Archived Would You Lead As A Favor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
There is a duo at my store that lead the team without getting any kind of pay for it. They lead the team when our actual lead is not in and when she's there. She has a weird time slot, she only works in the morning so, the other 2 guys do her job when she leaves. The ETLs now rely on them to lead the team and take all the responsibilities a TL would have without giving them a single penny for it. They haven't been offered a TL spot and I'm not even sure if the store is looking to hire another lead. I think they're just good friends with our TL. They're doing this practically for free though and the rest of the team are uncomfortable being told what to do by an equal. Honestly, they don't bother me because I know my job and do it. They haven't come up to me to "lead" me to do anything. Still think it's dumb though. Hearing them on the walkie pretending they're leads is kind of annoying at times. Would you guys lead for free?

There is a duo at my store that lead the team without getting any kind of pay for it. They lead the team when our actual lead is not in and when she's there. She has a weird time slot, she only works in the morning so, the other 2 guys do her job when she leaves. The ETLs now rely on them to lead the team and take all the responsibilities a TL would have without giving them a single penny for it. They haven't been offered a TL spot and I'm not even sure if the store is looking to hire another lead. I think they're just good friends with our TL. They're doing this practically for free though and the rest of the team are uncomfortable being told what to do by an equal. Honestly, they don't bother me because I know my job and do it. They haven't come up to me to "lead" me to do anything. Still think it's dumb though. Hearing them on the walkie pretending they're leads is kind of annoying at times. Would you guys lead for free?

They may not be officially TLs, but they could be on the "bench" to become one. It's part of developing TMs in case a TL leaves, they will need a backup ASAP. That could take a couple months, sometimes half a year. Honestly, if ETLs are okay with it, then other TMs have to set aside their ego and deal with it.

TLs putting a certain TM in charge within their workcenter while away is nothing new. It's not like their setting schedules or writing reviews. Now are they getting screwed with pay? Probably. But that's Target for you. I've seen TMs with 10+ years experience with specialty positions that only make a dollar or two more than seasonal.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it. I will say that on the days my tl is off, we go over the workload together so that I know what is going on. And my etls and the stl seem to think my tl and I are interchangeable. If he isn't there, I get asked all the questions.

But, in compensation, I'm given a pretty free reign to spend my time do my stuff, which is signing. Maybe I'm justifying them using me. I wouldn't, however, lead daily, weekly, monthly without more pay.

Now are they getting screwed with pay? Probably. But that's Target for you. I've seen TMs with 10+ years experience with specialty positions that only make a dollar or two more than seasonal.
This is kind of heartbreaking because, I have a few of those at my store too. Great workers too, deserve more than they're given.

Hey that shouldn’t apply to all!

I was a TL without the pay for a bit and if there is ONE EXCEPTION.. it should be GSA.
You were promoted to TL without a raise? Or, how did that happen? I share the same mentality as No Nix but, only if I know you're a goof who doesn't work and just wants to point fingers everywhere and expect you to follow. The 2 guys I work with that "lead" are genuinely good and hard workers. The only thing wrong is that we feel it isn't necessarily fair for them and that being told what to do by someone that share the same title as us is uncomfortable. Uncomfortable in the sense that, these guys are close with the TL and feel like they have some kind of special privilege.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't feel earned. A lot of the TMs they lead bust their asses hard every day. I would rather be led by some of those guys instead.

Hey that shouldn’t apply to all!

I was a TL without the pay for a bit and if there is ONE EXCEPTION.. it should be GSA.
With my knowledge and experience I see GSAs as equals, so....

And then you look at their paycheck!
We make about the same only because they work more hours than me, but my hourly is higher because I've been there forever and get the highest score on my review. If not for that, I would make 50 cents more assuming they are at the regular base pay and not the specialized area base pay.

Would you guys lead for free?

I was an unofficial TL for awhile and didn't get paid for it but it led to me being the official TL a few months later. Sometimes you have to sacrifice your pride and suck it up. It never bothered me because I knew the STLs and HR were watching me and it helped me get the official TL job. It was a lot of practice and I enjoyed it.

Fake it til you make it
Dress(do the work) for the job you WANT, not the job you HAVE
Key to advancement: Make your boss look good or at least do something that makes thier job easier.

Spot on if you're looking to move up at Target.

If you are there to just earn some income, don't do the bosses job without the pay. Do the job for which you are paid.

Sounds like Captains. Which is what glorious title I was saddled with in SFS this season. All the responsibility of management and zero of the perks. 😑
Nope. I don't do that for free. Def Captains. I do it in Market but I'm slowly backing down. If you want me to lead then you would make me a lead already. I'm not doin that shit for free! 😝

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't feel earned. A lot of the TMs they lead bust their asses hard every day. I would rather be led by some of those guys instead.
I get what you mean. I see that shit at my store. That's why the market team respects me more and doesn't mind when I tell them what to do and comes to me instead of them.

I don't want to but end up doing it since when my ETL and TL are not there someone has to give direction to the children that are wandering around since they can't seem to figure out after being told what their job actually is. So if I want anything to get done I have to lead.

If we could hire or keep good team members you wouldn't need all these freebie leaders cause people would do their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back