MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Currently a Sr. Team Leader at a small format store (Target express). Here are a few things that are going down on the express side:
  • sort & stock has always been a thing with express stores, so it’s not new to us
  • we are still keeping our keys. (There’s days where you’re in the building with no other leader).
  • when the store director is working all “LOD” responsibilities fall on her. However we don’t use the word LOD anymore
  • we have a closing lead who works Monday - Friday and has weekends off
  • rest of team leaders still have closing/opening/mid weekend rotation
  • you work one mid shift during the week. (I.E. let’s say your closing night was on a Wednesday, it turns into your mid shift, usually 11-7. To cover closing leads lunch)
  • official tittle is Target Express Team Leader but every lead owns an area as an ETL or Leader would. ( I’m The Specialty sales lead)
Any questions about small formats/ target express’ id be more than willing to answer :)
We’re you all seniors before the new op model?
How many?
You do sort and stock as a small format??? How big is your back room?
Do you know your average daily sales?

I work in a small format as a senior as well. We don’t have sort and stock, all of freight comes sorted for to not having a line to unload a truck. We have 9 seniors and two TLs (Starbucks and AP) and do roughly 60k weekdays and 100k weekends. My stl still has no communication as to how the Op model with effect us different as a small format. Interesting to hear you have a closing lead

Stores that are completely modernized - how do you incorporate/ divide weekly pricing workload? Who does it? Leads? p1 pushers? Is the same person scheduled each week the day the workload is due. How is backroom pricing handled? Does each department pull, price and push their own? Appreciate all feedback of how different stores are doing it. Thanks 😊
Any insight to pricing aspect would be much appreciated. Pricing/plano in process of being dissolved. Get that each department responsible for end caps and revisions. How is pricing working especially when certain depts are located throughout the store?
Also how are big resets handled? Is everyone from other areas pulled to accomplish?

The new section ownership has made all of our stocking problems so much worse. Our floor counts were bad before. There was always lots of overstock because TMs didn't want to backstock individual items and understock because they didn't want to open casepacks for one item. Now, though? Holeee shit, Bullseye. Zoning and auditing last night was a trip. The other hardlines closer and I walkied each other whenever we found an actual accurate count. Didn't happen very often.

I moved primarily to flex to have a safe harbor from the new ops model. Now, visions of a soon to be skyrocketing INF percentage are dancing through my head.

I like the idea of TMs taking ownership of individual sections. It's a good idea in theory. They need the time, training and accountability to do it right though. When they are being judged mainly on how fast they complete Uboats things go to shit quickly. Make it stop.

Any insight to pricing aspect would be much appreciated. Pricing/plano in process of being dissolved. Get that each department responsible for end caps and revisions. How is pricing working especially when certain depts are located throughout the store?
Also how are big resets handled? Is everyone from other areas pulled to accomplish?
[/QUOTE
"How are big resets handled." We still have some baby furniture display boxes in the back. I admit that they could've been duplicated boxes but I'm cynical. Cosmetics has stuff all over the place. Stuff just taking up room. Is it needed on the salesfloor or to thrown away?

I like the idea of TMs taking ownership of individual sections. It's a good idea in theory. They need the time, training and accountability to do it right though. When they are being judged mainly on how fast they complete Uboats things go to shit quickly. Make it stop.

That's pretty much how it is now at my store. Thankfully I don't think I'll be part of this ownership thing--I don't think it would exactly work when the standard schedule is 3 days a week, and 4 if I'm lucky!

Right now I'm barely ekeing out two days a week...

Last edited:
Anyone else feel like they should level up each time they make it out the backroom alive or is it just me?

I was just trying to print some signs. I blame this on modernization.

Damn! I'd be throwing the biggest shit fit if I walked into my fixture room looking like that. I wouldn't blame that on modernization though, lots of fixture rooms have looked like that for years if no one keeps it reigned in.

Anyone else feel like they should level up each time they make it out the backroom alive or is it just me?

I was just trying to print some signs. I blame this on modernization.

Your fixture room looks exactly the same as mine (only clear of stuff when I last saw it). Is your store currently under remodel?

We’re you all seniors before the new op model?
How many?
You do sort and stock as a small format??? How big is your back room?
Do you know your average daily sales?

I work in a small format as a senior as well. We don’t have sort and stock, all of freight comes sorted for to not having a line to unload a truck. We have 9 seniors and two TLs (Starbucks and AP) and do roughly 60k weekdays and 100k weekends. My stl still has no communication as to how the Op model with effect us different as a small format. Interesting to hear you have a closing lead

I was a senior before i came to the express store as were many of my peers.

Currently have 6 seniors. 1 Starbucks TL & 1 AP TL.

Our store volume is A LOT smaller. We roughly do around 30k during the week and 60-70k on weekends.

Before our building became a Target Express it was a grocery store so we have a receiving area, a freight elevator that goes down to the stockroom (the basement) and then our coolers and freezers are located near receiving along with a small section for bulk. We do have an area we call the “dock” it’s were the trucks back up and unload the pallets. We have around 12 U-boats & some Z -racks. Although the freight comes pre-sorted we still bust down the pallets and “super” sort them onto u-boats by custom block. We have a small A&A floorpad as well so we have an area where we process re-packs along with hanging.

I was a senior before i came to the express store as were many of my peers.

Currently have 6 seniors. 1 Starbucks TL & 1 AP TL.

Our store volume is A LOT smaller. We roughly do around 30k during the week and 60-70k on weekends.

Before our building became a Target Express it was a grocery store so we have a receiving area, a freight elevator that goes down to the stockroom (the basement) and then our coolers and freezers are located near receiving along with a small section for bulk. We do have an area we call the “dock” it’s were the trucks back up and unload the pallets. We have around 12 U-boats & some Z -racks. Although the freight comes pre-sorted we still bust down the pallets and “super” sort them onto u-boats by custom block. We have a small A&A floorpad as well so we have an area where we process re-packs along with hanging.
Interesting! We have the dock/receiving area but all our pallets come sorted per custom block on small half plastic pallets that are made to take onto the sales floor. Seems redundant to sort the pallets onto uboats before pushing. We have uboats but typiclaly they’re used for pulls. I’d share some pictures but small formats are so unique it would give me away! We need to be better about our A&A, it’s not terrible when all the repacks fit on the flow center Z racks but the days they send us pallets of softlines we just send it to the floor and they push it in a couple hours

Damn! I'd be throwing the biggest shit fit if I walked into my fixture room looking like that. I wouldn't blame that on modernization though, lots of fixture rooms have looked like that for years if no one keeps it reigned in.
Well, we don't have a signing team member or anyone over the fixture room and the rest of the backroom looks exactly the same way, I just couldn't snap a shot without dying.

Well, we don't have a signing team member or anyone over the fixture room and the rest of the backroom looks exactly the same way, I just couldn't snap a shot without dying.
who does all your signing then? if my store lost me idk how they would survive. Also, I try to reside over my fixture room, but when softlines throws whatever they want in there after I leave and I am scheduled only 10 hrs a week, the result is a fixture room worse than what you showed.

who does all your signing then? if my store lost me idk how they would survive. Also, I try to reside over my fixture room, but when softlines throws whatever they want in there after I leave and I am scheduled only 10 hrs a week, the result is a fixture room worse than what you showed.
I couldn't tell you. The signing person left while I was on LOA in December. I guess whoever is around at the time. I saw the Flow TL hanging the overheard signing for Valentine's.

Also I had to climb over stuff to get to the actual fixture room doors 😂

Speaking of fixture rooms did anyone else move ALL their apparel fixturss to an idioticlly small area on the opposite side of the backroom? We now have CONSTANT blockage to the electrical room and backroom bathrooms because of all the shelves bars and everything else that is apparel fixtures. Its horrid and dangerous as all hell.

Ok, I do have a question:
What is the ETL's actual role in this new model?
I get that we moved LOD duties to TLs, and it made sense for a while to have the area leaders take their own calls and such, but now when there's only like 1 TL in the building at a time, sometimes 2, we're taking calls for the "manager" in areas that we really don't know anything about. Like, I'm not only taking call ins for Market, but blustering my way through questions from vendors and stuff, even when the ETL over Market is in the building.
Our ETLs flat out refuse to take calls that aren't for them personally, to the extent that my staff has been yelled at and belittled trying to pass calls off to them.
The same goes for assisting TMs or workareas that aren't their own, even when there's no TLs in the building.
I witnessed it first hand over the weekend, when I was the only TL, but we had five ETLs at one point; I attempted to get assistance with something on the front lanes I didn't know how to fix, and was told off right in front of the guest I was working with. I've probably overseen the lanes on my own a half dozen times, and that with no training.
Ever since this rolled out, I've rarely seen the ETLs on the salesfloor, but I've been criticized a hell of a lot more while trying to juggled a lot more responsibilities, a lot of which I'm learning as I go.

I don’t know what the ETLs official role is in the new model, ASANTS, and apologies to these ETLs who bust their butts and aren’t like this, but strictly from observation in some places it goes pretty much like this:

Start your shift when you feel like it. You are salaried so you don’t have to arrive on time and punch in like the peons, oh excuse me, the TMs/TLs. If one of your peers is waiting for you to arrive so they can go home, too bad, that’s their problem. Let Snowflake wait. So what if you don’t stay 8 hours? Rank has its privileges.

Go in your office for twenty minutes and do who knows what before emerging from your cocoon ready to start your day. Check your equipment. Have your keys? They won’t unlock the Executive Restroom because we don’t have one, but you can always dream, and the guests view keys as a badge of authority. Have a zebra so you can check your workcenters progress but won’t bother to since it’s so much easier to call out to your team on the walkie all day and interrupt their progress? Have a walkie with a fresh battery so you can give direction to your team over the airways and call them every ten minutes to check where everyone is, what they are doing, when they will be finished, and chew them out so everyone will know that your team consists entirely of incompetent fools but you are on top of it? Don’t forget to take a spare battery. You’ll need it. Have your cellphone in your hand so you can continue taking personal calls all day. Nothing inspires your team to work hard like seeing their boss spending the day taking personal calls. Make sure you have your Starbucks cup in your other hand. That’s your badge of office.

Go out and supervise your team. Whatever anyone is doing, change their assignments immediately to show that you are the boss. Chew them out for being too slow, whether they are or not. It will make them work faster. Don’t forget to chew out the TLs. They must have done something wrong before you got there to micromanage their day and then you can tell your boss that you coached your TLs again so you look like you are in total control and they look like fools.

Break Time! Oh, sorry, I mean store meeting at Starbucks as soon as the doors open. So what if the guests have no where to sit for at least a half hour. Store meetings are important. When else would the ETLs have time to gossip? Except all day, of course.

Continue gossiping on your way back to the store offices. Take a rest in your office. You worked hard this morning, you deserve it. When you’ve rested up from your morning ordeal, go out and supervise your team. Observe them for things you can coach them for, then coach them. Add a few random hours to the schedule but don’t tell anyone, especially not the TMs you added. That would ruin the fun when they don’t show up and everyone wonders if they were nc/ns. If you need extra help on Tuesday, call a TM who was scheduled for Thursday to come in and give him Thursday off instead. Don’t change the schedule in the system and don’t tell the TLs, let them find out when they are short handed on Thursday and wondering why the TM is a nc/ns. Same thing when you cut hours. Why bother to tell the TLs that you cut 16 hours out of Saturday‘s coverage? You’re off this weekend, and they’ll manage. If they can’t finish the workload, you can always CCA them on Monday.

At noon all ETLs are to either gather near the offices or get on the walkies and decide what take out to have for lunch and who’s going to get it. This discussion should take at least 15 minutes. Gather in HR office to talk until the food arrives, then spend an hour eating and talking in the training room. Leave a Senior TL in charge of the store, since they aren’t invited to the party anyway. Heaven help anyone who interrupts the festivities unless there is a true emergency, like an unscheduled DTL visit. Other than that, the store is on its own.

After lunch go out to sales floor and walk around looking important. Always go in pairs to ward off questions from guests. Excoriate your team for any transgressions, real or imagined. If they are falling behind coach then for being too slow, but never help them, that is beneath your dignity. If they finished their tasks early don’t thank them for a job well done, but do make a mental note to double their workload in the future. Chew out your TLs again, regardless of their performance. They must have done something to deserve it, it will make them respect you and inspire them to greatness.🙄

Take your last break, then hang around the offices and chat with the other ETLs, criticizing whatever ETL is not there or your other favorite scapegoats, the TLs. Don’t forget to discuss your new Rolls Royce or world cruise in front of TMs who are worried about putting food on the table for their kids. If the STL is off, go home early. If you have to wait to be relieved by another ETL, spend your last hour walking between your office and the store office, checking your watch, looking at the office clock and asking everyone you meet if ETL so-and-so has shown up yet, muttering under your breath about what a lazy, irresponsible jerk he is for making you wait. When your relief finally arrives, leave without telling your team, because, you know, they won’t work as hard if they know you’re not there, while failing to realize that your team knows that you aren’t there anytime they go 15 minutes without hearing you on the walkie.

Go home and rest up from your hard day at work secure in the knowledge that the store would go under if not for you.

Last edited:
That sounds like exactly what we've got going on, except instead of actually interacting with me, I get coached via emails that are just this side of inappropriate. Usually for something that happened three weeks ago, so I assume someone asked them about it, and they then were made aware there was a "problem."
It didn't used to be like this. There was a complete shift once the ETL=LOD thing went away. There's zero accountability any more now that they aren't expected to be global.

The main thing I'm angry about is that TLs are getting shifted to mid shifts as mandatory, but the ETLs who are supposed to be doing the same so far are just going home whenever they feel like it.
This better change if they expect me to work until 8pm.

Last edited:
TLs getting shredded by ETLs in the presence of other TMs; ETL snitches taking pictures of incomplete zones/tasks & sending them to the STL; TMs being timed by ETLs to see how fast they empty a u-boat/waco; TLs warning their teams that THEY (TLs) will be written up if they don't write TMs up; excessive call-outs every weekend without fail; TMs crying in the breakroom because they couldn't finish (an exorbitant amount of) push & KNOW they will get written up.
This is a daily thing at my store.

I've witnessed more than a few TM/TLs crying on stage or on break lately, and it's without fail some of the only employees who are actually making an effort, and ones who depend on the income or the benefits. Even the 10% discount is a big deal for some families.
This job's always been a bit more stressful than I felt it should be for the pay, but I just cannot believe how much has changed in such a short period of time, and I struggle not to take the stress and what I've witnessed home with me now.

TLs getting shredded by ETLs in the presence of other TMs; ETL snitches taking pictures of incomplete zones/tasks & sending them to the STL; TMs being timed by ETLs to see how fast they empty a u-boat/waco; TLs warning their teams that THEY (TLs) will be written up if they don't write TMs up; excessive call-outs every weekend without fail; TMs crying in the breakroom because they couldn't finish (an exorbitant amount of) push & KNOW they will get written up.
This is a daily thing at my store.
Good lord you hit it on the head for me at my store. Some of the pettiest s.o.b.s for ETLs

I don’t know what the ETLs official role is in the new model, ASANTS, and apologies to these ETLs who bust their butts and aren’t like this, but strictly from observation in some places it goes pretty much like this:

Start your shift when you feel like it. You are salaried so you don’t have to arrive on time and punch in like the peons, oh excuse me, the TMs/TLs. If one of your peers is waiting for you to arrive so they can go home, too bad, that’s their problem. Let Snowflake wait. So what if you don’t stay 8 hours? Rank has its privileges.

Go in your office for twenty minutes and do who knows what before emerging from your cocoon ready to start your day. Check your equipment. Have your keys? They won’t unlock the Executive Restroom because we don’t have one, but you can always dream, and the guests view keys as a badge of authority. Have a zebra so you can check your workcenters progress but won’t bother to since it’s so much easier to call out to your team on the walkie all day and interrupt their progress? Have a walkie with a fresh battery so you can give direction to your team over the airways and call them every ten minutes to check where everyone is, what they are doing, when they will be finished, and chew them out so everyone will know that your team consists entirely of incompetent fools but you are on top of it? Don’t forget to take a spare battery. You’ll need it. Have your cellphone in your hand so you can continue taking personal calls all day. Nothing inspires your team to work hard like seeing their boss spending the day taking personal calls. Make sure you have your Starbucks cup in your other hand. That’s your badge of office.

Go out and supervise your team. Whatever anyone is doing, change their assignments immediately to show that you are the boss. Chew them out for being too slow, whether they are or not. It will make them work faster. Don’t forget to chew out the TLs. They must have done something wrong before you got there to micromanage their day and then you can tell your boss that you coached your TLs again so you look like you are in total control and they look like fools.

Break Time! Oh, sorry, I mean store meeting at Starbucks as soon as the doors open. So what if the guests have no where to sit for at least a half hour. Store meetings are important. When else would the ETLs have time to gossip? Except all day, of course.

Continue gossiping on your way back to the store offices. Take a rest in your office. You worked hard this morning, you deserve it. When you’ve rested up from your morning ordeal, go out and supervise your team. Observe them for things you can coach them for, then coach them. Add a few random hours to the schedule but don’t tell anyone, especially not the TMs you added. That would ruin the fun when they don’t show up and everyone wonders if they were nc/ns. If you need extra help on Tuesday, call a TM who was scheduled for Thursday to come in and give him Thursday off instead. Don’t change the schedule in the system and don’t tell the TLs, let them find out when they are short handed on Thursday and wondering why the TM is a nc/ns. Same thing when you cut hours. Why bother to tell the TLs that you cut 16 hours out of Saturday‘s coverage? You’re off this weekend, and they’ll manage. If they can’t finish the workload, you can always CCA them on Monday.

At noon all ETLs are to either gather near the offices or get on the walkies and decide what take out to have for lunch and who’s going to get it. This discussion should take at least 15 minutes. Gather in HR office to talk until the food arrives, then spend an hour eating and talking in the training room. Leave a Senior TL in charge of the store, since they aren’t invited to the party anyway. Heaven help anyone who interrupts the festivities unless there is a true emergency, like an unscheduled DTL visit. Other than that, the store is on its own.

After lunch go out to sales floor and walk around looking important. Always go in pairs to ward off questions from guests. Excoriate your team for any transgressions, real or imagined. If they are falling behind coach then for being too slow, but never help them, that is beneath your dignity. If they finished their tasks early don’t thank them for a job well done, but do make a mental note to double their workload in the future. Chew out your TLs again, regardless of their performance. They must have done something to deserve it, it will make them respect you and inspire them to greatness.🙄

Take your last break, then hang around the offices and chat with the other ETLs, criticizing whatever ETL is not there or your other favorite scapegoats, the TLs. Don’t forget to discuss your new Rolls Royce or world cruise in front of TMs who are worried about putting food on the table for their kids. If the STL is off, go home early. If you have to wait to be relieved by another ETL, spend your last hour walking between your office and the store office, checking your watch, looking at the office clock and asking everyone you meet if ETL so-and-so has shown up yet, muttering under your breath about what a lazy, irresponsible jerk he is for making you wait. When your relief finally arrives, leave without telling your team, because, you know, they won’t work as hard if they know you’re not there, while failing to realize that your team knows that you aren’t there anytime they go 15 minutes without hearing you on the walkie.

Go home and rest up from your hard day at work secure in the knowledge that the store would go under if not for you.
Asants as at my store there is mandatory pre lunch huddle in receiving to discuss when the actual order discussion will take place, they must travel in pairs to pick up lunch( (safety first), and of course the after lunch meeting recap to decide where they will go tomorrow 🤣

My problem with a lot of these "unrealistic expectations" wouldn't be unrealistic half the time if some TM's actually worked. There's a massive portion of TM's that do not stay focused or on task during their shift and I see it in every store I go to when there's truck still on the floor. Most of the time these "unrealistic" expectations are unrealistic because TM's are too busy wandering around doing things that are not what they should be doing.

Back