What should I do ?

Hello everyone! I have a hard decision to make and i was wondering if you guys can help. So at the moment I’m a GM team member. And I’m good at what I do, really good. I even get told to be team lead by my co workers. And honestly I would love to be a team lead.
But today I got called in to the office, for an HR position. I want to take it so I can grow but only problem is … can I be team lead while being in a HR position? Can I still be considered as a team lead if theres an opening?
should I take the position knowing that I want a team lead position ? Help !

No but a HR position will help you in the long run if you hope to be an ETL.
So I won’t considered for a team lead position if I take the HR ?
can I talk to my etl’s about it, like tell them if there an opening for team lead let me know ?

I wouldnt focus so much on TL position. Its not that you might not be considered its more that it tends to be a carrot dangling position thst gets taken by outside hirea. Personally I suggest liie others to take the HR position. There is alqays possibility of TL but you have a better chance of skipping that to an etl poaitiin. If things sour at target as it tends to given retail habits then yiu have an awesome addition to your resume that will lead you to much much better future options.
Its your choice in the end and ai wouldnt let pressure herr or from others to foece this decision. Think on it sleep on it eat on it. Just know its a better options than TL in the long run.

Regardless of anything, HR experiences and skills will look better on your resume than "able to use a boxcutter safely" and "effectively read a planogram" should you ever decide to move on from Target. It is a much better stepping stone to many opportunities both within and outside of Target.

You’re asking other people for advice, considering their ideas, and thoughtfully coming to a decision?

Maybe you’re not cut out to be a team leader.

At my store, HR team member is a sweet deal, good hours, good schedules, not a lot of stress, and if you do well, upper management is aware of it since they deal with you daily. (ASANTS perhaps, but HR TLs keep the store running smoothly and live in a stress factory. Can’t imagine what would happen to my store without them. Their badge should have an octopus symbol, since they need at least eight hands to keep everything going at the same time, and that’s not even on schedule day. Hats off to them!😁 ) If you want to know how a store actually runs, consider taking the position, it’s not only good experience but will look good on a resume. Also, HR hears all and knows all, even if they aren’t supposed to repeat it😁.

You’re asking other people for advice, considering their ideas, and thoughtfully coming to a decision?

Maybe you’re not cut out to be a team

Maybe you’re not cut out to be a team leader.
Yeah um I don’t think I asked for all that. Who pissed in your cereal 😭?

Yeah um I don’t think I asked for all that. Who pissed in your cereal 😭?
Woah! Sorry about that!

I was being sarcastic. About team leaders. Like my team leader who doesn’t ask for advice, consider others ideas, or thoughtfully come to decisions.

Sorry.

Yes, definitely take - for all these reasons :
1. When you are OFFERED a position upper management WANTS you to take it. If you say ‘no’ then they may never offer you a TL position if one opens.
2. HR to TL is more feasible than TM to TL
3. You will learn a LOT more valuable skills as HR than ANY TM and TL position will give you For any position after Target.
4. Being part of the stores leadership is 75% fitting in, 25% skill. You will have the fitting in locked up as HR works closely with the ETL’s & SD.
5. As others have said : position is SWEET . Good hours, stress-free from guests, have contact with everyone, learns skills that you will always have to pad a
resume with, you will be noticed by district leaders which will INCREASE your chances of moving into what you want (if you even still WANT to move !).

Don’t take too long to tell them you will take it - don’t want regrets.

Back