Archived Why aren't gsa or gstl allowed to go for back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,the title says it all.
We are in a very low volume store,and we can hear often the gsa or the gstl calling for backup, mind you sometimes I am in the backroom or way back in the store,and go for back up to find one guest waiting and the gsa or gstl chatting away at food avenue!
I am not the only one complaining about it,and the cashiers are eagerly pressing the button !

Is it the norm ? And why? When they could easily take care of it faster !

Could be that by the time you make your way to the front, the back up has resolved itself. We are allowed 1+1 in the lanes; when it goes over that, we are required to call for back up. GSA/GSTLs are not allowed to cashier in case there's a guest who may need assistance. We sell alcohol and we have minor cashiers so if we all went on a lane, we'd have problems. Of course, when we have three or four GSA/GSTLs on stage, we are allowed to back up as long as one is left to help guests. With just one GSA/GSTL, we can get in trouble pretty quickly with lights flashing, ya know?

^ this.

Our function is do manage the front lanes and ensure smooth flowing of guest traffic. If I'm on a lane, I'm dealing with my own line. If a cashier 5 lanes down has a price issue, needs an override, or change, I can't help them because I'd have to have the people in my lane wait for me to get off, help them, and get back.

What you guys say is true but at the same time when you have 1 or 2 cashiers you can always hop on right beside them until backup arrives or take someone with 2-3 items. I do not even respond to back-up requests any longer and I don't harp on my team to do it either. When I get up there and see you standing there doing nothing or over there chatting with someone then I assume back-up no longer needed. Another thing, if there are 2 GSTL's and a GSA there and none of them are on the lane then they better not call for back-up. Maybe it's just my store but our front end leadership team has always been crap.

Calimero to answer your question though, they should be directing guests to lanes, talking to the guests, loading bags into carts, taking hangers off of clothing, etc. to ensure the lanes are moving.

And when I know backup is on it's way, I'll direct a guest to an empty lane, turn the lane light on, and have the guest start unloading their cart in anticipation of the backup cashier.

Feel free to chat it up with your ETLs about GSTLs/GSAs not cashiering. It's a core role that we are supposed to join in with the backup if we need more help, and to call the LOD to watch the lanes. Unfortunately that won't always happen.

A lot has to do with your store's volume. At the C volume store I just transferred out of, I was told directly by the DTL that the GSA was expected to jump on for backup first, let the LOD know, and then call for additional cashiers if more were needed. At my new store, a much higher volume, it's the exact opposite! It's been hard to break myself of the habit of jumping on a lane as GSA. I quickly found out why this is a problem when I of course had two or three price checks, a change order, and a ticked off guest while I tried to free myself from the stupid checklane! I learned my lesson pretty quickly that day.

There is never a time that we have fewer than three cashiers. I guess it depends on the volume of the store. If there aren't at least two GSA/GSTLs, I'd be termed if I got on a lane. Our LOD will watch the lanes in EXTREME cases so that all GSA/GSTL can go on the lane. Otherwise, we are directing traffic, speed weaving, etc.

The GSTL's and GSA's at my store stand at RTW like rere's and call for back-up. The only thing they actually do is squawk about a redcard or ask for help with the easiest things. When you 'challenge' them then they get pissy and pout. One GSTL hasn't spoken to me in 3 weeks because of it.

As someone who has been both a GSA and sales floor, I think every GSA and GSTL should be required to work some sales floor shifts. I used to get ticked off when no one would respond for backup; then I started working softlines. After about the 100th call for backup one day, looking at my three carts and 2 full z racks of reshop and hearing the backroom telling us we had several CAFS ready to go out, I finally understood!

So what would you suggest that the GSTL/GSA do? Go on a lane and leave the lights flashing? I thought our goal was great guest experience. It won't be a great guest experience if the guest is standing in a line back to the carpet. I know you have stuff to do which is why I get you off the lane ASAP. I promise that in my store we'd much rather not call for back up, but stuff happens. I thought this was a team thing.

Remember, at closing, it's the cashiers and the GSA/GSTL's who are helping you finish the re-shop. As a GSTL, I'm usually walking out with the LOD at midnight cuz I'm finishing my paperwork and helping you guys. I'm not complaining. I'm trying to get the team out the door.

Thank you for all the responses !
Usually ,the gstl is somewhere at tsc chewing on something ,the 3 gsa are holding their clipboard at food avenue and chatting away with fa tm !
They never direct guests nor help with the hangers ,bags etc ....
Lately I have been asked to take care of ptm.I pulled them out of the br myself ,and go on my merry way .between asking CIHYFS to guests and going for back up it is difficult to finish my task. It just irks me to see gsa standing there while I know I have a full flat to organize and only 20 mn to finish !

Once again, it shows the different cultures in different stores. As a GSA/GSTL, I'm constantly on the move - picking up hangers to deliver to fitting room or recycle, picking up abandoned items for re-shop, appeasing dissatisfied guests, overriding transactions, responding to change requests, cleaning the front lanes, delivering supplies to the lanes, paperwork (endless paperwork), re-stocking hand baskets and occasionally retrieving carts from the lot, checking restrooms, coaching, development with team members, restocking essentials and endcaps, relieving FA and operator for breaks. We are truly busy the full 8 hour shift, ending with re-shop for whomever needs it. We're in charge of H&B, Dollar Spot. Green Cartwell, Lane Essentials, and front End Caps, signing and restocking as well as front end "brand." Oh, did I mention Cash Office? Yep, I know you're busy, but at my store, we're never standing around. Well, except for that one GSTL who wears heels and complains that her feet hurt. lol

So what would you suggest that the GSTL/GSA do? Go on a lane and leave the lights flashing? I thought our goal was great guest experience. It won't be a great guest experience if the guest is standing in a line back to the carpet. I know you have stuff to do which is why I get you off the lane ASAP. I promise that in my store we'd much rather not call for back up, but stuff happens. I thought this was a team thing.

Remember, at closing, it's the cashiers and the GSA/GSTL's who are helping you finish the re-shop. As a GSTL, I'm usually walking out with the LOD at midnight cuz I'm finishing my paperwork and helping you guys. I'm not complaining. I'm trying to get the team out the door.

Remember you say? Not 1 damn cashier or GSTL/GSA stays to help, the 1 GSTL that does stay sits in TSC 'doing paperwork'. They don't do reshop, they don't zone, they run out of the store as fast as they can. Also stop waiting until close to get all of the reshop up from the lanes. A team thing? Sure, let's be a team and you come set 1/3 of my 30 endcaps, ptm toys or zone one of my runs. I don't give a damn about a great guest experience, I'm not going to get chewed out about a guest but let me workload not be complete.

My store had a chat session a few weeks ago. You know, just one of those things where you can complain and not get in trouble for it. I let my HR manager (the one holding the chat sessions) know that if I'm in the backroom or across the store in rear seasonal, I'm NOT going to make a mad dash for the register. Especially when I KNOW there are 3 other closer team members.
Her response? "That's fair." lol
Also, I think the 1+1 rule should be changed to be a bit more specific. Lets say that the person you're currently checking out has a full basket. Then, the next person in your line only has 2 small items. No need to call for back up as it'll only take you 20 seconds to ring up the next guest.
Also, don't be afraid to send that next person to another register. Especially if they only have 2 small items and haven't loaded a bagillion things on the belt. Oh, if you're gonna do that, make sure the other cashier is almost done with whoever he/she is currently with...

At my store the GSTLs are the last to hop on. Our ETLs and even our STL will take a lane before we do. For those of you that think we do nothing our core roles esssentially boil down to "deal with peoples crap all day." I am essentially paid to stand there and take it all day. Just remember that the front end is the one helping everyone at the end of the night. We may not be of much assistance during the day but believe me we want to help and will work pulls or returns whenever possible!

I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for sales floor moaning about backing up.... Usually leaders always con me into lending cashiers to help you guys get **** done anyways, and then when it comes to OUR closing tasks, we're in a rush to get them done at the end of the night. Oh then sales floor + team leads all leave for the night while the front end is mopping up the mess from the night still. And of course, the GSA/GSTL, last person to leave the building besides the LOD. Heck my old GSTL who is now a sales floor TL even told me he likes actually being able to leave at a reasonable time instead of being the last person to leave.

So yeah... Not much symphathy from this GSA. Sorry.

i don't have a whole lot of sympathy for sales floor moaning about backing up.... Usually leaders always con me into lending cashiers to help you guys get **** done anyways, and then when it comes to our closing tasks, we're in a rush to get them done at the end of the night. Oh then sales floor + team leads all leave for the night while the front end is mopping up the mess from the night still. And of course, the gsa/gstl, last person to leave the building besides the lod. Heck my old gstl who is now a sales floor tl even told me he likes actually being able to leave at a reasonable time instead of being the last person to leave.

So yeah... Not much symphathy from this gsa. Sorry.

exaaaacctttllyyyyy

Wow. Our GSA and GSTL's would be canned for not jumping a register during back up. Keep in mind....I am ULV, so most of the time, rules don't apply.

Remember you say? Not 1 damn cashier or GSTL/GSA stays to help, the 1 GSTL that does stay sits in TSC 'doing paperwork'. They don't do reshop, they don't zone, they run out of the store as fast as they can. Also stop waiting until close to get all of the reshop up from the lanes. A team thing? Sure, let's be a team and you come set 1/3 of my 30 endcaps, ptm toys or zone one of my runs. I don't give a damn about a great guest experience, I'm not going to get chewed out about a guest but let me workload not be complete.

Nobody leaves the store until the LOD says leave. That means cashiers, cart attendants, ETLs, GSA/GSTLs. We're back there zoning and reshopping with ya. I'm sorry your store isn't run as a team as ours is. You may not give a damn about a great guest experience, but I'm guessing Spot does. Anyway you don't have to get all snotty about it, do ya?

Wow. Our GSA and GSTL's would be canned for not jumping a register during back up. Keep in mind....I am ULV, so most of the time, rules don't apply.

That is why I am asking ,because we are also ULV ,and gsa ,gstl or cashiers do not help after closing ,they all leave together before the sales floor team ! Guest service leave by 9pm!
When a gsa or gstl go for a break,they give their keys and walkie to a cashier who stays on the register !

We had a great gsa,( she transfered to an another store) ,and she would go for back up as much as possible,would empty the carts for guests,help with the hangers and empty our bins,bring us bags etc.
She has been gone for over a year now.

Our GSTL will go on register if the LOD is coming up to take over the front.
That usually means everybody who can be backup is doing it.
Basically they just don't schedule enough people for register.

Nobody leaves the store until the LOD says leave. That means cashiers, cart attendants, ETLs, GSA/GSTLs. We're back there zoning and reshopping with ya. I'm sorry your store isn't run as a team as ours is. You may not give a damn about a great guest experience, but I'm guessing Spot does. Anyway you don't have to get all snotty about it, do ya?

You find me extra payroll to send the rest of the "team" to help out the SF, and I'll be more than happy to do so.

9 times out of 10 everyone stays after close to help out wherever needed but if it's been a super slow night they'll send the cashiers home but the gsas and gstls have to stay until the LOD leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back