Archived Wic guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been told never to override WIC, but rather to just type in a store coupon for the amount of the item that's not going through. Overriding it apparently is a really bad thing.
Oh, that's a good idea, I never thought about that. I'll check with my GSTL and see if she'd rather me do that.

I have been told never to override WIC, but rather to just type in a store coupon for the amount of the item that's not going through. Overriding it apparently is a really bad thing.

Overriding, if done right, is fine. My store's GSTLs have a copy of the state WIC guide that shows what is and is not WIC eligible and will override if needed. The problem is the store and company gets in trouble if they override WIC and it's not actually WIC. We override if it's warranted and are VERY careful because it lets POS know and therefore corporate that something is having a problem. And then we mysupport it. The store coupon idea is good, I should suggest implementing a "use store coupon but grab the same item and try to WIC override it after the guest is gone to reduce the wait" routine.

We override the item too. All of our cashiers can do WIC and purchase orders. GSA/GSTL overrides if something does not scan. They may be doing it wrong I wouldn't be surprised. One of our GSTLs just makes up rules as she goes along.

I kinda wish we didnt take wic these days. We had an undercover inspection a while back and someone messed up.

Now we have to have someone supervise all wic transactions, which can really be annoying if it's a busy day.

I don't mind WIC at all, but there's always at least one cashier who can't seem to not fuck up. At closing the other night, I had a bunch of WIC checks with no amount written in (no biggie, just look at the amount printed by the check reader...but still) and two checks with no SIGNATURE. so yeah. we just have to eat those.

I am so thankful we don't take WIC.

I kinda wish we didnt take wic these days. We had an undercover inspection a while back and someone messed up.

Now we have to have someone supervise all wic transactions, which can really be annoying if it's a busy day.

Agreed. I'm glad my store doesn't, because I feel that just like CashMonkey's store, someone at my store would fuck up, and then we'd need the supervision of all wic transactions, and I hate going for back-up enough as it is, I don't need to be up there any longer because I need to get someone for wic.

I don't mind WIC at all, but there's always at least one cashier who can't seem to not fuck up. At closing the other night, I had a bunch of WIC checks with no amount written in (no biggie, just look at the amount printed by the check reader...but still) and two checks with no SIGNATURE. so yeah. we just have to eat those.
Yes, this.

Or the cashier writes "Target" where my store stamp is supposed to go! :mad:

lol that's hilarious! I haven't seen that one yet
Unfortunately it is a reoccurring situation at my store. Everytime I (or my CO compatriot) sees this happen, we copy it and inform the front end. But it still happens.

....aaaaand that's why I think supervision can be a good thing. It's hard to train monkeys. (this monkey excluded)
We were told specifically we could not call a manager to supervise unless we had a problem...it's singling them out as being different. One of our cashiers immediately shit herself. Almost literally.

We were told specifically we could not call a manager to supervise unless we had a problem...it's singling them out as being different. One of our cashiers immediately shit herself. Almost literally.

I agree totally, not the shitting part which is pretty sad, but the making a big deal out of it.
I remember when I was a kid on the free lunch program and at the beginning they made the few of us who were on it stand of to one side to get our lunches.
When I told my mom, she came unglued and went to the school.
I don't know what she said but after that we got a book of tickets like all the other kids.

Meh, we just shrug it off as "policy". Some cashiers are still doing it wrong, and we could lose the ability to accept WIC

I've found that it's harder on the WIC guest when we make them stand there with others behind them while we're trying to read that stupid pamphlet and make stuff that should be WICable WICable. So as soon as I see a WIC guest, I interrupt, ask them to go to a register away from the busy registers and give them the best freakin' guest service possible. I figure if they have WIC checks, their life is a struggle so they deserve special treatment. I can do that little thing for them. I hate that the other guests are condescending towards them so I always req out some little something for the kids.

So fire me. ;)

I've found that it's harder on the WIC guest when we make them stand there with others behind them while we're trying to read that stupid pamphlet and make stuff that should be WICable WICable. So as soon as I see a WIC guest, I interrupt, ask them to go to a register away from the busy registers and give them the best freakin' guest service possible. I figure if they have WIC checks, their life is a struggle so they deserve special treatment. I can do that little thing for them. I hate that the other guests are condescending towards them so I always req out some little something for the kids.

So fire me. ;)

And that is a caring, generous attitude.
Not only does it make the experience less painful for the person, it's keeps the people behind them from being snotty.
Granted there's the, hey we're different, but if you make up for that with good customer service that's golden.

What people don't seem to understand is the person on WIC isn't going to be like that forever and they will continue to be a loyal customer if they are treated with decency.
So all customers should be treated the same no matter where their funds come from.

Last edited:
I've stood behind wic guests on purpose at many retailers and fended off assholes for them.

"Gonna be awhile, might want to pick another line if you don't want to wait ten minutes"
"Don't want to wait? You want to buy her groceries instead?"
Lol.

Overriding, if done right, is fine. My store's GSTLs have a copy of the state WIC guide that shows what is and is not WIC eligible and will override if needed. The problem is the store and company gets in trouble if they override WIC and it's not actually WIC. We override if it's warranted and are VERY careful because it lets POS know and therefore corporate that something is having a problem. And then we mysupport it. The store coupon idea is good, I should suggest implementing a "use store coupon but grab the same item and try to WIC override it after the guest is gone to reduce the wait" routine.
i've called multiple times trying to get an updated version. mysupported. our version is at least 3 years old, probably longer. and i'm one of the only who knows this list exists.

So fire me. ;)
I gotta say you are fricking awesome for doing this. *applause*

WIC is a wonderful program. I used it at one point in my life. I didn't like the discomfort of people waiting behind me and would have appreciated RedMan's wonderful guest service. On a side note though, I made sure I knew how the program worked and what was allowable and I separated all my checks at the register with matching items to make the process easier for the cashier. I also did NOT ever go to express even if I was only using two checks and was under the allowable 10 items... when you know it can take time it's just not right to get in the lane that was meant for fast service.

Hopefully more states will move to the card and chip based WIC system soon.

So fire me. ;)
Fire you? I think I want to marry you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back