Water pallets

Why are water pallets being built on blue wood? Asking for a store.
First off, we dont build em. Thats how they come.
Second, the "blue pallets" (they are called "CHEP" pallets) are often used for things like water because they are stronger and easier to load/unload on a trailer (palletized trailers have the pallets loaded sideways for maximum cube).

First off, we dont build em. Thats how they come.
Second, the "blue pallets" (they are called "CHEP" pallets) are often used for things like water because they are stronger and easier to load/unload on a trailer (palletized trailers have the pallets loaded sideways for maximum cube).
So are the red pallets less strong?

We use the blue ones for cardboard bales.

Red pallets arent chep there something else. There used for international shipping and are made of different wood i believe. They are just as strong. Think they are treated for salt water or something. Its been a few years since my supply chain class that i learned about them.

Blue = CHEP
Red = PECO
Black plastic = iGPS
They’re just “higher end” pallet companies. Different producers have contracts with 1 of the 3 (ie. P&G = CHEP, Kraft = PECO) and every time the pallet goes through it’s cycle it gets returned to the pallet company. They then inspect the pallets and make any repairs before it gets used again.

It's baffling to me why inbound will build a giant plain wood pallet (not doubled) of peanut butter that weighs over 2000 pounds whereas other things are put on blue pallets that weigh far less, such as vacuum cleaners or diapers.

It's baffling to me why inbound will build a giant plain wood pallet (not doubled) of peanut butter that weighs over 2000 pounds whereas other things are put on blue pallets that weigh far less, such as vacuum cleaners or diapers.
That’s how those things are built from the vendor. IB doesn’t build on anything other than regular pallets (or at least very rarely). Name brand PB comes on chep/peco pallets, but anything Target brand comes in on regular brown pallets.

Red pallets arent chep there something else. There used for international shipping and are made of different wood i believe. They are just as strong. Think they are treated for salt water or something. Its been a few years since my supply chain class that i learned about them.
My favorite ranked. 1) Black 2) Red 3) Thick heavy regular (Makes a loud thud when smacks the ground because it’s real wood or something idk.) Before Covid we got a lot of good thick regular pallets. Now we have a bunch of cheap pallets. I have been saying something about pallets for the last year. Since summer is almost here the lawn chairs that stack up 20 high and are heavy plus tall are coming out. They are so heavy it will break the little rollers they come on. Trick? Take one pallet put it down and then take another and flip up upside down and place it on top of the other pallet and put the chairs on the upside down one. It supports the chair better and you are able to move it around without it collapsing over. You could get seriously injured because those are very awkward to handle. Just a heads up idk take it or leave it. I’m done with this site

Last edited:

My store has been instructed NOT to use blue pallets for bales. Only "strong" brown pallets. Idk why. Also there was a store wide inventory of CHEP pallets required a week or two ago. Something is going on I assume it's to cut waste of wood since it has become more expensive

My store has been instructed NOT to use blue pallets for bales. Only "strong" brown pallets. Idk why. Also there was a store wide inventory of CHEP pallets required a week or two ago. Something is going on I assume it's to cut waste of wood since it has become more expensive
That is sort of odd to me. Since you would need to be sending back CHEP on sweeps anyway it should all be making its way back to the DC regardless. So I dont see why it couldnt be used for bales.

We take the bales off the pallet and load them in the trailers naked anyway so thats not really the issue.

Is it harder for guys on the sweeps docks to slip their forks under the bales on a CHEP pallet maybe?

That is sort of odd to me. Since you would need to be sending back CHEP on sweeps anyway it should all be making its way back to the DC regardless. So I dont see why it couldnt be used for bales.

We take the bales off the pallet and load them in the trailers naked anyway so thats not really the issue.

Is it harder for guys on the sweeps docks to slip their forks under the bales on a CHEP pallet maybe?
I cant imagine it would be easier to use a regular pallet that has been broken to pieces over a chep pallet that should be able to handle the weight far better.
I know chep used to charge for all their pallets, and am assuming still do, so inventory was probably to make sure they are paying an accurate amount.

On the contrary, it’s far easier.
Only logic I can come up with is since chep pallets are “team lift”, if only 1 person is building the bale at the store they shouldn’t be lifting a chep.

On the contrary, it’s far easier.
Only logic I can come up with is since chep pallets are “team lift”, if only 1 person is building the bale at the store they shouldn’t be lifting a chep.

Last edited:
Use that concrete fire wall and don’t be afraid. Get the gas RC instead of a stand up. It works better. Those bales are heavier than the stand up hahaha
Nah, break too many bales open that way. Just set it sideways in front of the trailer you’re loading and lift 1 side and twist the pallet out til it slides off. Easier to slide your forks under it when it’s on the floor.

How does the Reach trucks PUT some of these pallets coming outta IB away? As soon as you lift the pallet it wants to break due to being overweight and improperly built. How do you get it 5 stories high. Bet it requires concentration and mad skillz.
Look at the data plate. It says how much a reach can lift based off pallet size and extension. Bales are nowhere near the weight of an RC. RCs are counterbalance equipment and weigh about 8 to 10k. They use the weight of the battery and the weight of the equipment to counter the weight of the item they are lifting. It does require some skill on the reach to get stuff up but the reaches are fully capable of lifting whatever IB brings in. There's nothing at Target that will make either of those equipments tip over.

Look at the data plate. It says how much a reach can lift based off pallet size and extension. Bales are nowhere near the weight of an RC. RCs are counterbalance equipment and weigh about 8 to 10k. They use the weight of the battery and the weight of the equipment to counter the weight of the item they are lifting. It does require some skill on the reach to get stuff up but the reaches are fully capable of lifting whatever IB brings in. There's nothing at Target that will make either of those equipments tip over.
It is possible to tip them though extraordinary unlikely. The concrete floors have some pretty nasty dips in them people don’t realize. I’ve rocked my reach pretty hard just doing a quick turn in the wrong spot. I’m sure with a heavy water pallet and an unlucky turn with it in the air it could happen. But we’re talking million to one odds

That’s how those things are built from the vendor. IB doesn’t build on anything other than regular pallets (or at least very rarely). Name brand PB comes on chep/peco pallets, but anything Target brand comes in on regular brown pallets.
Oh really? Did not know that. Good information. Thanks for the info!

It is possible to tip them though extraordinary unlikely. The concrete floors have some pretty nasty dips in them people don’t realize. I’ve rocked my reach pretty hard just doing a quick turn in the wrong spot. I’m sure with a heavy water pallet and an unlucky turn with it in the air it could happen. But we’re talking million to one odds
Yea any equipment will tip or almost tip if making a quick sharp turn. Even a tugger which is a very small equipment. As long as the person driving the equipment isn't taking sharp turns at full speed there is a very low probability for that to happen especially if the load is low to the ground. Reaches are straddle type equipment so the outward feet help keep it balanced. Now when you start raising the forks thats where things become of an even higher odds of tipping since you start shifting the center of gravity of the equipment.

Back