MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can anyone who is in full modernization mode tell me who owns fill/audits/salesplanners for checklane end caps, gum, candy, etc? For our store, it has changed so many times in the last year, it's ridiculous. It's gone from GSTLs/GSAs, to Instocks/POG, back to GSTLs/GSAs, to Hardlines & Consumables, back to POG, and now back to GSTLs/GSAs.

So, if I'm opening GSTL, I'm scanning end caps every morning, dropping EXFs, stepping off the lanes to pull those batches, and pushing them.
If I'm closing, I'm doing the same thing for gum/candy/pegged items on a certain group of checklanes each night.

Are there going to be dedicated GM people for the lanes, too?
The GSTLs do it.

Can anyone who is in full modernization mode tell me who owns fill/audits/salesplanners for checklane end caps, gum, candy, etc? For our store, it has changed so many times in the last year, it's ridiculous. It's gone from GSTLs/GSAs, to Instocks/POG, back to GSTLs/GSAs, to Hardlines & Consumables, back to POG, and now back to GSTLs/GSAs.

So, if I'm opening GSTL, I'm scanning end caps every morning, dropping EXFs, stepping off the lanes to pull those batches, and pushing them.
If I'm closing, I'm doing the same thing for gum/candy/pegged items on a certain group of checklanes each night.

"Officially the DBO for Bullseye is suppose to own all aspects of the front end Pogs/spl etc....Our gstls still set SPLs and our bullseye person is split with stationary. So as you can imagine, their shift is spent more in stationary than the front end.

Technically no but it differs store to store. The GSTLs job description specifically states not to assist with setting and filling. It then goes on to say, “this included bullseye, gum, candy, and endcaps.”
OK, so legit question. No sarcasm font, and if I sound sarcastic I apologize; I'm worn out from a close and not wording as well as I would normally. If you're a GSA/SEA scheduled alone with a typical 8-hour shift and there's no GSTL, does this apply, too? Or are you expected to run around and do all the things while stocking bags, etc., too? (Tonight I did SCO, OPU picks, drive-ups, covered GS, etc., all while trying to run the front with one cashier, one SCO, one GS, and one OPU, who was only there until 8.) I constantly feel like I'm not getting enough done even though I all but run flat-out for my entire shift. With one cashier, one SCO, and one GS, there's no one to delegate to if there are guests in the store. It feels like being set up for failure.

OK, so legit question. No sarcasm font, and if I sound sarcastic I apologize; I'm worn out from a close and not wording as well as I would normally. If you're a GSA/SEA scheduled alone with a typical 8-hour shift and there's no GSTL, does this apply, too? Or are you expected to run around and do all the things while stocking bags, etc., too? (Tonight I did SCO, OPU picks, drive-ups, covered GS, etc., all while trying to run the front with one cashier, one SCO, one GS, and one OPU, who was only there until 8.) I constantly feel like I'm not getting enough done even though I all but run flat-out for my entire shift. With one cashier, one SCO, and one GS, there's no one to delegate to if there are guests in the store. It feels like being set up for failure.
Again depends on your stores culture but when I was gstl it was at a high volume store so doing all those things alone would be impossible. Bare minimum I would always have myself, GSTM, SCO and a cashier from open to close.

we get a GM person who is solely responsible for Bullseye/CL. when he's not there, the Drive Up person will support the business in that area

1.00 ! Damn. That’s a lot of risk of losing job for an error. I hope it won’t be mandatory cause I don’t want the 32-40 bucks/week for that much responsibility.
I don't know if this will change, but during the pilot it was Store Director discretion. At least one TL said no, and was glad they did when no one got the dollar. (That bit was probably an ASANTS move.)

When I was GSTL, granted years ago, I owned all checklane endcaps, promo cartwrll 1 (X9 now) and most of the time Bullsye Playground. It’s doable with the right planning and time management. Granted I had much help from a superstar cart attendant that would complete the : away from the lanes tasks and awesome cashiers that would wrestle to be the ones to help fill.
I believe it boils down to:
  1. planning well
  2. utilizing excellent time management
  3. Delivering proper leadership
  4. of good team members.
Even one of those missing and it becomes difficult.

Our current GSTL strives to do the same with the FOS Amplified Gifting fixtures also !

As for seasonal sets, or any big sets in general, the presentation workload is the same, and the payroll allocated for it is still the same, it is just used by the respective salesfloor team. Obviously you won’t have a stationary team big enough to do 120 hours of pogs on top of 50 hours of truck; there’s plenty of other TMs from other areas who would love the hours and since everyone knows how to do everything, it works out quite well.
[/QUOTE]

Except there aren't plenty of other TMs and the TMs we do have can barely work freight and backstock efficiently/correctly. Their attitude is "I don't care". We start to expect them to do more than unload and process freight, guaranteed most will quit. Even at $15/hour. Hire better people? Can't when all that apply are shitty.

You know what I just realized...I think we'll be surprised by the number of noobs who won't show up to work and pretend to care even for $15 an hour. It would be the irony of ironies if I end up getting a solid 40 every week even at 15 because they keep hiring like they always have (almost anything with a pulse) and can't get anyone else to stick around long enough to get their first check. Rise and grind bakers, let's raise this dough!

I like how they assume things will be properly sorted from the truck. When the line is backed up and you get yelled at to keep it moving, shit WILL get put up wrong. Uboats meant for a small section of C will get stuff from D that looks like it MIGHT go in C...etc. I've never been put on the line, but I've seen the results.

I just wish they were willing to give people hours to accomplish all of this. No one is getting any--and from what I overhear, we need to cut more. Yet we're hiring.

I haven't heard hide or hair of any training either--lots of people here have not been trained in backroom stuff, or pricing, or pog or whatever. Maybe that's what all the new people will be for.

You know what I just realized...I think we'll be surprised by the number of noobs who won't show up to work and pretend to care even for $15 an hour. It would be the irony of ironies if I end up getting a solid 40 every week even at 15 because they keep hiring like they always have (almost anything with a pulse) and can't get anyone else to stick around long enough to get their first check. Rise and grind bakers, let's raise this dough!
It’s a numbers game. You have to have x amount of employees to fill in the blank.

Stores who hit 30+ million last year will now have 4 ETLs. The old threshold was something like 45 I guess but with the new op model every store above 30M should have atleast 4 etls

“We’ve seen some stores win”. Wow! How impressive! What overwhelming evidence of success! Just for the edification of the non kool-aid drinkers, Corporate, how many is “some”? The number of stores that they saw “winning” would be nice for comparison, and if it wasn’t minuscule to embarrassingly small they would be bragging about it and shouting it to the rooftops. Damned by faint praise, indeed.

I keep getting talked to when I don't tug the Uboat down the aisle with me. It's rather hard to do that when you have boxes that go here, there, and everywhere--this claim of efficient sorting is a complete lie in my store. I've talked about it elsewhere but nothing is getting sorted the way they want it to.

And if I happen to get a box that belongs in, say, A, while most of my items are in D, there's no way in hell I'm lugging that Uboat all the way to A. That only draws attention from all the guests I pass. It's not that I mind helping guests, it is that my managers/TLs/etc all want me to get my Uboat pushed quickly, and actively avoiding guests that are NOT in my "assigned" section is the only way to even halfway manage it.

You might ask, why not give the box to whoever is working in A?

That doesn't fly. TMs there almost never want to take such a box--if your hands are on it, you'll do it. Ask them and they get snappy. T'he one or two people who don't mind being given stuff are there so rarely now I just don't even bother looking for someone to ask.

Back