Archived Wrist Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else get wrist pain from using a PDA all day? BR people especially? My predecessor was in a wrist support thing all day while working and complained of chronic pain. I am ambidextrous so maybe it isn't so bad for me but I have heard of other TMs having to go to the doctor for this.

An Instocks TM at my store used to wear a wrist brace and eventually he had to have carpal tunnel surgery, but I'm not sure if that was from the PDA or not.

oh man. i used to get really bad wrist pain as a hardlines TM. HBA was my department and from zoning around the sticky dividers and pulling product forward all the time with your wrist at the exact angle made my right wrist ache. it sounds stupid, but that was definitely the case. haven't had it since i don't perform that task anymore.

When I was Backroom/Instocks full time it got to a point where I'd get twinging pain a few days a week. I'd try to switch to an LPDA if it happened.

I've never had any wrist problems since I moved to the sales floor (and I have pretty twingy wrists), but that's probably because I stick to the LPDA's and only use a PDA on rare occasion. Those things are heavy and awkward; I can see how they could do a number on your wrists!

Suggestions to help alleviate the problem...wear a wrist brace, perhaps? It will give you added support and help keep your wrist from bending or flexing excessively, which is what causes carpal tunnel. Other than that, maybe make a conscious effort to not overwork your wrist and to use it properly...your wrists, just like your back, neck, etc., needs to use proper ergonomics and technique otherwise you're just straining muscles.

Stupid question, does anyone use a holster? I do,. Holstered the PDA when pulling stuff after scanning the item. That should help some.

I've been working in pricing for a month or so now and I've already had some hand pain. Not just wrist but full hand as well. I've actually had hand cramps lol Maybe it is due to the weighty PDAs, but at the same time it's much easier for my job to use them over the LPDAs.

Littlebluej, you might look at going to a craft store and getting one of those crochet gloves. I got hand cramps from taking notes when I started college and using that helped. You might even be able to find one that will give your wrist a little support. Something like this... http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/087344.html

Also, you might talk to your doctor. Might have some good suggestions for you.

I get pain in my wrists and hands in general due to other reasons but you could wear the items others have suggested and also try IcyHot Arthritis lotion. We sell it, you apply it on your wrists or any place with pain and it'll help make the pain go away. It stinks like hell but it works!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back