Who else has alot of items locked up in your store?

NKG

Nkg
Curious out there-In the stores that have everything locked up (vacuums, cosmetics, fragrances, movies...) how do you continue to strive good guest service?

I guess I am wanting to know are you just unlocking the item and letting the guest go on their way? Our store is slowly becoming if its not nailed down the wall its locked up. We are starting to see upset guests because they can't be trusted with the item. Idk maybe its me....

We have fragrances locked up, and curling irons on locking peg hooks. Otherwise, all the rest is electronics stuff. Generally, we give them to the guest.

I just find it stupid when the whole wall of electronics (F1 for me) phone cases, chargers, etc are ALL locked up with the white lock.

We have fragrances locked up, and curling irons on locking peg hooks. Otherwise, all the rest is electronics stuff. Generally, we give them to the guest.

They why are they locked up if we just give it to the guest

We had a group of people regularly taking fragrances. Really wasn't a problem otherwise, so we go ahead and let the guest take them to the registers. Anything in electronics gets rung up there.

We have fragrance boosters as well, we bring the product to guest service, otherwise what's the point?

I guess I am wanting to know are you just unlocking the item and letting the guest go on their way? Our store is slowly becoming if its not nailed down the wall its locked up. We are starting to see upset guests because they can't be trusted with the item. Idk maybe its me....

Me, we added a few call boxes, but we put a lot of stuff in a place with easy access to the GSTL after we get it out of the case. Some stuff we do hand to the guest and pretty much anything with a spiderwarp on it from a locked peg. It got serious with merch protection when during one of our marathon morning huddles god they never shut the fuck up, we had an entire endcap of Sonicare toothbrushes stolen. Guests can get peeved all they want, we just explain that "It sucks but people steal and we have to protect ourselves." They usually chill out.

That end cap was set by pog and flow filled it and it was ignored by their merch protection person..

Last edited:
Guests literally just rip it off the pegs they're not waiting for that bullshit
It's annoying as heck. I can understand a few items with the white locking thing - pop sockets, apple branded accessories, life proofs. But smh, i told our old - old - old TPS it was stupid too long up the otter box cases for example, never cared.

It's annoying as heck. I can understand a few items with the white locking thing - pop sockets, apple branded accessories, life proofs. But smh, i told our old - old - old TPS it was stupid too long up the otter box cases for example, never cared.
Anything we spider wrap I can understand putting locking peg but if it's not spider wrapped you can just rip it off the pegs very easily. Who does this stop? All it does is sink time to do anything, anyone willing to steal would be willing to rip it off the peg, unless they plan to do some sort of return scam. At which point if they're willing to go as far as running that scam they could easily just have the tools on hand to unlock it themselves, hell you don't even need tools to remove the white pegs but I won't get into that.

It's a deterrent to opportunistic theft and it works. The effort that goes into merchandise protection is well worth it. It can't be worse than zoning or doing reshop.

Nah. We walk everything to the front with the guest, or put it on hold at Guest Services for when they're ready to pay. They just tell the cashier at the check lanes that they have something on hold, and it's brought to them. It's only a small hassle, and most guests are OK with it, since they understand why it's being done this way.

Anything we spider wrap I can understand putting locking peg but if it's not spider wrapped you can just rip it off the pegs very easily. Who does this stop?

Sometimes it's not about stopping anyone, per se. It's a deterrent, to make people think twice about doing it. But some percentage of people are always going to go ahead and rip the item off the peg anyway, you betcha.

Ripping something off of a peg is quite noticeable on camera, and can be noisy on the sales floor. The idea is that even if someone goes to the effort to tear the packaging or rip the item off the peg, someone will hopefully notice that something is going on in that aisle.

It's not 100%, but honestly, all we can do is protect and prevent as much as we can. *shrug*

Guests literally just rip it off the pegs they're not waiting for that bullshit
I admit to doing that once for an SPU.

I was pissed that the LOD had told the electronics TM to come take my keys instead of trying to figure out where the other 2 sets were. And then nobody was actually in electronics to unlock it for me.

Before I started working retail, I was one of those "Rip it off the locked peg" guests. I'd always pay for my stuff, but I'm surprised I never saw the TPS's watching me on the floor lol.

Locking pegs are another layer of deterrent against shoplifters, especially boosters. At my old store, vacuums were lifted like hot cakes. So we spiderwrapped every one of those *****. Want an iPad? You can get it at checkout. Otherwise you'll be hearing from one steaming ETL-AP.

On the whole guest service thing, it takes $20 of revenue to makeup for a dollar of shrink. So guest service isn't always that important.

We have alot of stuff locked up - some makes sense but others not so much.

Like, why are Crest 3D White Strips and Nexium under lock and key?

We have alot of stuff locked up - some makes sense but others not so much.

Like, why are Crest 3D White Strips and Nexium under lock and key?

Easy to steal, can do a no-receipt return (possibly) and get $40 on gift card which you take to a gift card cash out place and voila, drug money.

I'm not walking a fucking vacuum or perfume or pet flea care up to the register so I just give it to them
If we hand out a dyson, we just let AP know so they can keep an eye. Everything else we give to the guest, minus electronics which is sold right then and there.

Back