Archived What to expect at Planorama

Status
Not open for further replies.

signingminion

WAVing in the air like I just don't care
So there's apparently a new store opening in our district or the one next to ours and we've been invited for planorama. Two days worth. What should we expect? Should we bring supplies we wouldn't mind losing?

You are going to work your ass off setting, last time I helped with a store that was crashing and burning we were split into groups, so one group set pogs, next group pushed pogs, next group worked in the back room going through the freight(shit everywhere and salvage everywhere). You won't have that issue..

I would bring your normal stuff you keep on you and use all the time. Knife, orange tool, gloves(I use when throwing shelves) that kind of stuff.. Everything else you can get brought in from sister stores.

I've always hated the way Planorama is set up. I am sure it must be faster to do it the way they do?, but I wish they would let each Plano team they send just set a complete area instead of having signing go thru and do backer paper first, then another group of people set pegs/shelves, another group place labels and shelf strips, someone else to audit. Too many cooks in kitchen! Why can't they have everyone from store t000 all set stationery, from start to finish minus freight, then have the designated audit person go through after? Seems more efficient to me.

But, back to topic, yes, bring your orange tool, a knife, name tag, and maybe a small notebook to write down fixture numbers you might want or need. Last store I helped open, I was helping put extra fixtures away and they had so much I was able to take some of the extras back to my store- we finally had replacement iron pods that we couldn't find on TIPP!

I've always hated the way Planorama is set up. I am sure it must be faster to do it the way they do?, but I wish they would let each Plano team they send just set a complete area instead of having signing go thru and do backer paper first, then another group of people set pegs/shelves, another group place labels and shelf strips, someone else to audit. Too many cooks in kitchen! Why can't they have everyone from store t000 all set stationery, from start to finish minus freight, then have the designated audit person go through after? Seems more efficient to me.

But, back to topic, yes, bring your orange tool, a knife, name tag, and maybe a small notebook to write down fixture numbers you might want or need. Last store I helped open, I was helping put extra fixtures away and they had so much I was able to take some of the extras back to my store- we finally had replacement iron pods that we couldn't find on TIPP!
We are carpooling down so I'm not sure how much I can fit in the trunk... but I'll definitely be watching for opportunities.

Thanks guys.

My best advice to you. Try to flow everything as if everyone were new, and had no rf/md.

As said above, aisle numbers will be very helpful, get them up asap.

- Make sure to remind people about reverse vs standard. Repeatedly. Like over and over, or you WILL be resetting pogs often.

- Do your best to teach the new people. There will be many of them and the more they learn, the easier it gets as it goes on.

- If you have a say, don't let them fuck up the fixture room, it will make the latter part of planorama miserable.

-pfresh blows to set, stay away. As a remodel tl I set pfresh by myself at least 5 times. Every time it was fucking awful.

- if you're just doing gruntwork, try to get a general stash of fixtures at the start of the shift. Canoe clips, fastbacks, 9inch pegs, label readers, etc. Cleaning supplies as well. Even when doing signing you always have to move or fix shit, and it's a nightmare to try to find it.

- if you want overtime, always offer to stay and help clean up.

Weird.. I've been to at least 13 planoramas and I've never been to one like that. I've hosted two. The store team decides what each store will do. Each store team has always set entire depts From start to finish. We bring our own tape measure a red tool. But they will supply a tape measure. Except to have fun I always did.

Yeah the way you describe planorama is how we did it. Fuck that.

Weird.. I've been to at least 13 planoramas and I've never been to one like that. I've hosted two. The store team decides what each store will do. Each store team has always set entire depts From start to finish. We bring our own tape measure a red tool. But they will supply a tape measure. Except to have fun I always did.

Maybe they were testing it out or something because it was in the Twin Cities market and close to corporate. I still had fun while there; it was hilarious to watch Spot newbies try to teach a brand new flow team how to run a truck, get tips on Plano shortcuts or just hear how other stores run their team to get the job done, swap horror stories.

I worked a couple of them before. All I did was hang backer paper. Other than TLs and ETLs I don't remember there being many people from the actual store, everyone seemed to be coming from other stores. For me it was some of the easiest overtime I've ever worked. Others may disagree. The entire store was set in about two days.

Now the part that sucked. One of the stores I came back the following weekend to help push. That I would stay away from if I was you. They had like 30 people unloading a single truck. The day I was there it was a truck of nothing but dry grocery. 3300 or so pieces and they unloaded it in about 40 minutes. Which was one of the craziest things I've witnessed in my non AP days at Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back