Why so much incoming freight?

So our store has been getting so much freight lately that we can't push because of reduced hours.

I think one of two things are happening.

1) Target is basing shipments on freight that flew off the shelves at the beginning of the pandemic.

2) The DC is trying to dump freight to the stores so they don't have to inventory. NOTE: Our store didn't do inventory in 2020.

Thoughts?

Depends what’s the freight ? Is it essentials or Hardlines ? this is the time when your Etl and Tl should start creating transfers and send that shit back especially if you have high amounts in small appliances , toys, dom, home dec.if it’s essential like paper , chem is because of pandemic if it’s Hba you have a transition starting Monday .

I feel ya. Slamming us with kitchen and home stuff. And then the Od is like “you can’t do sweeps cause it costs us money”

It's been awful. I wish we would cancel trucks. At least for my area, they're full of things we already have bunches of in the back. Oh, you have 35 on the floor that aren't selling and 20 more in the back? Better send you another case! Fuck that. I sincerely wish spontaneous combustion on whoever's responsible.

I keep getting sent items that the counts are off but I can't update them because I just received them. Next day, rinse and repeat. Fucking awesome. Today I discovered I have an ASTV item that fits 1 on the shelf, 1 on the floor. Want to know how many I have in the back?

W.
T.
F.

3 full cases of bubbles today. One fit out. Absurd. Sure seems like they are sending lots of the items we were out of early on in panic buying last year. Got lots of chalk too.

I keep getting sent items that the counts are off but I can't update them because I just received them. Next day, rinse and repeat. Fucking awesome. Today I discovered I have an ASTV item that fits 1 on the shelf, 1 on the floor. Want to know how many I have in the back?

W.
T.
F.

3 full cases of bubbles today. One fit out. Absurd. Sure seems like they are sending lots of the items we were out of early on in panic buying last year. Got lots of chalk too.
Do you have ship from store? We get tons of freight that won’t fit but since we have ship it mostly goes on the ship truck. Air fryers are hot this week. Get 15 in. 2 fit on the shelf. By end of day all have been sold or picked for ship and gone. But still makes for a ton of freight on the truck to load, empty, push to the floor, and then backstock.

There has been a shipping container shortage for quite sometime. All of the imports have been coming in waves. That's why we've all been seeing such ebbs and flows in imports. I haven't followed it lately, but apparently they are working on getting empty containers back on ships.

Unlike a lot of supply chains, there wasn't a plan in place for dunnage due in part to the cost to return an empty container vs. just using a new one.

The transportation cost has been and will be continuing to increase to cover the additional expenses.

Welcome to 2021.

Do you have ship from store? We get tons of freight that won’t fit but since we have ship it mostly goes on the ship truck. Air fryers are hot this week. Get 15 in. 2 fit on the shelf. By end of day all have been sold or picked for ship and gone. But still makes for a ton of freight on the truck to load, empty, push to the floor, and then backstock.
This. We have several items that we can OPU and SFS a pallet of in a day. Drives the inbound team bonkers.

Speaking of incoming freight, how about all that stuff rolling in early and acting like preties weren’t a thing?

I see this all the time since covid started and more guests are shopping online. Even though Christmas is long past and we're not doing nearly as many online orders, it's still significantly more than pre-covid. It'll be interesting to see if it continues post-covid. Seems like some folks would have realized maybe shopping online works better for them just generally.

Same here! I work in style and it’s excessive. I received 55 pair of the same pair of shorts in the same size the other day.

Back