MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can this company please invest in some Wi-Fi stability in store? Half of the zebra devices at our store are not working because they cannot connect through the Wi-Fi
If you've got time,
3rd page > mySettings > Reset WiFi > Place on charger wait 10-15 minutes

No time (short term usually)
3rd page > AirWatch Agent > Profiles > (press and hold on) G2 - tcwireless - PAC - 0XX (where XX is the last two digits of store number) [Re apply]

I work in pet supplies and the zoning is a nightmare. Especially with all the paper dog treat bags that don't always stand up. And then I get yelled at for not being fast enough with zoning.

I got pulled into the office last month and told that I'm not zoning enough. I've been paranoid about my job this last month. I've been with this company since the end of 2017 and I've never been like this.

I honestly can’t speak directly if E2E is going “magnificent” at my store, not sure how you properly observe that aspect since we aren’t 100% E2E when it comes to the processes of the team. We still have not got any of the New titles not the changes to the ETL structure which I’m assuming is happening this spring after the big meeting.

At my store, Electronics, beauty, A&A and market are fully E2E. Our Plano got dissolved and flow is next on the transition. Flow was to be 100% into the E2E process but we’re still doing it like normal to an extent. They are scheduled into hardlines but primarily works on getting the products to the floor, we do have a few that actually helps with a couple of SPL and price changes but not all entirely (which we are still working on).

My previous normal hardline guys does everything. Price, Transitions, audits, zone, reshop, fast service, backstock, helps with push and sometimes fillgroups.

As a HL TL (we have 3 in my store) I primarily over see Electronics & Entertainment/Toys/Home Imp/sporting goods/hardware/auto (for my store that’s A,B,C block). Though I pretty much run the sales floor entirely to be honest when I’m there. Not something that I was asked to do, but i always took intitiave on the entire store process and help out when and where I can with both sales floor, backroom and front end.

I took a look at the numbers since prior leadership before I started and compared to mine, I’ve being there for almost a year and Electronics comped about 12% after I pretty much gutted and implemented strict daily and weekly routines for my team to do. The DTL already gave me praises that my areas have been the best she has ever seen it in a long time and the numbers are showing.
My Electronics Team are 100% clean on push every day. And they do everything in their area, price change, sales planners, push, set their graphics, revisions, etc. etc.

Beauty I noticed is struggling in coming clean with their push but I don’t know if that’s E2E is to be blame or for the fact imo there are 2-3 horrible TMs in that department who are pretty slow pace at what they do which leaves the burden on the other ones who are really good.

A&A are always last and/or is struggling with keeping up with price changes.

Market is hit/miss but it was struggling few months ago. Our old ETL-Food went on “LOA” and now have new a ETL in that area and he seems to be good so far. So we will see if he can get market under control. If he does then honestly I would think it has little do when a store fails to blame it on E2E.

I’ve worked retail long enough and I’m a firm believer it starts by having the right leadership, then the team. And leadership needs to hold people accountable and set expectations otherwise people that half ass and get away with it without repercussions will never show the need to ever actual work if no one calls them out on their performance. Hence why I firmly believe the performance of a store falls under leadership.

Do I think E2E is perfect? No, I don’t believe any system is perfect. Everything has their pros and cons. I however believe people should own their area, this was the way we did it at my last job and I actually love that concept. It enabled my previous team to be strong at their areas, more time to gain intensive detail product knowledge by being around it repeatedly to the point they became a walking encyclopedia for their area. They knew what they have in the back, what they have on the floor, what’s changing out when, what’s coming in which helped them be more confident in providing guest service.

I have current TMs here who confess they hate helping guest in certain areas simply because they don’t know the products that well and have been thrown in so many areas he couldn’t be an expert at anything but only just enough to “work” the areas.

The one thing I will express negatively at my store is this, Market NEEDS more staffing. With the current model there isn’t enough TMs staffed to keep market where it needs to be imo. Hardlines and Electronics are coming good despite being “skeleton crew” but I can tell Market needs more bodies to get all they need to do done in a timely manner.

Last edited:
The new hours and expectations we've already rolled out are crashing and burning. We're losing so many people, including TLs, with more to go as mids become mandatory. We have no one on the bench, and no one coming in for interviews at all.
Is there any chance they change some of these things, or are they really going to keep pushing when there's no staff??

I don't want to quit until benefits roll over because my dependent hit OOP max this year, but things are getting desperate where I'm at...

All leaders being told they will have to work 11-730 shifts instead of their normal rotation. We're currently doing 9-530 and 10-630, with rumors of moving later, and already people are quitting.
Especially since most of our TMs aren't held to the same standards, working like 7-noon shifts because of availability, and TLs don't really make that much more money right now.

Saw something in the chat I was curious about. Is GSA/SEA going away completely now? (I've been in the pilot and we're still here, but I didn't know if that had changed now that it's rolling out companywide.) How is that going to shake out if they want TLs/Leads working mids only? Are they going to give more well-qualified cashiers numbers and rotate the opens/closes?

All leaders being told they will have to work 11-730 shifts instead of their normal rotation. We're currently doing 9-530 and 10-630, with rumors of moving later, and already people are quitting.
Especially since most of our TMs aren't held to the same standards, working like 7-noon shifts because of availability, and TLs don't really make that much more money right now.
Sorry for double-post, but I've worked in two stores in a pilot district, and yeah, the Leads came in somewhere between 9-11 and left between 5-7. GSTL has been 10-6:30 at both stores, when they aren't low on GSA/SEA headcount (which is most of the time).

I work 9-2...would work later but they are very nearly chasing us out the door the second it's 1:45. "Get out no later than 5 hours!" It's just...ugh.

Skeleton crew, and we have no hours. There's been stuff left over after nearly every truck.

Antennae

BROPU
If I'm going to be held to TL standards give me that pay too.

signingminion

WAVing in the air like I just don't care
I find it offensive that my STL hasn't said anything to the plano team about this.
The Q1 guide includes key dates for the actual conversation, which includes taking to effected tl or tm prior to these meetings. But it's a fit in or get out sounding discussion on paper. They've been hanging out over the pptl for months her job is going away with no answer as to what she'll do. I'm over it.

Yetive

Servant of 2 Masters
I find it offensive that my STL hasn't said anything to the plano team about this.
I've point blank questioned my stl and ETLhr about this. They say there are no specifics and more information later. I told the I didn't want to walk in one day and be told I no longer have a position.
There are specific days scheduled to roll all of this out in stores. ETLs in the morning, TLs in the afternoon, TMs after that. All stores should be hearing at the same time. STLs also have a specific time to get the plan. Highly impacted ETLs, TLs, and TMs are to be spoken to ahead of the meeting. There are no KNOWN specifics at store level until after Spring meeting.

Don't take this as gospel, but a leader at a neighboring store has said there was talk about pulling back on part of the plano team stuff, because everything was completely falling apart in pilot stores during big transitions, especially stuff like Beauty and gifting. SL can handle sets because the sets are flexible, HL is completely different.

If I'm going to be held to TL standards give me that pay too.
This was about schedules and hours, not expectations/workload. We bend over backwards at our store to accommodate TM's dumb availabilities (half my team's not available weekends, or during peak hours, and a lot of them didn't work on Thanksgiving, even) because the hiring pool is non-existent, and a lot of this new schedule is to accommodate that. And, quite frankly, to continue cutting TM's hours because they can expect more work out of a leader.

You're about to be held to a much worse standard when your leaders aren't around to help manage the workload, tbh. My TMs that come in before me are expected to assess the day and the workload and get started on it with zero direction. Freight, plano, price changes, audit are all expected to be planned for, started, and well underway, if not finished, before I get there. E2E TMs are now expected to be complete "business owners" of their assigned sections, and operate without leadership aid or direction.
It's completely unfair for the pay, I agree, and I don't know how TPTB think this is going to pan out in the long haul.

Don't take this as gospel, but a leader at a neighboring store has said there was talk about pulling back on part of the plano team stuff, because everything was completely falling apart in pilot stores during big transitions, especially stuff like Beauty and gifting. SL can handle sets because the sets are flexible, HL is completely different.
I have heard this as well. But I don't trust it yet.

PackAndCry

The request has been cleared.
See, the thing is, they might as well, because realistically, they can't do shit to prevent any store from keeping a plano team if they really want to. Hell, we still have a secret instocks team, and that was supposed to be gone ages ago. They can kick everyone out of the Presentation workcenter and force them to be scheduled as Hardlines, but as long as the TMs are coached on what to say if they're asked about what they're doing during a visit, it's likely that even if plano was "eliminated", a lot of stores would just schedule the old plano team under the new workcenter and have them doing what they've been doing.

See, the thing is, they might as well, because realistically, they can't do shit to prevent any store from keeping a plano team if they really want to. Hell, we still have a secret instocks team, and that was supposed to be gone ages ago. They can kick everyone out of the Presentation workcenter and force them to be scheduled as Hardlines, but as long as the TMs are coached on what to say if they're asked about what they're doing during a visit, it's likely that even if plano was "eliminated", a lot of stores would just schedule the old plano team under the new workcenter and have them doing what they've been doing.
We were doing this for quite a while with price changes and inbound, and of course one of the TMs opened their mouth when we had a visit, because they just had to be a smart ass to corporate about how the new system sucked.
We've had a lot of scrutiny on our processes since then, and I doubt our STL is willing to put himself out like that again. Like, they literally come in and covertly watch what people are doing. May get away with more stuff outside of the big areas, I guess.
Ironically, that TM put themselves out of a job when we transitioned to the official processes.

seasonaldude

Waiting for your kid to get out of my way in toys
There's been stuff left over after nearly every truck.
This is the bane of my existence when I'm scheduled to close. I have to spend too much of my time pushing freight out so that all the vehicles are available for the next truck. Pushing frieght at night sucks. The store is at a completely different rhythm. There aren't a lot of TMs. Tonight it was just me in all of hardlines for the 6 hours before close. So calls are constant for fast service, electronics backup, guest first, etc. And, the truck team always leaves the worst possible shit for last, so that's what I end up having to push: fucking domestics and home furnishings.

Just give the truck team hours to do their thing completely so that I have time to fix the issues they cause in my section. We had a huddle tonight and were told that the store's primary emphasis for the new fiscal year is going to be flex pick time and INF%. We have to keep those in the green or heads are going to roll. Cool. I get that. I'm on board with that. I pick up flex shifts when I can and back them up when they get slammed. Now, how about I go back to my work center and get to fixing the issues that cause missed goal times and INFs? No, there are flats of home furnishings that need to be pushed out so the vehicles are available for the next truck to load up with more home furnishings that also won't be pushed out by the truck team? Oh. Ok then. I'll get right on that after I cover the electronics' TM's meal, take my meal, and then slow walk to the back to get the flat while thinking of all the ways to show you I love you, love you, love you like I do for this stupidity.

busyzoningtoys

Reshop Team Lead
This is the bane of my existence when I'm scheduled to close. I have to spend too much of my time pushing freight out so that all the vehicles are available for the next truck. Pushing frieght at night sucks. The store is at a completely different rhythm. There aren't a lot of TMs. Tonight it was just me in all of hardlines for the 6 hours before close. So calls are constant for fast service, electronics backup, guest first, etc. And, the truck team always leaves the worst possible shit for last, so that's what I end up having to push: fucking domestics and home furnishings.

Just give the truck team hours to do their thing completely so that I have time to fix the issues they cause in my section. We had a huddle tonight and were told that the store's primary emphasis for the new fiscal year is going to be flex pick time and INF%. We have to keep those in the green or heads are going to roll. Cool. I get that. I'm on board with that. I pick up flex shifts when I can and back them up when they get slammed. Now, how about I go back to my work center and get to fixing the issues that cause missed goal times and INFs? No, there are flats of home furnishings that need to be pushed out so the vehicles are available for the next truck to load up with more home furnishings that also won't be pushed out by the truck team? Oh. Ok then. I'll get right on that after I cover the electronics' TM's meal, take my meal, and then slow walk to the back to get the flat while thinking of all the ways to show you I love you, love you, love you like I do for this stupidity.
Our truck team moves any unfinished push to flatbeds that are staged in receiving so the line can be set with all the u boats. Closers don’t push, their job is to help guests, deliver clean zones, finish the reshop, and help back up. If truck team rolls stuff over, they deal with it the next day, and have us breathing down their necks to get yesterday’s and today’s done. Needless to say, with the same people pushing the same areas almost daily, rollover is minimal. Ownership and accountability are what made this process succeed for me. When the team’s incentive is the work getting easier as a result of working accurately and comprehensively, they bust their asses AND don’t get burnt out. It’s like I have a squad of mini team leads. We leave them alone, they do what they know they need to do. They like the independence.

Not sure how the rest of you are doing this, but rather than putting our flow team on the floor during business hours, we took away the payroll and have our sales floor team members doing truck. They aren’t pathologically adverse to backstock or guests, and understand the consequences of flexing incorrectly and not zoning as they go. After they backstock, they audit. Flow teams hours got cut significantly, the ones that stayed/get hours do the sorting

Last edited:
That's how it's been working at my store. Nothing would get set otherwise. Plano can be complicated. Some of our team members can barely work freight and backstock correctly, let alone set pogs. If they had to learn plano, I'm sure they would quit.

That's how it's been working at my store. Nothing would get set otherwise. Plano can be complicated. Some of our team members can barely work freight and backstock correctly, let alone set pogs. If they had to learn plano, I'm sure they would quit.
I've been amazed reading about all the stores that seem to have functional teams that are trying their best.
More than half of my team were forced on me from seasonal shipping and given no training hours outside of that whatsoever, and I could probably name two team members that even make a partial effort, or care when they're "coached" for putting all of the freight in random places and putting the backstock in back without scanning it in, so they have more time to sit in the Fitting Room stalls and chat, or take six breaks in a four hour shift.
Having to do price changes, let alone plano, is terrifying.