Archived Your Weirdest Scam/Fraud Moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We stopped a girl who duped one of our newb baristas with the 'giftcard-was-a-gift-it-should-have-lots-of-money-on-it'.
She came back the next day, tried it with me & I held the drink waiting for her to swipe the giftcard.
Came up $0.00, started stammering about it supposedly having $75 on it; don't know WHAT could've happened to it & she had NO other way to pay.
I told her to call the 800 number on back as I tossed the drink; she never came back.
Another one we watch for is the guy who swipes his SB card & goes down to the hand-off point to grab his drink, hoping we won't notice that payment didn't go thru. He doesn't come around any more either.
I had someone try this at pharmacy as well. She showed up with one of the "free w/purchase" cards that had $5 written on it (that she tried to change to $50-in different pen.) When I told her the gc only had $5 on it, she tried to say she "reloaded it online."

I had someone try this at pharmacy as well. She showed up with one of the "free w/purchase" cards that had $5 written on it (that she tried to change to $50-in different pen.) When I told her the gc only had $5 on it, she tried to say she "reloaded it online."
if that happens what i say is "sorry i can only take $5 (or whatever it comes up as) if you'd like i can not take it and you can call the GC hotline and they can look at the transaction history" that usually shuts them up

Off-topic question about those white gift cards. One time I had been collecting them for a bit over several shopping trips and then one day handed 5 of them ($30 total) to the cashier and she gave me such an evil look. (I don't know why. Any answers from those who are regularly cashiers?) Can the cashier just scan one with $5 or $10 already on it and add to the amount to the card instead of me having multiple small cards?

Off-topic question about those white gift cards. One time I had been collecting them for a bit over several shopping trips and then one day handed 5 of them ($30 total) to the cashier and she gave me such an evil look. (I don't know why. Any answers from those who are regularly cashiers?) Can the cashier just scan one with $5 or $10 already on it and add to the amount to the card instead of me having multiple small cards?
no reason for the evil look. it maybe takes us an extra few seconds to scan but no big deal. after you accumilate, go to self checkout, or GS and get them combined.

I've had guests use 5 or 6 gift cards and I never thought twice about it. Never frowned, never blinked, usually I act happy like we've just won a prize. Gift cards are a happy thing, they're free money so good for them!!!

If I get nasty looks, exasperated sounds, or general bad attitude from a cashier, I'm likely to become really aggravating. I can hold up a line like nobody's business but I can also ask for a manager and make you cry. I don't put up with shit from any retail store.

Had a guest come up to me with one of those Visa-branded gift cards. I scanned it, and of course the computer pops up with the "can't pay for this with a gift card" message. The guy pauses for a moment, looks slightly dejectedly at the Target gift card in his hand, and goes, "Oh. I thought I could cheat the system. Nevermind." He simply walked away without another word.

I mean... I wasn't sure whether to think he was dumb enough to try that, or to give him kudos for being that honest about what he was doing.

OMG that is crazy!!!! I remember the old post. Of all of the random things to do to scam, this one is very odd.

I rarely work GS, but when I do, if I call for AP or LOD, they know that something is up. The former AP-ETL once said that he knew that I didn't need him in most cases. Once he was watching something go down on video and he commented, "She won't need us. She's a beast," which I took as a compliment.
we have a girl like that at the service desk. when a fraudster comes by my TPS says "I'm gonna go check on my girl "her name" and see what that was, i know she did good though"

We had this one lady that would come in at least once every two weeks or so. She would grab clearance items and pull the stickers off and put them on full price items. Cashiers were just giving her the sticker price so by the time ap started realizing what was going on she was overly confident. My AP guy would always have me guest service her and finally investigations got involved after our AP guy built up enough evidence and what not. So about 2 weeks goes by and I ask AP if she has been in since last time, he proceeds to tell me that investigations went to her place of work to speak to her, she was on vacation in Africa...either way haven't seen her since.

Had a guest come in with several bags of toys. Claims our cashier didn't give him a receipt, only a gift receipt o_O Of course the transaction was today so the gift receipt wouldn't process. Told him to come back tomorrow. Someone is gonna be upset when they realize they are only getting a gift card. :rolleyes:

Had a guest come in with several bags of toys. Claims our cashier didn't give him a receipt, only a gift receipt o_O Of course the transaction was today so the gift receipt wouldn't process. Told him to come back tomorrow. Someone is gonna be upset when they realize they are only getting a gift card. :rolleyes:
Yeah that's literally not possible. I would have said "huh. That's weird-- a gift receipt always prints out with a normal receipt on top. Which cashier was it?" The which cashier was it always gets em

I had a guest today try to return a pair of pants with a receipt but didn't have the pants lol I was like No....? Come back with the pants.
Almost beats the time someone tried to return a 2lb package of oranges with just two oranges like these oranges are not a pound each nice try

Almost beats the time someone tried to return a 2lb package of oranges with just two oranges like these oranges are not a pound each nice try

Hmmm...We have a guest that buys simply balanced lemonade drinks 95% and returns it. Then buys another to start the process all over every week. We were told as long as she has a receipt...

Hmmm...We have a guest that buys simply balanced lemonade drinks 95% and returns it. Then buys another to start the process all over every week. We were told as long as she has a receipt...
That's insane. At my store it's 50% of product or no dice. If that woman tried it more than once with me I would be all "hmm, I've noticed you return this often, do you want me to check and see if we have other flavors you may like?"

But seriously that's insane

Had one guy try to return a bunch of swim wear for his "wife and had some random tags on there. Denied them, ended up getting CT'd.

I had two Malaysian ladies it looked like who had both bought a shit ton of the EXACT same shampoo, all got 4 giftcards each, and had the same identical coupons. Now, don't go and always assume what you see is actually coupon fraud, but I was 100% sure and i shut that shit down... turns out it was lol.

I didn't go up and say "Hey, you guys are committing coupon fraud, I can't let you continue" it was more like "Hey, you guys reached your limit, we can't accept any more of your coupons, sorry!" and one of them was in such a big hurry she decided to just leave everything... lol. I took away 4 full bags of Loreal shampoo, Olay shampoo, and some other brand, and took it to guest service and surprised them lmao. I feel bad for whoever had to restock that all.

I had two Malaysian ladies it looked like who had both bought a shit ton of the EXACT same shampoo, all got 4 giftcards each, and had the same identical coupons. Now, don't go and always assume what you see is actually coupon fraud, but I was 100% sure and i shut that shit down... turns out it was lol.

I didn't go up and say "Hey, you guys are committing coupon fraud, I can't let you continue" it was more like "Hey, you guys reached your limit, we can't accept any more of your coupons, sorry!" and one of them was in such a big hurry she decided to just leave everything... lol. I took away 4 full bags of Loreal shampoo, Olay shampoo, and some other brand, and took it to guest service and surprised them lmao. I feel bad for whoever had to restock that all.
It always happens on Saturdays. That's the last day of the ad, and it gives them time to get the coupons shipped to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back