
It's about time they got some attention for the way they treat their most important asset.

I know exactly....... but she needs to also look at the bigger picture too I bet she would love to take home a nice 10.00 paycheck I mean I am sure that would be nice I mean I have heard her complain several times about not getting hrs so a nice 10.00 check would be very,very nice of course it won't happy anytime soon of course or probably never but we can dream right......

The best line in the article.

" Both executives noted that the company invests in its talent. More than 60 percent of Target's team leaders started out as part-time, hourly associates, according to a Target spokeswoman."

Yeah but the ETLs are 90% right out of school kids with no job experince.
When I come to that part I laughed outloud and just shook my head. That vast majority of us had to work our way up to Team Leader to only have postions condensed.

Last edited:
What kills me is that Spot outright lied in this article. Lower down they claim that all workers are paid higher than federal, state, and local minimum wage. This is blatantly false, and as long as the public lets them get away with lying, nothing will change.
Have there been many cases where they pay less than the minimum wage? I was under the impression walmart got in trouble for that, along with their off the clock working, but I haven't heard anything for target. They seem to keep their wages above the minimum wage of the area, so if a state's minimum wage is 8.00 they will be at that or more for base pay. It's still shit pay, but it is above the minimum.

Have there been many cases where they pay less than the minimum wage? I was under the impression walmart got in trouble for that, along with their off the clock working, but I haven't heard anything for target. They seem to keep their wages above the minimum wage of the area, so if a state's minimum wage is 8.00 they will be at that or more for base pay. It's still shit pay, but it is above the minimum.
Don't think the issue is them paying less than minimum wage. It's more that they claim their base is higher than the minimum wage, whether federal or state, everywhere. And that's just not true. Some Target's have base pay that is equal to federal or state minimum, whichever is greater. I think my area is something like 30 cents above minimum wage is base, but it's not like that everywhere.

If minimum is say $9 and some Targets use that as base then that's not paying above, that's paying the same.

Last edited:
What kills me is that Spot outright lied in this article. Lower down they claim that all workers are paid higher than federal, state, and local minimum wage. This is blatantly false, and as long as the public lets them get away with lying, nothing will change.

This speaks to another problem, namely the death of good journalism. Good journalists are skeptical and verify claims of the people they interview or omit claims that cannot be verified. You will also observe that the claims of corporations are treated differently than if you or I made a claim to one of these news sources. One goes unchallenged while if you or I made claim as large as this one from the opposite perspective, there would almost certainly be further investigation of the claim. This is how our system has come to work.

This speaks to another problem, namely the death of good journalism. Good journalists are skeptical and verify claims of the people they interview or omit claims that cannot be verified. You will also observe that the claims of corporations are treated differently than if you or I made a claim to one of these news sources. One goes unchallenged while if you or I made claim as large as this one from the opposite perspective, there would almost certainly be further investigation of the claim. This is how our system has come to work.

Journalism by quoting press release.
Kind of like a certain news network that does nothing but spout the talking points of the Republican party.

No, we aren't making less than minimum wage, but at my store, the "competitive" wage the starting cashiers, sales floor and cart attendants make is exactly minimum wage until raise time. They have no right claiming they pay higher when it simply isn't true.

No, we aren't making less than minimum wage, but at my store, the "competitive" wage the starting cashiers, sales floor and cart attendants make is exactly minimum wage until raise time. They have no right claiming they pay higher when it simply isn't true.
Yeah they are lying about that, and it's sad that no one who worked on the article bothered to think "corporations are made for profit" therefore investigate their claims on wages...dumbshits. At my store the starting wage was 8.00 before the state raised their minimum to that, then it got raised to 8.50 shortly after. So I guess in the twin cities they try to hold to that bullshit they portray in the media (.50 cents is almost nothing though). In other areas it's still 7.25, which is really damn sad especially when most of those TMs will be getting 1% raises (like 5 or 10 cents).

sounds like everyone in the front end that works at my store.

Maybe when Mark Dayton gets done being governor of Minnesota he can turn his liberal eye towards the company he stands to inherent.
It would be fun to see him come in and apply some of the things he's done for the state to Spot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-...omy_b_6737786.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063
He and his family don't have any significant ownership interest in Target anymore, despite the "Dayton" heritage. He himself has said that he doesn't own any stock anymore and he stated that his family owns less than 1% of the controlling stock.

He and his family don't have any significant ownership interest in Target anymore, despite the "Dayton" heritage. He himself has said that he doesn't own any stock anymore and he stated that his family owns less than 1% of the controlling stock.
That's sad. There seems to be a correlation between Dayton and his family divesting the company (with other more profit driven investors picking it up) and the company going to shit.
jesus christ that state looks like a liberal paradise.

Would he actually stand a chance of getting in charge of Target though?
But it's cold. Not as bad as the NE has it right now though, and we're more prepared for it anyway. He won't ever be in charge of target again unfortunately, and he seems to have never been very involved at all, spending his time in between politics and drinking binges (understandable given what he faced).

More than 60% of (hourly) Team Leaders started off as part-time hourly Team Members...
As opposed to those non-hourly part-timers? Why even include the fact that they started as hourly employees when they are still hourly? It makes no sense.
Unless of course you were attempting to subtly fool the general populace into thinking a Team Leader is an assistant store manager earning salary to create the illusion that there are opportunities at Target.....

As for the thing about Target paying more than federal and state minimum wage? Well, let's just say if it were a 1st grade math test Target wouldn't be doing so hot.
Greater than is not the same thing as greater than or equal to.

Another reason that Walmart is raising their employees pay, it will make more money for them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/26/walmart-pay-raise_n_6761020.html

But there’s another, urgent reason that Walmart needs to spend more on its workers. The retailing giant needs people to start buying more stuff at Walmart stores. To make this happen, those stores need to be well staffed with happier workers. This is both common sense and proven by a body of research from business professors at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School and elsewhere.

Indeed, for every $1 increase in total payroll, a store could see anywhere from $4 to $28 boost in monthly sales, according to a study of understaffing published in 2007by Wharton professor Marshall Fisher, along with then Wharton professor Serguei Netessine and doctoral student Jayanth Krishnan.

Walmart desperately needs the lift. Even this economic recovery hasn't really helped the chain. Walmart's same-store sales, a key measure of a retailer’s health, declined 0.5 percent in 2014 from the prior year, marking the third year of decline since 2010.

So if Spot wants to make up those losses from Canada, the obvious thing to do is put some money in their TMs pockets so the TMs can spend it in the stores.

On work bench it was talking about goals and stratgey for 2015, my favorite was "Target before Team".

Your team is Target, sheesh.

Another reason that Walmart is raising their employees pay, it will make more money for them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/26/walmart-pay-raise_n_6761020.html

So if Spot wants to make up those losses from Canada, the obvious thing to do is put some money in their TMs pockets so the TMs can spend it in the stores.
OR those same TMs are more productive and loyal, reducing HR costs because there is less turnover and reducing overall payroll costs because a loyal worker will take 1 hour to do a task that would take that new hire 4 hours to do. It's better to keep paying that loyal worker more, or even pay him overtime, than put the new hire in and have them do everything slower. Not that we shouldn't hire new people ever, but you can't treat existing employees like trash and expect your company to be profitable, because they are the ones that make the profit, not the corporate overlords in their fancy office building.

Well, it's technically not a lie at least in Florida, they pay 20 cents over min wage, it's sad but still over min wage :)

I also find it interesting that yesterday at my store we were all subjected to the "no releasing" insider information to anyone outside of Spot including pay and reviews...which we aren't to discuss with anyone. Really? Spot got into trouble just a year ago with the labor board for that, and they are already back to that.

So they will lie to the media and threaten those of us who know the truth with potential criminal charges if we dare say anything. Nice. Real nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back