Archived What is compliance???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Net

I hear the word constantly, yet I have no idea what it is. I got hired on to work in hardlines at my store a few months ago, and I'm still confused about the compliance thing. From what I understand, timing for all punches needs to be within certain bounds to comply with state or company rules. But what bounds are those? Is there a place I can read up on it?

Another thing I've noticed is that early punches seem to be punished more than late punches in general, and I'm not sure why. Can anyone explain this, or point me in the right direction?

You hit compliance if you fail to take your 30 minute break either 5 hours in or 6 hours into your shift. It varies by state, here in Minnesota, it's 6 hours until you hit compliance. Basically, it's a pretty big deal, you don't wanna hit compliance. It opens the store up to being sued and other things because of labor laws and Target break policy. Your store should have a informations sheet on it next, by, or near your time clock stations.

A lot of stores like you to work your allotted shift, you can't punch in early without LOD approval, the LOD will literally have to punch their # in at the same time clock to punch you in early.

But what bounds are those? Is there a place I can read up on it?

Stores are required to post your local laws on the schedule board that has the missing punch report, schedules, etc.

It's a target policy you take your meal breaks at a specific time. Like @TTGOz says you are either in a 5 hour state or a 6 hour state. I would get with HR and just ask for them to clarify the rules for you. They won't think you're dumb, it's better to ask and get it right then miss compliance and get on your stores bad side.

Another thing I've noticed is that early punches seem to be punished more than late punches in general, and I'm not sure why. Can anyone explain this, or point me in the right direction?

You would need to explain this more. With compliance -- all violations are a red mark for the store. Although minor compliance when audited leads to a bigger fine if one is obtained.

I know my store being a few minutes late isn't a big deal with the 5 minute grace period but punching in early is. One hurts payroll the other doesn't.

The whole compliance issue is very straightforward with the postings but it’s the state laws that govern your state that make it confusing. Some states require before working 5 hours you must take an unpaid break, but as stated before (sorry don’t know how to tag TTGOz) in MN it’s before working 6hours. The whole verbiage ordeal is contradictory to itself. Technically by not taking a lunch on time, or your rest breaks, you are noncompliant, but by taking these breaks at the correct times, you are compliant, with the law. Sorry I’m babiling.

But a real life story about how the stores do not want noncompliant team members is, I was working 4AM’s in the holiday season and worked until 11AM without taking a lunch, that’s an hour past MN law, and our HRBP was in store, but being the smart devil I am went to the HRTM and told them to correct my punch so we wouldn’t get into trouble. Against the rules yes...but sometimes you just have to bend a little bit.

Compliance is when you get fussed at for not taking your lunch break in time when there was zero coverage to allow you to actually do so.

Compliance is when you get fussed at for not taking your lunch break in time when there was zero coverage to allow you to actually do so.

My issue with this excuse is that its not your problem if there isn't coverage. We have had to close our Starbucks before because they didn't schedule a mid at the right time.

That's their issue not yours. Not worth getting in trouble and enabling the person who didn't schedule coverage.

My issue with this excuse is that its not your problem if there isn't coverage. We have had to close our Starbucks before because they didn't schedule a mid at the right time.

That's their issue not yours. Not worth getting in trouble and enabling the person who didn't schedule coverage.

shh... Starbucks doesn't get closed before it's supposed to... ;)

I've never been allowed to shut down Starbucks because I didn't have coverage for break.

Nope. LOD can just stand in there if there is nobody else.

I have stood in Starbucks during a barista's break enough times, and turned away guests because I had zero clue, that the next time I was asked, I countered with "can I spend 30 minutes with her before she leaves so I can learn enough to not feel like an idiot?" Which was approved. I was about to go through full formal training when my main job increased my hours to full time and I no longer had enough availability for what was being planned for me (which was to work Sbux on Tuesdays when the load came in so that SBTL could focus on the load while I helped guests).

My store is apparently dead last in compliance, but it's not because we can't take breaks, I think it's more like the time gets away from you. I'll look at the time at about 4-4.5 hours in and think "I'll finish this pull cart and take lunch" and then I end up getting caught by a few guests and/or phone calls that are more complicated than they should be, or get pulled up to the lanes as backup or whatever and the next thing I know I have to clock out RIGHT NOW to hit compliance. There's never any argument about taking lunch or anything, but if you're not paying close attention to the time it's super easy to go over without really meaning to.

ETA: 6 hour state. We still "strive for 5" but can go until 6 hours.

I've never been allowed to shut down Starbucks because I didn't have coverage for break.

Breaks are more fluid but the Lod is supposed to close Starbucks or stand in for you if you are about to hit compliance.

I don't get it. When I had my summer job they let us work 12 hour shifts. I thought you could have an option to skip your break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back