Archived Wic guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's crazy. We have to have aa of our cashiers trained for week. At my store everyone seems to get it down pretty quick. Even the guest help by dividing transactions with correct items for each check. We get the occasional unwiccable item now and then but we are allowed to substitute it with GSA override. If it's a lot of checks we let the cashiers turn off their lights so other guest know it's might take a while.

In a different note, I'm kind of glad GSTL/GSA and ETLs at my store are well known. Even if the ETLs can be a little intidating when you first start, they are usually available to help out and make their comments now and then.

Substitute with GSA override??? In other words the store potentially eats the entire sale and risks its ability to take WIC?

I think my head just exploded.

Substitute with GSA override??? In other words the store potentially eats the entire sale and risks its ability to take WIC?

I think my head just exploded.
I can see why it may be done on occasion. I've only ever had to call for it once, and it was due to an item that really should have been WICable.

Use common sense and consult the WIC guide first though. :p

We have a WIC card, scans pretty much as the same as the EBT and we've been using it for months now all cashiers are trained. So grateful we didn't have to do the checks system you all described sounds terribly frustrating.

Only wish now is it was a bit clearer which items are accepted, too many times only certain flavors of baby food are taken and it's near impossible to tell them all apart.

We have formula in the pharmacy that has to be special ordered that is NOT on the WIC list (I printed it out to show our etl-Rx), but all of the other LODs INSIST we allow the guests to use their checks on it. It's over $30/can and they want us to ring it out in the pharmacy. I refuse to get trained on how to do it because I don't want that coming back to ME.

We have formula in the pharmacy that has to be special ordered that is NOT on the WIC list (I printed it out to show our etl-Rx), but all of the other LODs INSIST we allow the guests to use their checks on it. It's over $30/can and they want us to ring it out in the pharmacy. I refuse to get trained on how to do it because I don't want that coming back to ME.
If it's a pharmacy only item, behind the counter, you'd think the onus would be on health insurance to cover the cost. It's sad when things like this get caught in the middle and then leaders decide to take it upon themselves to "solve" the problem instead of having the guest call the WIC people or whoever prescribed the formula for the kid.

If it's a pharmacy only item, behind the counter, you'd think the onus would be on health insurance to cover the cost. It's sad when things like this get caught in the middle and then leaders decide to take it upon themselves to "solve" the problem instead of having the guest call the WIC people or whoever prescribed the formula for the kid.
It's not Rx-only, but something the store doesn't carry. Some stores (I think Walgreens might) carry it on the floor, but we don't. Very few insurances cover OTC items, especially something like baby formula, even though it's a "specialized" one.

Wisconsin has jumped on the 'shame the poor' bandwagon and has passed a bill that disallows the purchase of certain food items including shellfish, non-white potatoes, nuts, cranberry sauce, popsicles, spaghetti sauce, soup, ketchup, pickles, baked beans, flavored peanut butter, flavored milk, and brown eggs.

A Democrat member of State house showed four types of Wisconsin cheese of which only one was allowed by the law, a block of mild cheddar. One block was too big and the other two were sharps. Somehow getting a sharp cheese for the same price is a scam against the GOP.

Luckily this little piece of evil scumbaggery won't actually go into effect because it would require getting a waiver from the feds and that has never happened.

I'm sorry, but let them buy whatever the heck they want. Pickles and white potatoes??? I'd much rather see them buying healthy food than crap. Now, if they put limits on what they can do with the "cash cards," I might be able to get behind that...

Although the flavored peanut butter and milk probably isn't all that healthy. But sharp cheddar cheese and soup? Even Popsicles can be healthy depending on which ones you buy...

I don't mind WIC guests and I normally can handle the transactions quickly so no one gets mad...until someone comes up with bread on their WIC check. For some reason, NO ONE gets the right bread. We actually got in trouble a while back for not keeping enough WICable bread in stock but now that we have four kinds to choose from, people still get the wrong kind. EVERY. TIME.

I don't mind WIC guests and I normally can handle the transactions quickly so no one gets mad...until someone comes up with bread on their WIC check. For some reason, NO ONE gets the right bread. We actually got in trouble a while back for not keeping enough WICable bread in stock but now that we have four kinds to choose from, people still get the wrong kind. EVERY. TIME.
Nobody wants the short stumpy loaf...

Isn't there labels tho? Or are people just being blissfully ignorant again lol.

I'm sorry, but let them buy whatever the heck they want. Pickles and white potatoes??? I'd much rather see them buying healthy food than crap. Now, if they put limits on what they can do with the "cash cards," I might be able to get behind that...

Although the flavored peanut butter and milk probably isn't all that healthy. But sharp cheddar cheese and soup? Even Popsicles can be healthy depending on which ones you buy...

People are still allowed to buy cigs with their cash at gas stations. Heck the typical purchase on ebt there was a big ass fountain soda, cigs and maybe even some energy drinks and chips. All on ebt, food/cash.

Not too long ago you weren't allowed to buy Monster on food stamps but now you can because they get funding from Monster or some shit now.

People are still allowed to buy cigs with their cash at gas stations. Heck the typical purchase on ebt there was a big ass fountain soda, cigs and maybe even some energy drinks and chips. All on ebt, food/cash.

Not too long ago you weren't allowed to buy Monster on food stamps but now you can because they get funding from Monster or some shit now.

That's the cash part which is completely different from SNAP or WIC, at least for the cigs.
I know some of the food stamp programs used to have rules about being able to buy sodas in a can but not in a cup, though I don't know if that's still true.
I know a lot of the the states are trying to stop people from buying energy drinks.
Since many of the people who are on food stamps are working two or three jobs it seems like letting them buy food stamps would only be fair.

when I say ebt I mean cash and food. It's both on one card. I only have food stamps tho. I used to get cash too.

In my state you can buy anything g on the food stamps part except for hot ready to eat food, alcohol, tobacco, and gas and lottery.

Fountain drinks and energy drinks are allowed on food ebt

Yeah, because it's our fault that the process takes longer than a traditional sale, not the government's fault. At my store, it takes longer because we have to wait for the GSTL/GSA to do the transaction - only GSAs and higher are WIC-trained at my store.
only your GSA's can do WIC transactions...? that's weird, at my store anyone can do those, i did one just yesterday. the only time the GSA had to come over and help was because one item apparently wasn't "WIC-able" according to the register but the guest pulled out some booklet saying it was so the GSA had to type in her supervisor number.

At my store WIC can be a real PITA. I was going through the checks and a cashier wrote "Target" where I was supposed to put our WIC stamp for our store, it was on not one, but THREE of the WIC checks. I think you could see steam coming out of my ears. We just lost a butt load of money because a cashier didn't know what they were doing.
why did the cashier write on the WIC check at all? doesn't the guest just have to sign it?

only your GSA's can do WIC transactions...? that's weird, at my store anyone can do those, i did one just yesterday. the only time the GSA had to come over and help was because one item apparently wasn't "WIC-able" according to the register but the guest pulled out some booklet saying it was so the GSA had to type in her supervisor number.

Yeah, only the GSAs and higher were trained because they don't want to have noob cashiers doing it completely wrong (like the cashier at COninja's store).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back