Archived Well I guess I'm going to HR...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few of you know about my issues with my STL taking out her personal issues with me on my schedule. Well Black Friday week had me at 25 hours, and the following week at 15. So I brought it up to the ETL salesfloor today and she told me that since we had a lot of team members right now, they had to be fair and give everyone the same hours. I've been here 4 years. The seasonals haven't been here 4 weeks. How is that fair?

And I know for a fact that many of my fellow team members have between 24-40 hours on the newest schedule. Many who haven't been with Spot very long and don't have completely open availability.

I'm supposed to spend half of my time on inbound, and there are 6 trucks on that schedule, but I'm not on a single one of them.

A few of you know about my issues with my STL taking out her personal issues with me on my schedule. Well Black Friday week had me at 25 hours, and the following week at 15. So I brought it up to the ETL salesfloor today and she told me that since we had a lot of team members right now, they had to be fair and give everyone the same hours. I've been here 4 years. The seasonals haven't been here 4 weeks. How is that fair?
It’s not fair. “(We) had to be fair” in Targetspeak seems to translate into “We are screwing you over but don’t have the common decency to be honest about it”. I don’t know how much help HR will be to you, but I guess you can try. I do wish you luck, but if the STL is being vindictive I don’t think you have much recourse.☹️

Transfer to a higher volume store in your district maybe that’ll work? Anyways inbound/flow always have little hours they got a huge team if you want hours you need to go to market/backroom/flexible fulfillment/gsa

No one ever said retail is fair. Having said that, follow the chain of command and ask your questions.
I wasn't the one to claim that retail was fair though. My ETL was. I was just questioning her bullshit answer. I would have been less angry if she'd given me an honest and straightforward answer.
If they're lowballing you on hours now, during Q4, I can't imagine what it'll be like come February. Seems like you're going to need to do something, unfortunately. Appealing to HR, buddying up with a TL/ETL in another workcenter, finding another store.. or job. :confused:
It hadn't been bad for a while, I was getting almost 30 hours a week, and when I didn't, I was usually able to pick up, but we have no swap shift board for the rest of the month.

As for the workstations, the only schedules she doesn't write are market and POG. Maybe SFS. I can't stand market, and the other two are actually overstaffed right now. And I've been trying to get cross-trained on SFS/flex since it started, but nothing. And I actually get along really well with the ETL-log. If she was writing the flow schedule, I'd probably have been on most of the trucks. I thought I got along with the other ETL but now I'm not so sure. But, other than some of the leadership, I love my store and adore my team and leaving would break my heart. If I had to leave my store, it'd either be to be a team lead (if I absolutely can't be one there) or to leave Spot completely.
Transfer to a higher volume store in your district maybe that’ll work? Anyways inbound/flow always have little hours they got a huge team if you want hours you need to go to market/backroom/flexible fulfillment/gsa
Right now we don't have any other areas to transfer to. And I'm actually softlines (which I absolutely love). I was added back into inbound to sort softlines to make sure it was being done correctly. I was having issues with a flow TM that I worked with when I was originally flow, so we were supposed to alternate shifts. But now she has twice as many hours as me that week, working every truck, being rewarded for bullying not only me, but also multiple other softlines TMs.

Talk to your ETLLOG. Sfs is super easy to learn and wifh as many new people they will be calling you in. It isn't ideal but...
The only thing is that pretty much everything has to be approved by the STL. Our last ETL-log was all for putting me on SFS team too, because he knew how hard I work, but he couldn't get it past her.

If they're lowballing you on hours now, during Q4, I can't imagine what it'll be like come February. Seems like you're going to need to do something, unfortunately. Appealing to HR, buddying up with a TL/ETL in another workcenter, finding another store.. or job. :confused:
Also, we DO have a lot of team members right now. They hired 60 SEASONAL TEAM MEMBERS. Why??? But most of them were Front of Store, SFS, and Flow (but only 2 of the flow are trained to do what I do). We have maybe 4 or 5 extra softlines girls. I really honestly think they only should have hired cashiers, cart attendants, and flow for seasonal. If salesfloor isn't running up for backup every two seconds, they could get everything done. That's really the main reason I don't get my truck push done. That or helping guests, but that's a given. And SFS could be supplemented by POG or other teams that have a light workload that week and need hours. But Target would rather hire 60 idiots to get in the way of the competent team members so they don't have to pay us proper benefits.

At least I know I probably won't lose my Medicaid after all.

Did get called in for an 8 hour shift tomorrow at least. So this week is now 33 hours. I feel a little better, but we'll see how things go.

Quit. I had the same problem. Was only getting two days a week for like 4 months. Was told hours weren't there. Found a job that paid a tiny bit less per hour but I get a full 40. What's 15 bucks an hour when you only work two days
It's only been recently that it's been happening again, so I'm biding my time for a bit. A lot of us think the STL is on the brink of being termed. She technically can't be until February or March for...reasons (if I said why, it might identify her and in turn, identify me), but before those reasons, we thought she was being performanced out. If it doesn't improve soon though, I'm out.

Target would rather hire 60 idiots to get in the way of the competent team members so they don't have to pay us proper benefits..

ASANTS. At my store they go around before 4th quarter and have discussions with team members regarding their availability. It’s so funny when team members at my store are quick to complain about hours but yet refuse to work evenings or weekends. Therefore we have to hire a bunch of team members for 4th quarter to get through because we need them at peak times. Not to say this is your reasoning at all, please don’t think that, this is just one reason we might hire on 60 or so new hires for Christmas. Also bringing on new hires for such a short time isn’t really going to impact someone getting benefits unless you are borderline for qualifying or not. Payroll increases allows for the new hires to have hours so they aren’t taking that many hours from normal team members. Being eligible for benefits is based off of your average hours and what they are when enrollment time rolls around. I’m sorry you are having problems with your STL and not getting hours but have you actually sat down with her and discussed the issue? Maybe ask for a meeting with her and HR and just politely ask why you aren’t getting the hours and what to do to get more. Maybe she’ll realize she’s not being fair or you’ll find out what you did to upset her. What’s the worst that can happen?

Find another job or transfer to SFS. At my store almost everybody has 40 hours and they have been massively hiring seasonal TMs mostly SFS. Most of our sales are SFS. The backrom is full of pallets getting ready for the UPS to pick up. If you go to HR, tell them you want to transfer to SFS.

There are plenty of non-union jobs where it does matter.
Sure, there’s non-union employers out there that will schedule their more veteran employees more but those employees have no more right to those hours than a fresh hire.

ASANTS. At my store they go around before 4th quarter and have discussions with team members regarding their availability. It’s so funny when team members at my store are quick to complain about hours but yet refuse to work evenings or weekends. Therefore we have to hire a bunch of team members for 4th quarter to get through because we need them at peak times. Not to say this is your reasoning at all, please don’t think that, this is just one reason we might hire on 60 or so new hires for Christmas. Also bringing on new hires for such a short time isn’t really going to impact someone getting benefits unless you are borderline for qualifying or not. Payroll increases allows for the new hires to have hours so they aren’t taking that many hours from normal team members. Being eligible for benefits is based off of your average hours and what they are when enrollment time rolls around. I’m sorry you are having problems with your STL and not getting hours but have you actually sat down with her and discussed the issue? Maybe ask for a meeting with her and HR and just politely ask why you aren’t getting the hours and what to do to get more. Maybe she’ll realize she’s not being fair or you’ll find out what you did to upset her. What’s the worst that can happen?
I'm actually planning on discussing what I can do to get more hours. I have a weird circumstance with my availability so I'm going to see how she and I can maybe work around it. If she isn't willing to do that, I might open it up anyway and struggle with making the other thing fit instead of my work hours and see what happens. If my schedule is still awful, well, then we'll see.

How are your store's sales? That could do with sales being restricted.

My store is beating goals by 25% every day and it's hours galore for everyone.

How are your store's sales? That could do with sales being restricted.

My store is beating goals by 25% every day and it's hours galore for everyone.
It's not really a matter of sales though, as I said, most of my fellow team members have at least 25 hours (usually more) while I have 15. And our sales are great. They've been great for months.

It's not really a matter of sales though, as I said, most of my fellow team members have at least 25 hours (usually more) while I have 15. And our sales are great. They've been great for months.
That's strange. People who don't have open availability shouldn't be getting more hours than you, assuming your availability is completely open.

I'd go on Kronos and try to pick up open shifts if I were you.

Edit: And I'm back reading and seeing there's no shifts up for the rest of the month. Keep an eye out and keep checking.

My favorite thing about the seasonals is that like 2/3 don't even last the whole season. Let's hire like 30 new people but not give current TMs the time or resources to train them so they get so fed up that they quit within 3 weeks, and now those hours have been effectively wasted. That sounds like a great plan.

My favorite thing about the seasonals is that like 2/3 don't even last the whole season. Let's hire like 30 new people but not give current TMs the time or resources to train them so they get so fed up that they quit within 3 weeks, and now those hours have been effectively wasted. That sounds like a great plan.
Also, no need to purchase any additional Zebras. We have plenty of walkies though!

That's strange. People who don't have open availability shouldn't be getting more hours than you, assuming your availability is completely open.

I'd go on Kronos and try to pick up open shifts if I were you.

Edit: And I'm back reading and seeing there's no shifts up for the rest of the month. Keep an eye out and keep checking.
I don't have completely open availability, but neither do the others I've spoken to. And we don't use Kronos just a piece of paper next to our paper schedule 😂

Another great plan from the folks who brought us Modernization. NOT!🙄😂😳

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back