Wtf are Order Pick Ups?

UboatOfDeath

The time frame vs reality
Forgive my ignorance, but apparently my shift at target has been changed or rather is in the process of being changed I'm still a overnight "inbound" team member...
But my store wants me to do "pulls" and order pick ups?

I legit hate the backroom and any backroom duties with a passion so I asked the lady from HR that I had to decline the shift change?

I'm honestly okay with unloading the truck, sorting out merchandise in receiving during the unloads , pushing and backstocking whatever came from the truck...

I think order pickup is flex. Guests order online to pick up at store. Flex team members shop for the items guest have ordered.

I think order pickup is flex. Guests order online to pick up at store. Flex team members shop for the items guest have ordered.
Would there be a certain place you hold those items that guest have ordered?

I assume you haven't been trained to do OPUs? Weird that they would schedule you that without any training.

Make it clear that you have not been trained on OPU and they may switch that out. If not, make sure they train you on it first.

It's not difficult, but going from Inbound to flex isn't intuitive.

happygoth, GMTA

I assume you haven't been trained to do OPUs? Weird that they would schedule you that without any training.
I have not been trained to do any opu
Make it clear that you have not been trained on OPU and they may switch that out. If not, make sure they train you on it first.

It's not difficult, but going from Inbound to flex isn't intuitive.

happygoth, GMTA

I I did let HR know that I wasn't trained. However she told me that I should definitely consider it... She specifically told me that they might schedule me that role for next week and if things go well they will have me assigned to fullfil that role...

OPU and SFS picking was the absolute most fun I had working at Target. Outside of the unload and breakout (when that was still a thing).
If you have been stocking the shelves for ahwile you should be fairly familiar with the location of everything. Getting paid to go around and shop for items is a piece of cake.
Well, at least it was back when everything was taken care of by the end of the day. Stores with dozens of pallets of unopened overpacks would not be so fun.

I say go for it my man.

OPU and SFS picking was the absolute most fun I had working at Target. Outside of the unload and breakout (when that was still a thing).
If you have been stocking the shelves for ahwile you should be fairly familiar with the location of everything. Getting paid to go around and shop for items is a piece of cake.
Well, at least it was back when everything was taken care of by the end of the day. Stores with dozens of pallets of unopened overpacks would not be so fun.

I say go for it my man.
Hmmm doesn't sound so bad when put it like this 🤔

If I ever change work centers (which I think about daily), I would do fulfillment in a heartbeat. Already, I do a lot of it when we are short staffed and I find it really fun albeit exhausting.

I have some great news, apparently I don't have to worry about doing pulls/opu's the new people who got hired got those roles instead! Now I see the new hires running around the store looking for whatever items the my device tells them to get!

I love all the go backs restocks that never get picked up. Target is the only company where you can order stuff online never pickup and never get charged for it. I feel like it’s a game some Kids are doing.

I love all the go backs restocks that never get picked up. Target is the only company where you can order stuff online never pickup and never get charged for it. I feel like it’s a game some Kids are doing.
Target made they big mistakes with setting up OPU.

1. No minimum order (i.e if under $35 charge a small fee)
  2. No maximum weight (i.e. cases of water)
  3. No Maximum size (i.e. bookcases)

those aren't mistakes. those are intentional. We legit have signage that says "Let us do the heavy lifting"

The reason OPU is so competitive is that we DON'T have those restrictions.
Great point!

Target needs to do more pickup lockers like Home Depot for small orders.

I did one of these FOUR YEARS ago before our store even had OPU.

Last edited:
I've used these before. They're pretty nice but I don't think it would be too useful for big stores honestly. We alr have so many small orders. it would just be "oh do I have to talk to a person or a locker". Plus I doubt they're cheaper.

For a locker that size. YOu could put like 40 ish hold spaces. My store has 430 GUESTS with a good amount having multiple orders.

Good idea. Just not for how big target opu is.

I've used these before. They're pretty nice but I don't think it would be too useful for big stores honestly. We alr have so many small orders. it would just be "oh do I have to talk to a person or a locker". Plus I doubt they're cheaper.

For a locker that size. YOu could put like 40 ish hold spaces. My store has 430 GUESTS with a good amount having multiple orders.

Good idea. Just not for how big target opu is.
I wonder what our store is going to do after the remodel.

It doesn't matter what your OPU capacity is if you don't have enough workers!

Great point!

I did one of these FOUR YEARS ago before our store even had OPU.

Or, do OPU like Kohl's.....Self Service.

Anything small enough to fit in a cubby goes to the self serve, rest you have to go to the service desk to get.

Anything small enough to fit in a cubby goes to the self serve, rest you have to go to the service desk to get.
thing is. we have wayyyyy too many orders for that. My store gets about 400 guests just normally. in Q4 we're expecting to see about 500+ guests. Cubby wall gives us like 30 ish spots for a pickup spot. just not practical for target.

Back