Archived Wic guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done one WIC transaction in the 9 months I've been at Target. Since I'm not a cashier, u would definitely ask a GSA for help with the transaction. Even one of our ETL's who's been with Spot for years told us he still asks for help when ringing ip a WIC guest. Truth is, if you don't do it a lot, it's easy to forget all the steps. Best to ask for help rather than eat the entire purchase.

My store doesn't take WIC but my other grocery store friends constantly complain about it. Why is WIC such a PITA?

My store doesn't take WIC but my other grocery store friends constantly complain about it. Why is WIC such a PITA?

It's actually pretty simple if the guest is familiar with how WIC works. It still does take longer because you have to input the WIC check number, start date, and end date. You also have to have to guest sign the check, write in how much the transaction costs (sometimes), and check to see if they have the proper ID.

The reason it can take longer is if the guest does not inform you that they have WIC, and you have to void the entire transaction because the WIC information needs to be typed in to the register before you start scanning items. Also, if the guest has more than one WIC check the transactions for each check need to be separate, and guests don't always realize that. The items that are and are not accepted in the WIC program can sometimes be confusing as well, or the guest accidentally picks up the wrong size. Or they accidentally get a sugar free, fat free, etc. variety when those aren't allowed by WIC. It can be a pain. When that happens the GSTL either overrides (rarely) or we will go get the proper item for the guest if possible.

We're too close to 2 groc chains so we're not set up to take WIC (our state uses cards for WIC).
Had a guest who INSISTED it would work if I swiped it 'correctly' even tho I told her REPEATEDLY that our registers couldn't accept it.
She bitched to my GSTL & got a handful of apology coupons.

I miss the days when we didn't take WIC. If they could do WIC on a card like SNAP/EBT food it would be so much simpler.

The days I don't miss: Swipe a guest's EBT food card (we only took EBT cash), and then get bitched out about it not working. Then I had to explain we only took the cash benefits and then they would explode in anger because, the other Target could take it. *sigh*

The state-issued guide for consumers here says "self-serve checkouts are NOT allowed" and to separate WIC foods from other groceries and separate foods by check. I've never had a WIC sale even though we accept them but the guide is very straight forward on what they accept, with logos and everything.

The state-issued guide for consumers here says "self-serve checkouts are NOT allowed" and to separate WIC foods from other groceries and separate foods by check. I've never had a WIC sale even though we accept them but the guide is very straight forward on what they accept, with logos and everything.

Your state has a guide that guests are expected to read? Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!

AAAAAARGH We (at least my store) do NOT accept fuckin TRAVELER'S CHECKS. The cashiers always take them and they're NEVER filled out correctly. The one time I saw a traveler's check properly signed and countersigned was when a cashier said "oh yeah we take those" and then called me over to ask me why there the option on the computer to accept a traveler's check didn't work. I ended up accepting the checks and Target will just have to figure out how to cash them.

AAAAAARGH We (at least my store) do NOT accept fuckin TRAVELER'S CHECKS. The cashiers always take them and they're NEVER filled out correctly. The one time I saw a traveler's check properly signed and countersigned was when a cashier said "oh yeah we take those" and then called me over to ask me why there the option on the computer to accept a traveler's check didn't work. I ended up accepting the checks and Target will just have to figure out how to cash them.

I was working in the C.O. and came across a blank Gift Cheque (franked on the back). I ended up just filling it out, because it had no signatures and I didn't want the store to be out the money. It must have been a noob cashier who took it like that, because our veteran cashiers know to ask questions.

Shoot at my store, I was never specifically trained for WIC; my training was just "stand behind this guy for an hour and then we'll cut you loose." No guests with WIC so I didn't learn it. My second day I had a WIC guest, and it was so busy, GS Awould be a while. The guest actually tought me how to do it lol.

Shoot at my store, I was never specifically trained for WIC; my training was just "stand behind this guy for an hour and then we'll cut you loose." No guests with WIC so I didn't learn it. My second day I had a WIC guest, and it was so busy, GS Awould be a while. The guest actually tought me how to do it lol.
They get extensive training on what they can buy and many of them have been doing it for some time. It's a blessing when something doesn't match.

We can no longer accept WIC at the pharmacy. I had a guest want to purchase formula over the weekend & I told her she would have to go elsewhere. She was NOT happy....probably because our store allowed her to get formula that I don't think was technically allowed under the WIC she had. We didn't have it anyway, but she wasn't happy when I told her I couldn't even order it for her :oops:

We can no longer accept WIC at the pharmacy. I had a guest want to purchase formula over the weekend & I told her she would have to go elsewhere. She was NOT happy....probably because our store allowed her to get formula that I don't think was technically allowed under the WIC she had. We didn't have it anyway, but she wasn't happy when I told her I couldn't even order it for her :oops:

CVS won't even let us order Vanicream bars for our guests anymore. I haven't tested WIC at the pharmacy, that's good to know.

Really? We still order them....we just add them to our order :cool:
I did too, it looked successful, but they didn't come in on Monday. It looked like an error (glitch maybe?) when I looked at the paperwork. I am confused as to why it works for your store & not mine? CVS, why must you frustrate me so?

When I talked to the other techs about it, they indicated that CVS won't let us order it. The supplier shows the info for all of it's customers, even if CVS won't approve the item.

I did too, it looked successful, but they didn't come in on Monday. It looked like an error (glitch maybe?) when I looked at the paperwork. I am confused as to why it works for your store & not mine? CVS, why must you frustrate me so?

When I talked to the other techs about it, they indicated that CVS won't let us order it. The supplier shows the info for all of it's customers, even if CVS won't approve the item.
We've had issues with McKesson lately. Stuff coming in that we didn't order, other items showing as received in eps, but not even listed on the invoice. According to them, it's our problem...MySupport says it's not.

we have one guest who wants whole milk. they are approved for low fat. so they'll grab both, and try to argue with the cashier and badger them to get whole milk.

knowing that they won't get their way enough they will leave one set of milk out that we have to throw away.

Hate WIC with a passion. The dreaded "not WICable" message comes up and the guest says "but it said WIC, I'm not going back there to get something else, you better send someone". They wonder why GSAs and GSTLs be ready to just override it. You have lines that look like the DMV and they want you to find the right item.

WIC needs to go like yesterday.

I don't mind WIC itself so much as I mind that WIC guests seemingly always tend to come at the worst possible times. (ie we're completely slammed, lines snaking into softies or "Oh look, 10 minutes left in Star's shift!) and they come to me with 3 WIC checks. :mad::confused:

I don't mind WIC itself so much as I mind that WIC guests seemingly always tend to come at the worst possible times. (ie we're completely slammed, lines snaking into softies or "Oh look, 10 minutes left in Star's shift!) and they come to me with 3 WIC checks. :mad::confused:

"I left a cart of produce on the floor for push and I'm up for backup OH LOOK IT'S A WIC GUEST"

Hey so anyone ever have WIC guests buy stuff with WIC, and then go return the stuff with their ID for store credit? Haha, fuck 'em, right?!

putting-gun-to-head.gif

I'll happily help a WIC guest. Shortly after having a baby, my husband lost his job through downsizing. I was not working. We needed to feed that baby and WIC was there to help me. I remember the burning humiliation from the condescending, withering looks and remarks of cashiers who seemed to think that WIC and food stamp recipients should have a brand on their forehead and let customers with "real" money go first. I'm an hourly employee... so what if it takes me a couple of minutes longer? I'm still getting paid and just maybe I can help a stressed out mom have a couple of decent minutes in her day.

Hate WIC with a passion. The dreaded "not WICable" message comes up and the guest says "but it said WIC, I'm not going back there to get something else, you better send someone". They wonder why GSAs and GSTLs be ready to just override it. You have lines that look like the DMV and they want you to find the right item.

WIC needs to go like yesterday.
Haha, Jokes on them. We can't override WIC status at our store since the state switched over to the WIC cards. They're equally as annoying, but at least I can say "I'm sorry, we can't do anything. You'll have to contact the government agency since they are the ones that tell us what is and is not WIC."

As far as I know, nobody ever does.

Some of these remarks make me sad. This is a program to feed poor, nutritionally at risk women, infants and children up to age 5. Not only must they meet income requirements, they must meet nutrition (or lack thereof) requirements. So it takes a few more minutes to help these people who are trying to feed their babies. Get over yourselves. You're still getting paid for doing the work. Try doing it with a little compassion. You might end up feeling better at the end of the day.

It is a really great program and I've had nothing but pleasant people use it, I even have one mom who always come through my line to do it. I just wish it wasn't so complex, like maybe put the money on a card or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back