Archived What to expect Black Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there specific things we should know that might help us prior to Black Friday? Is this a big Red Card day? I would imagine large purchases would bring more opportunities?
Do we price match on Black Friday? Can employee's purchase items prior to the store opening? What time do we generally close on Black Friday? Any tips or tricks for that day from seasoned vets would be appreciated.

From corporate.target.com:
  • Price matches and adjustments to competitors will not be allowed for prices from Thanksgiving Day through the entire week after Thanksgiving. (11/22/2018 – 12/01/2018).
  • Pricing due to typographical errors, competitor doorbusters/lightning sales (including Amazon Prime Exclusive offers), coupon offers, promotional codes, credit card offers, gift card offers, financing, service offers, bundled offers, sales tax promotions, free items, rebates or mail-in offers.
  • Cartwheel offers, Target Gift Card offers, Registry completion coupons and Target coupons cannot be combined with price match. Manufacturer coupons will be applied after a price match is made, for store purchases only. Please review our Store Coupon Policy for additional details.
It definitely can be a big RC day. My GSTLs have historically pushed us even harder to get them because of people making larger purchases with doorbuster items.

No you cannot purchase items before the store opens or when you are on the clock. Same as every other day of the year.

My STL said we'll find out our store hours for that weekend when it comes time to write that week's shifts. So approximately 11/7.

Wear comfy shoes, stay hydrated, keep a sense of humor.

This.

Attachments

• 50BC23E0-FA84-4F65-87BB-71112C8563D3.jpeg
    50BC23E0-FA84-4F65-87BB-71112C8563D3.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 26EFD5AC-2E31-42FE-A8EB-078399118608.jpeg
    26EFD5AC-2E31-42FE-A8EB-078399118608.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 7FDA228E-5EF5-4128-BFB6-985514F566B5.jpeg
    7FDA228E-5EF5-4128-BFB6-985514F566B5.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 39
Yeah this really screwed over the guest last year with allowing 100% of certain items eligible for opu and nothing left by the time we open the doors at 6
We specifically let OPU roll for the first few hours on Black Friday for this reason. We did eventually pick the orders that had built up but we waited until after the doors had opened so people that were waiting in line all night had a chance.

Are there specific things we should know that might help us prior to Black Friday? Is this a big Red Card day? I would imagine large purchases would bring more opportunities?
Do we price match on Black Friday? Can employee's purchase items prior to the store opening? What time do we generally close on Black Friday? Any tips or tricks for that day from seasoned vets would be appreciated.

Red Cards are big on Black Friday. Pitch it to the right person spending alot.

People do buy TVs and other pricey electronics.

If your interested in a black Friday deal, try to see if it's an early bird deal that you get using your red card. Otherwise wait until you're on break or lunch. Usually hot items have rules you have to follow ei. 15 minutes on the floor, on break/lunch and discount rules apply. Don't be stupid and have a buddy purchase it for you using your card with your discount card. This will be heavily tracked and people have been fired for this.

One year Target was opened 24 hours and the next until 2am so depends on competitors and won't be announced until later.

People are usually easy going black Friday but let it roll off if someone is pissed you ran out of something on the ad or guest altercation. Take your breaks and just have fun.

We specifically let OPU roll for the first few hours on Black Friday for this reason. We did eventually pick the orders that had built up but we waited until after the doors had opened so people that were waiting in line all night had a chance.
Eh it was either lose the sale in person or INF and lose a sale so yeah my ETL LOG chose to run 13 flex carts to fulfill as many as possible before the store. The problem was Target allowed opu to run before the doors opened and really should have been turned off all day

Eh it was either lose the sale in person or INF and lose a sale so yeah my ETL LOG chose to run 13 flex carts to fulfill as many as possible before the store. The problem was Target allowed opu to run before the doors opened and really should have been turned off all day

Selling out sale items by taking OPU orders for those items while guests are outside waiting in line to buy them is a great way to lose guests. Forever.🙄

Selling out sale items by taking OPU orders for those items while guests are outside waiting in line to buy them is a great way to lose guests. Forever.🙄
I don't know why they don't just turn on OPU at 9:30AM. Most of the rush has died down at that point, but you can still get the DVD deals and the like. You just missed out on the battle to the death items.

I don't know why they don't just turn on OPU at 9:30AM. Most of the rush has died down at that point, but you can still get the DVD deals and the like. You just missed out on the battle to the death items.
9:30 wouldn't help because the website wouldn't update in time and still result in a ton of INFs

9:30 wouldn't help because the website wouldn't update in time and still result in a ton of INFs
You're going to have INFs regardless, but who's more likely to spend additional money with OPU on early, the person that's camped out for the sales that doesn't get them or the person that ordered them and didn't deal with the crowds and now is pissed off they have to wait in line to pick up their order. Leave it off and make people come in if they want the deal.

You're going to have INFs regardless, but who's more likely to spend additional money with OPU on early, the person that's camped out for the sales that doesn't get them or the person that ordered them and didn't deal with the crowds and now is pissed off they have to wait in line to pick up their order. Leave it off and make people come in if they want the deal.
We have the same opinion. Not sure who we're arguing with

We have the same opinion. Not sure who we're arguing with
I'm not arguing just pointing out it's a ASANTS issue. The STL or ETL over OPU is going to be making the call on whatever option they choose and have to speak to the repercussions as it moves up the chain.

Wear good shoes & socks; maybe take a pair to change into halfway through if you're working a long shift. Be patient - it's crowded with people and merchandise, guests move slowly, the walkie can be busy, the zebra network can seem poky. Dress in layers; depending on where you are in the store, you might be really cold or way too warm.
Do not try to hide merchandise, either in the back room or on the floor, and purchase it later. People get fired for that kind of stuff.
Take note of what your store is providing for meals. One year, my store brought in Mexican food for the meal during the shift I worked. I love tacos and all that, but when I'm tired and still have hours to go, spicy food is not what I want. Should have brought something from home.

Nope . Yes you can purchase before store opens if you order online and you are not the one picking the order. We are open 24h since 6pm on Thursday

Take note of what your store is providing for meals. One year, my store brought in Mexican food for the meal during the shift I worked. I love tacos and all that, but when I'm tired and still have hours to go, spicy food is not what I want. Should have brought something from home.
^This. Definitely bring lunch, snacks, soda, coffee, etc., in case your store doesn’t provide food, because you won’t have time to stand in line and buy food on your break, or possibly even lunch depending on when you go and how long the lines are.😁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back