Archived What will Black Friday be like for a cashier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to have a general idea of what I need to prepare for since this is my first retail job during Black Friday. I'm guessing ever lane will have someone on it and we will be working 12+ hours starting at 12 A.M. till close next day. I also assume there will be alot of angry people that day that will not hesitate to trash talk us lowly cashiers that day. Heard there is like food catering in the break room though? Unless ASANTS and that was just for some stores.

It's usually sort of fun and a bit of a crazy party atmosphere at least for the first couple of hours. There is always a mix of new and experienced cashiers and always someone willing to help if you get stuck or don't know how to do something. One of the GSTL's at my story describes it as Target's Super Bowl. Everyone needs to know that you can't get off that weekend and everyone has to work as a team to get through it. Many guest even on the weeks leading up to Black Friday express sympathy for having to work. It is what it is and its your job if you work retail. Positive attitude goes a lloooonnnggg way getting you through the weekend and the whole Xmas season.

How it should work at a store that has its shit together:

- The store opens at 6pm and it will be pretty much nonstop busy for at least an hour or two.
- There will be a very controlled line for the checkouts and there will be a TM dedicated to directing guests from the front of the line to the next open checkout.
- There will be food of some kind in the break room.
- The store closes at midnight and I'd expect cashiers to be off by 12:30 or 1 at the latest.

nuclear-bomb-explosion-blast-city-shutterstock528910063.jpg

It won't be bad.

-Times goes by quick
-You'll have scheduled breaks
-There will be a ton of people waiting in line to check out but it'll all be controlled. Gates will be up and caution tape. Guests will form a line usually weaving through the closest aisles. At the front of the line will usually be a gstl that tells the next guest what lane to go to. You won't have 30 people in your lane yelling at you to hurry up.
-majority of guests are loving what their buying and the deals their getting. No reason to think anyone will talk down to you or be yelling at you
-wear comfortable shoes
-my target usually has catered sub trays, chips, and drinks. But your store might have different

Please refer to Target Black Friday Speech. And you'll be fine.

How you wish it would be:
How it should work at a store that has its shit together:
- The store opens at 6pm and it will be pretty much nonstop busy for at least an hour or two.
- There will be a very controlled line for the checkouts and there will be a TM dedicated to directing guests from the front of the line to the next open checkout.
- There will be food of some kind in the break room.
- The store closes at midnight and I'd expect cashiers to be off by 12:30 or 1 at the latest.

How it will most likely be:

In terms to cashier shifts, BF is one of the "nice" ones in that you're always busy and time flies. I preferred it to days that had big gaps in guests or too much chaos going on.

My second BF, I cashiered back in electronics and it was THE MOST FUN. Note that I didn't open; I think that would have been scary; but I worked 8am-4:30p and it was busy but enjoyable.

Guests are usually super appreciative of cashiers on BF, atleast in my experience. They generally understand your pain and have already done all their bitching at the sales floor for being out of whatever the hell they wanted.

Just want to have a general idea of what I need to prepare for since this is my first retail job during Black Friday. I'm guessing ever lane will have someone on it and we will be working 12+ hours starting at 12 A.M. till close next day. I also assume there will be alot of angry people that day that will not hesitate to trash talk us lowly cashiers that day. Heard there is like food catering in the break room though? Unless ASANTS and that was just for some stores.
Actually this is the best example of what it will be like for you.
You are Robin williams in the scene.
what-dreams-may-come-09.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back