Archived Worried about redcards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have worked at Target for about 2 weeks. The TLs have said I am doing a good job but I only have got one person to sign up for a red card.

I really worry they will not keep me after 90 days because of that. I am fast when I cashier but the redcard gives me stress. I ask a lot of customers but they say no no no. A coworker said tell them the benefits but I have a long line all the time because we have few lines open.

I am not comfortable pushing people to get one and I am not a native English speaker so I struggle to find the words. Any advice? This is my first job in the USA. Thank you for helping me.

Ask your GSTL to go through some conversation scenarios with you. It's now all about being able to list of the benefits. You need to find that sweet spot to fit into the conversation. Take the time to read through the weekly catalogues and make sure your GSTL is giving info on extra redcard benefits/promotions.

E.g: "Hey I see you're buying the new PS4 today. Did you know with the redcard you'd be saving 5% with every purchase? It only takes a few minutes to sign up and you'd save $xx today."

"Hey you said you're interested in getting the SNES when it's released. Well we have a redcard exclusive coming soon, allowing redcard holders the chance to purchase one before the general public"

My store is more worried about pushing Target Red, and they come around every 15-20 minutes and ask, "have you gotten any Reds?"

I feel your frustration in that it gets old and boring to ask everyone the same question over and over, only to keep being turned down.

My store is more worried about pushing Target Red, and they come around every 15-20 minutes and ask, "have you gotten any Reds?"

I feel your frustration in that it gets old and boring to ask everyone the same question over and over, only to keep being turned down.
But if the sign up is in the app how do they know if you do? Couldn’t you just say yeah I got 3? Not that you would but still

I've been with spot almost 2 full years. I didn't get a single Redcard in my initial 90 and I'm lucky to get one sign-ups every 3 months since then. frankly, I'm much more comfortable promoting Cartwheel and Wallet.

As long as you're observed to be asking guests, you're okay.

But if the sign up is in the app how do they know if you do? Couldn’t you just say yeah I got 3? Not that you would but still

Very true! They've never told me straight up who/what counts as a sign-up.
1) Those I tell about it?
2) Those I scan and already have it?
3) Those whom I assist with the sign-up?

I've tried to be accurate in my numbers.

All you need to do is ask every guest.

Your leaders can coach you for not asking everyone about the RC. However, your leaders can appear pushy that you need to make a daily goal of RCs but they can't really fire you for not getting any.

That is relieving. The told me my goal was 2 yesterday but I got zero. I felt bad not reaching the goal because I want to do a good job.

That is relieving. The told me my goal was 2 yesterday but I got zero. I felt bad not reaching the goal because I want to do a good job.
As long as your leaders see and hear you attempting to ask about RCs / engaging with guests about them, you'll be OK. :)

Yeah, basically, the perks of Target Red boil down to three things:
  1. Earn 1% credit on every transaction ($100 transaction? Here's a buck!) which you can save up and use later either in store or online (except if you have the REDcard, where you only save 5% and no 1% for you!)
  2. Free next-day Target Restock deliveries
  3. "Voting" on which charities Target donates more to in your area
If they have a REDcard, I don't even bother explaining the program. I just go, "oh yay!" and keep that shit moving. They don't care to sign up for this stuff if they're not earning 1% on top of their 5% discount, so why bother?

Last edited:
Sounds like they're trying to make Target Red a gateway for people who don't have the red card. The only real incentive is the 1%, with no real commitment, and after awhile 5% will start to sound better and better

Yeah, basically, the perks of Target Red boil down to three things:
  1. Earn 1% credit on every transaction ($100 transaction? Here's 10 cents) which you can save up and use later either in store or online (except if you have the REDcard, where you only save 5% and no 1% for you!)
  2. Free next-day Target Restock deliveries
  3. "Voting" on which charities Target donates more to in your area
If they have a REDcard, I don't even bother explaining the program. I just go, "oh yay!" and keep that shit moving. They don't care to sign up for this stuff if they're not earning 1% on top of their 5% discount, so why bother?
1% of $100 is $1. Still sucky but better than 10 cents

Explain to your GSTL what you just told us. If a new cashier comes to me and asks for help, I am more than happy to give advise or pair you up with our top performer to see what he does to get red cards..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back