Archived You racist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, today I was cashiering when all of a sudden this little girl, around the age of four comes out of nowhere and just stands there; staring at batteries, chips, candy - all of the front lanes items- Then, this other woman with a cart full of stuff walks up behind her as this little girl steps aside for her. I begin helping this woman as I assume the little girl was looking at items. Next thing I know this girl's father comes up and is yelling at me, "Seriosuly? That's how you guys run things here? She was holding my place in line - It's because we're black, isn't it? I'm so over all of the racism."

Before I can bother to call over a GSTL the guy is running to my GSTL yelling at her that he "doesn't want to talk, where's your store manager?"

A couple of things:
I don't care if you're white, black, Hispanic, gay, straight, lesbian, or the president of the United States. If eye contact isn't made with me, voice communication isn't made with me, and or ITEMS ARE NOT HELD/ON THE BELT - I plan to help my next guest.

Mondays, amirite?

I guess the only thing you could have done different is to ask the little girl why she was standing there, which no matter the color seems like it would be a good idea.
When I have to deal with someone who has jumped straight to the most hostile place possible (and it tends to happen fairly regularly because some of the people I work with live their disability) I just keep the most professional attitude possible and handle each thing they are upset about in turn.
Sometimes this makes them more upset but they can't complain that you didn't handle the situation fairly.

Personally I wouldn't even have asked the girl why she was standing there. Kids are always coming and going through the lanes I'm sure no one even gives them a second thought anymore. If she was there to hold a spot (which also seems unnecessary if there wasn't even a line considering someone else just went straight in) she probably should have been the one to be like "my daddy is coming in a second!"

Honestly even then I probably wouldn't have held the spot. It's just holdup for a line that may show up at any second.

I see nothing that you did wrong. I have seen plenty of kids who just wander up to the lanes and just stare at the candy and chips. Even if the girl acknowledged that she was holding a place in line for her father, if he wasn't up there by the time another guest came to the lane, I am going to help that new guest.

The father was a douche bag A-Hole who wanted to start trouble.

I love it when a guest pulls the race card, because that's when I know that they have run out of ways to try and con you out of money. If they stoop to personal insults I know that I have truly won.

Mondays, amirite?

Lmao... You maybe don't know this but some folk use "Monday" as a sorta secret slur. That way they can be racist without being obvious (well, not so secret anymore). Apparently they chose Mondays because no one likes them lololol. I'm dying.

Disclaimer: I'm black. Not laughing because slurs are funny, but that little sentence at the end of that particular story was just... Comedy to me because I assume you were actually talking about the day of the week. I'm still cackling.

Lmao... You maybe don't know this but some folk use "Monday" as a sorta secret slur. That way they can be racist without being obvious (well, not so secret anymore). Apparently they chose Mondays because no one likes them lololol. I'm dying.

Disclaimer: I'm black. Not laughing because slurs are funny, but that little sentence at the end of that particular story was just... Comedy to me because I assume you were actually talking about the day of the week. I'm still cackling.

Literally just talking about the day of the week.

Literally just talking about the day of the week.

I figured you were. I'm cackling again, though. It probably will cease to be funny tomorrow when I'm more awake, but for now, thanks for unintentionally making me laugh.

I got accused of being racist on my first day working alone because I dared walk up to a black guy and ask him if he needed help with something after I watched him rip open a phone case, remove it from the package, stick it in his pocket, and walk away. Went like this:
Me: "Hey, do you need help with anything?"
He removes the phone case from his pocket and literally throws it at me.
Him: "You though I was gonna steal this didn't you?"
Me: "No sir, I was just checking if you were finding everything all right."
Him: "It's cause I'm black, isn't it? I can't even go to a store without getting harassed!" (getting loud now)
Me: "Sir, I'm sorry if you misinterpreted what I meant, but if you don't calm down, you're going to have to leave." (calls for LOD)
Him: "F*ck you!!!" (as loud as possible)
Me: "Sir, you need to leave."
LOD shows up and we manage to convince the guy to leave, but not until we threaten to call the cops.
After the guy left, the LOD pulled me aside and basically apologized that this had to happen on my first night alone (I wasn't really phased, have dealt with horrible people before, but it was nice of her to say), but that it was going to happen sooner or later. As she said if you've been in AP for long enough without being called racist/sexist/homophobic/a hater of children/something else, you're not doing your job right because that's a lot of shoplifters' first defense. It's just what you have to deal with, not only in AP but in any job in retail.

Got called a racist for this:
4 out of the 6 automatic carts were being used in the store. One of them just started charging, and the other was dead in Lowes' parking lot (our next door neighbor).
Guy comes in and is furious that he can't use one.
I tell him that we have a wheel chair if he needs one.
Guest: "It's because I'm Mexican. I know it, you guys just hate all of us. Just because we come here and want to live. F**k you! I hate Target!"
I still see him from time to time, so I guess he doesn't really hate Target too much.

On a lighter note (not that this better story is racist, but it involves people who are different nationalities), we once had a guest who came in who spoke Chinese. They called out on walkie to see if any TM new how to speak Chinese. Of course no one answered, but then a hispanic guest who was just talking in Spanish (I understand a little Spanish so I knew he was talking spanish) said, "I can speak Chinese. Where do I go?". That guy was total boss.

Last edited:

Apparently 'Canadians' is a slur in the restaurant industry for black people. "Canadian's are terrible tippers", etc.
Seriously, the shit people come up with....

I had a guest accuse me of being racist because I told him we couldn't accept his "pro/cod actavis only, 1000ml, 1-2 PRN cough refills:pRN." Written for "Joe Smith, DOB 2/14/30" by an OB/GYN who is literally over an hour and a half away. I told him it had nothing to do with his race, and proceeded to list all of the "problems" with the Rx: OB/GYN writing for an 83 y.o. MALE is WAAAYYYY beyond his "scope of practice", 1000ml, no "actual" dosing (1-2 WHAT?) on a control?, not enough info on drug name (pro/cod), PRN refills not allowed on control?, Actavis not available at the time, no doctor name written on Rx (only had clinic "Northern XX OB/GYN") & couldn't read signature, no provider DEA, md was located NORTHEAST of us...area code on Rx was SOUTHWEST. I also refused to give it back to him and threatened to call the police. He called me a racist bitch again and left with no Rx & no "pro/cod" ;)

I had no idea that "Monday" was a thing. Thanks for the information. I'll be careful talking about Mondays from now on I guess. People are weird. Smh

then a hispanic guest who was just talking in Spanish (I understand a little Spanish so I knew he was talking spanish) said, "I can speak Chinese. Where do I go?". That guy was total boss.
This guy wins the Internet if he can only translate Chinese into Spanish.

Last edited:
Got accused of being racist because I wouldn't return a bag full of at least 30 spanx (undergarment type thing) with no receipt. He said "I feel discriminated against, if I was an old white lady you wouldn't do this." He obviously hasn't seen me with guests with high amounts of products and.no receipts. Nobody and I mean nobody would get a gift card from me, even exchange.

I recall catching someone offguard back when I was in school when they tried this argument.

Them: You hate me because I'm black. I get it. You're racist.
Me: You are indeed black. I do indeed dislike you. Alas, the two are completely unrelated, I dislike all assholes. You're buddy Joe over there. Good guy, like him. He's black too.
Them: I don't buy that, it's obviously because I'm black. Watch this. Hey Joe, this guy ever been rude to you because you were black? He's hassling me, and I know it's cause he's racist.
Joe: Nah, never harasses me. Pretty sure he's just harassing you because you're being a dickhead.
Them: Wait, what?

"I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, bicyclist, rich, or poor either you're an asshole or you're not."
A quote from a friend of mine.

I hate it when people pull the race card. Not everyone's out to get you, calm the fuck down.

I had an employee try to play the card when I gave her a poor review. I am Jewish and she is Muslim. She went so far and got our Market HR manager involved in it. I had to pull all 100+ reviews of my other Muslim employees that got meets expectations or higher. I pulled all of this TM documented coaching and write ups to prove she warranted a below expectations.

It was extremely upsetting that I had to be interviewed by higher up HR managers about my religious beliefs and had my integrity questioned for a split second.

Luckily, I was able to prove that she was a crap worker and my religion had nothing to due with her ability to perform her job duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back