MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I keep getting talked to when I don't tug the Uboat down the aisle with me. It's rather hard to do that when you have boxes that go here, there, and everywhere--this claim of efficient sorting is a complete lie in my store. I've talked about it elsewhere but nothing is getting sorted the way they want it to.

And if I happen to get a box that belongs in, say, A, while most of my items are in D, there's no way in hell I'm lugging that Uboat all the way to A. That only draws attention from all the guests I pass. It's not that I mind helping guests, it is that my managers/TLs/etc all want me to get my Uboat pushed quickly, and actively avoiding guests that are NOT in my "assigned" section is the only way to even halfway manage it.

You might ask, why not give the box to whoever is working in A?

That doesn't fly. TMs there almost never want to take such a box--if your hands are on it, you'll do it. Ask them and they get snappy. T'he one or two people who don't mind being given stuff are there so rarely now I just don't even bother looking for someone to ask.
THIS^
Pretty much this is the same at the store I am at. ASANTS! So why can't corporate get that through their heads. It works for some stores and definitely not for others. I can't believe that they expect everyone to be trained to do everything.
The TM's pushing the UBoats are not always the same team members each truck so again, while this looks good on paper, it's definitely not reality. System is not perfect so why does corporate think this will work in the long run?

THIS^
Pretty much this is the same at the store I am at. ASANTS! So why can't corporate get that through their heads. It works for some stores and definitely not for others. I can't believe that they expect everyone to be trained to do everything.
The TM's pushing the UBoats are not always the same team members each truck so again, while this looks good on paper, it's definitely not reality. System is not perfect so why does corporate think this will work in the long run?
It won’t it’s all a delay game to maximize their golden parachutes and fuck anyone below them

I don't do the sorting myself, as I've said, this is merely what I observe.

I guess you're right--but it's not what happens. They sort things, sure, but when one uboat piles up too high, shit that's supposed to go on it will naturally go elsewhere. We also tend not to have enough people on the line when the unload is going on.

"Keep it moving" and "what's the holdup" get thrown around a lot

Today was stressful. I did my truck push and then with 45 minutes left of my shift I was asked to set a new endcap. I got it done and everything but still I feel so much is being asked of 1 person...

How does that work when the TMs on the line have their own areas to work? If the unload takes 4 hours, that's 4 hours less they have to do just as much work as those given the full 8 hours.

Our unloads do not currently take 4 hours, but I can't speak for other stores.

Since hardly anyone is getting decent hours, what happens is the LOD decides who's doing what section that day. Carries around a piece of paper with names all marked and whatnot. Everyone gets assigned certain areas, but since we are bound to leave by our scheduled time (5.5 hours), things are left behind. No one gets in trouble ))(except maybe the LOD/Flow TL) because this has become a daily occurrence, no matter how "efficiently" the crew is running.

How does that work when the TMs on the line have their own areas to work? If the unload takes 4 hours, that's 4 hours less they have to do just as much work as those given the full 8 hours.

.. assuming they get those hours to begin with, which they're currently not.
Pretty much. No vehicles allowed on the floor and no room to store them anyway, so where do those full vehicles get put while the TM responsible for pushing them is already working on a vehicle? And that's without mentioning that there aren't enough U-boats to actually replace those that get full, so freight is either going on a pallet (not enough room), a flat (not allowed on the floor), a tub (also not allowed on the floor), or the floor itself. Or, you know, the vehicle next to it since it's just a few aisles down anyway.

The unload could stop, and the TMs on the line could push their stuff for a bit.. but if we did that, the truck would never get finished and we'd be rolling much of it into the next day (not that we aren't already..) because we don't have the manpower or hours to make that happen.

Target makes big talk about culture, yet the culture they're driving is one centered around TMs getting 2-3 days a week, and never enough hours to do what they're asked to do. Oh, sure, they're going to be quick to embrace that.

At my store we still have a unload team and they own receiving for the most part and uf they finish everything back there then they just help other teams until they go home

Then what are they do to? TMs must know sales and sales goals. TMs must know ads. TMs must know the freight for the day. TMs must know how to pull, push, backstock, audit, sign, price change, etc.. The guide for the new process mentions that the seemingly singular duty of TLs is to walk around and supervise TMs.

So between a TM, who still has their entire workload to complete, and a TL, who is simply there to manage, who better to train a new TM? The one without time or the one standing around, making sure everyone is doing their job?

TM's want to be paid like TL's they're going to be expected to work like ... a good TL. I know there's ass TL's out there you dont' have to point that out to me.

while Inbound is meant to push PP2 after truck unload.

Ah, so that's why my start time is getting pushing up 2 hours two weeks from now.

And just how many vehicles do they have?

Not enough. We have some uboats, but we have to push while the unload is going on, or we'd never have room on all the uboats for stuff.

How much room do they have in their stores?

Not enough. OSHA would cry or wet themselves over the state of our backroom.

ok but you're not supposed to be getting yelled at to "keep it moving", HQ WANTS the unload to take longer so that you can take your time sorting. you're not supposed to just throw shit onto uboats

That's all well and good until HQ gets pissy about INF% going up because something that was ordered online is still sitting loaded on the truck. It's bad enough when we get orders for items that just came off the truck, but haven't been pushed yet. Still on the truck? Nah, INF that shit.

“We’ve seen some stores win”. Wow! How impressive! What overwhelming evidence of success! Just for the edification of the non kool-aid drinkers, Corporate, how many is “some”? The number of stores that they saw “winning” would be nice for comparison, and if it wasn’t minuscule to embarrassingly small they would be bragging about it and shouting it to the rooftops. Damned by faint praise, indeed.
Pretty sure all but 1 store in my district is on the "red store" list... and its all a result of modernization.

So heres how my store is laid out and works....
  1. Our volume is 50+million and we take 6-7 trucks per week.
1 Inbound/P1 TL- Me
  1. 2 HBA DBo
  2. 1 Pets/Chemicals
  3. 1 Plastics/Furn
  4. 1 Baby TM
3 P2 Leaders(Each TL has 1-2 Tms assisgned to there work center
  1. Electronics/Beauty/Toys
  2. Domestics/Home/Seasonal
  3. Stationary/Small Appliances/Housewares/Bullseye
2 Food (1 Dry/ 1 Frozen/Produce)

2 Style

2 GSTLs

We use 7 people for sort (1 thrower/5 sorters/1 runner). 2 of my sorters are only scheduled 4 hours and after unload they help push areas that will need help. All others go to designated P2 areas

That's all well and good until HQ gets pissy about INF% going up because something that was ordered online is still sitting loaded on the truck. It's bad enough when we get orders for items that just came off the truck, but haven't been pushed yet. Still on the truck? Nah, INF that shit.
We get 7-10 trucks a week. Let’s say average is a 2000. Unload and sort is done in 2 hours.

We get 7-10 trucks a week. Let’s say average is a 2000. Unload and sort is done in 2 hours.

Hey @busyzoningtoys ive been following your replies and I was wondering if you care to elaborate more on how your store on a whole took on modernization? Is your store fully modernized? If not what areas are?

I’m personally overall curious as to how the store runs without a dedicated backroom team.

I’ve gotten my team right now that do their own pulls from their morning audits (atm i got beauty electronics and toys on top of it) help out with the push if any left over from truck. I’m all Game for the owning our areas thing and I think it’s working well and I’ve been training and developing my team but when this all rolls out by April I’m just curious how it goes without backroom, with the morning truck? Seems everyone is just listed on genera merchandise in the new model but I’m assuming they may keep the same guys that usually comes in the morning to do truck?

A longer truck unload process really screws over us receivers. Currently at my store they can get the truck unloaded completely by 8am on average. There are times when it goes longer but that is usually when there aren't enough people scheduled. I can take in my smaller vendors right at 6 because there is a way to get around the line. And I can get my pop vendors through because it is a straight shot from the bay door to their holding area (unless of course flow puts pallets on the dock plate and I can't move them)

But I absolutely cannot get my milk delivery in until the truck is unloaded and the line is moved. They will not break the line for anyone to get through other than our grocery delivery (only because it is written in the contract). And then I get my vendors in that has pallets of product that doesn't have a official holding area, or needs to wait until their merchandiser comes in (Nabisco, Sparkling Ice, etc) And the random deliveries of fixtures, signing, etc that come in at any point during the day. So I count on the truck being unloaded and the line moved ASAP so I can get my people through.

If my store goes to how the process is technically supposed to be done with a longer unload time I'm screwed. I do not have the space to bring in pallets, get vendors through or build my CRC/Salvage pallets while the truck is being unloaded. And if it is a sweep day, that will really mess things up because if the truck isn't unloaded completely until 10-11 that means I'll have move everything else I need to do around to load it (luckily for me now the logistics TL and ETL usually have time to help load it) Having to load a sweep while juggling vendors is a huge pain. I have to go to lunch before 12 to avoid compliance, and I spend my time after lunch doing my IRs because I don't have to be close to my desk anymore, but if I have to wait that long to load the sweep it will mess everything up.

Hey @busyzoningtoys ive been following your replies and I was wondering if you care to elaborate more on how your store on a whole took on modernization? Is your store fully modernized? If not what areas are?

I’m personally overall curious as to how the store runs without a dedicated backroom team.

I’ve gotten my team right now that do their own pulls from their morning audits (atm i got beauty electronics and toys on top of it) help out with the push if any left over from truck. I’m all Game for the owning our areas thing and I think it’s working well and I’ve been training and developing my team but when this all rolls out by April I’m just curious how it goes without backroom, with the morning truck? Seems everyone is just listed on genera merchandise in the new model but I’m assuming they may keep the same guys that usually comes in the morning to do truck?
I’ll have an answer for you in a few weeks lol. I took on modernization early; the rest of the store still has a ways to go. Electronics is getting there, they just started doing their own presentation and will be starting their own backroom stuff soon. Market also still needs to take over price change and presentation. My team is scheduled hardlines, but yes the plan is the names of the roles will change but it will be the same people when it comes to doing the truck. PP1 is still done by ‘inbound’ team and run by inbound TL. But the plan is them and presentation TL will take the parts of the salesfloor I don’t own. Not sure what the fate of the backroom TL will be yet. Currently backroom gets scraps of payroll, they pull and push the autos for PP1 areas, and maintain/audit backroom and that’s it. Everyone does their own backstock and pulls and their own pog/exf batches. My team pulls their own autos. We also have a redundant SrTL in a logistics role but I won’t elaborte as I don’t figure it’s a common situation and the details I’ve given could probably already out me lol. Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing having my identity revealed being a leader who is making the new op model work and educating my peers on how to have the same success 😝

I’ll have an answer for you in a few weeks lol. I took on modernization early; the rest of the store still has a ways to go. Electronics is getting there, they just started doing their own presentation and will be starting their own backroom stuff soon. Market also still needs to take over price change and presentation. My team is scheduled hardlines, but yes the plan is the names of the roles will change but it will be the same people when it comes to doing the truck. PP1 is still done by ‘inbound’ team and run by inbound TL. But the plan is them and presentation TL will take the parts of the salesfloor I don’t own. Not sure what the fate of the backroom TL will be yet. Currently backroom gets scraps of payroll, they pull and push the autos for PP1 areas, and maintain/audit backroom and that’s it. Everyone does their own backstock and pulls and their own pog/exf batches. My team pulls their own autos. We also have a redundant SrTL in a logistics role but I won’t elaborte as I don’t figure it’s a common situation and the details I’ve given could probably already out me lol. Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing having my identity revealed being a leader who is making the new op model work and educating my peers on how to have the same success 😝

Well this a great reply, thank you!

Last year I got Electronics & Beauty Team doing their own backstock/push, price changes, audits, sales. This year I got them now incorporating their own POG/Rev/sales planners, OOS. The beauty team were already doing their own SPL since last year but now they adapted pog and rev.

Our old Plano team still basically do most of our pogs atm though they help out with price change and other areas once they complete their assigned tasks for that particular day/Week. And I plan my workload for my team based on the price change workload report, usually see what the incoming week(s) workload is and adjaceny calendar, then schedule and set tasks accordingly for each day sun through sat.

Softlines still suffers in modernization for us. Hardlines comes clean for workload metrics, but our softlines is drowning in truck and price change.

Back