MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m now a mostly stay at home parent, who works 16 hours a week at most, and still does more than the rest of my team mates. I’m fine. I just don’t like someone trying to dangle $15/hr in front of me like it’s going to rock my world.

Hell, I’m not even sure I’m going to work until the end of this year. We’ll see!
I hope they get rid of these “weekend warriors”.

The company is surviving despite these changes. How is it better to have pallets blocking the whole wall of water/frozen food until after 2pm?

It's HOPING these tactics will give it an edge.

Most of the naysayers are realistic and have seen the company make huge investments and fail by pumping too much hope into ideas company wide before they are FULLY tested and proven in a smaller test.

Canada anyone? I suppose all that was a good idea? Cause the last I heard, they were doing great!! Oh, I suppose that was because all the og tms there didn't believe enough. Oh wait, they were all new hires.

I'll agree that some new ideas are good. Of course they are. But at some point, when someone presents an idea that is bad, you have to realize it.
Omg, you are never going to get over Canada are you? It was just one time and Target promised and said sorry!

Omg, you are never going to get over Canada are you? It was just one time and Target promised and said sorry!

"Target will exit the Canadian market after less than two years in a surprise retreat that will throw more than 17,000 employees out of work and trigger a $5.4 billion quarterly loss." That's not counting all the investment they made initially.

No, I won't. Everytime I read some idiot on here blindly squawk that "every idea from corporate is a golden turd" I'm going to reference it.

Do YOU have $5.4 billion to loan me? No?

Every idea is not a good idea. Just because you get paid to run the company doesn't make you right. Sorry, it doesn't. The management then thought they were right. Well, look what happened.

"Target will exit the Canadian market after less than two years in a surprise retreat that will throw more than 17,000 employees out of work and trigger a $5.4 billion quarterly loss." That's not counting all the investment they made initially.

No, I won't. Everytime I read some idiot on here blindly squawk that "every idea from corporate is a golden turd" I'm going to reference it.

Do YOU have $5.4 billion to loan me? No?

Every idea is not a good idea. Just because you get paid to run the company doesn't make you right. Sorry, it doesn't. The management then thought they were right. Well, look what happened.
With your talent and intellect, I am sure you can name atleast one company, that you started and help succeed.

You need to challenge your leaders on this, and tell them that the product won’t be pushed if you keep being pulled in 15 directions. Why can’t electronics help the toys guest? Why can’t softlines or market do some backing up or the carry out? 25+ minutes at a time backing up on a lane is unacceptable, and if you were my TM and I lost an hour of your shift to the checklanes, I’d have words for the gstl. Also, salesfloor TMs covering OPU breaks? What the fuck? At my store, leaders cover OPU when there’s a break or gap. I assume this means your leaders were pushing U boats instead?

This process won’t work if leadership doesn’t get their heads out of their asses.

Easily explained. Electronics is busy pushing freight and helping guests so no they can't cover toys, one person over there. Hardlines may have one person for the rest of hardlines. OPU/SFS is one person who running around like a chicken with their head cut off since they don't get break or lunch coverage so they are so far behind while leaders are asking why goal times are not being met.

Leaders are walking around asking why things are not getting done while surfing Instagram or ordering lunch. But actually doing work? yeah unless the DTL is in the building they are not touching shit.

Easily explained. Electronics is busy pushing freight and helping guests so no they can't cover toys, one person over there. Hardlines may have one person for the rest of hardlines. OPU/SFS is one person who running around like a chicken with their head cut off since they don't get break or lunch coverage so they are so far behind while leaders are asking why goal times are not being met.

Leaders are walking around asking why things are not getting done while surfing Instagram or ordering lunch. But actually doing work? yeah unless the DTL is in the building they are not touching shit.
^This, 100%. Sounds like my store. Every. Single. Day. Except for one ETL, who the rest of them all hate, I have never seen such useless “leaders”, unless drinking Starbucks, eating lunch and taking personal calls is considered “work”.

Might take a minute. I’ve had one coaching in 12 years. I called out once in the last year. Never late. I get all top rated reviews. 🤷🏽‍♀️ But yeah, hopefully they’ll get rid of me.
Oh yeah and I was pregnant most of last year, high risk and still worked up until 4 days before giving birth. I did a lot more than people that weren’t high risk pregnant.

Can't Teach An Old Dog New Tricks”
There is reason why this phrase exists, it has for a long time, and it puts some of the naysayers in perspective.
Responding as someone who has taught an actual old dog new tricks and as someone who is one of those old dogs you seem eager to downgrade, I like another cliche: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sure, some new ideas are great and should be implemented. But not every new idea that comes along is great, even if it appears so on the surface, and a fair number of those "great new ideas" should be tossed in the dumpster. New Coke anyone?
I've been part of the repack sorting process in several different permutations at my store, at least 4, and the current method of sorting them on the line absolutely stinks. It is the worst, by an order of magnitude. When I told the current main beauty TM how we used to sort product into carts, etc., she thought that sounded way easier than repack boxes on u-boats - because it was way easier. We had a visit a couple weeks or so ago and the DTL (or whatever she is) kept going on about pushing domestics straight out of the repacks, moving from aisle to aisle, without doing any sorting first. She had a thing about handling product twice, once to sort and once to push. How many times does product get pushed around in the box as items for the current aisle are removed? The TM who most often pushes that area's repacks works it in a way that makes sense to her, and she does a really good job of it. How many trucks has that DTL actually worked? And how many has she done with the "new and improved" way? I'm guessing the answer to both questions is a big fat zero. The suits have all the answers, but they've never done the work to know if those answers are as great as they make out.
I hope Target doesn't turn out to the retail equivalent of New Coke. Not terribly optimistic.

It's never a good idea to play "too big to fail" unless you are in fact too big to fail, which Target is obviously not. This dawned on me today as the likely reason for their awful approach to the modernization rollout, with the whole ongoing Great Purge and toxic corporate totalitarianism that hampers transparency and communication. I think what's happening is that when Cornell came in, dropped his pants and crapped out a new ops model, he saw the coincidental bump in sales growth and got a monster high off that and went totally balls to the wall with his infernal plans. Problem being he is basically homeless compared to Lord Bezos but is pretending like the company is sitting on several hundred gigabucks and can weather any amount of chaos without worry...that's a negative ghostrider.

And obviously all that is because he's planning to dip VERY soon. Whatever happens I legit don't think he'll still be at Target in 2020.

Just a thought..

Shouldn't "modernization" include having store/district management capable of rolling it out in such a way that isn't an utter disaster? Wouldn't having executives doing things properly be the FIRST step?

For anyone who is at one of these mythical stores where everything is getting done in shorter time frames, why be hostile to TMs in stores that aren't? It's not Johnny Team Member's fault if corporate decided to roll out a huge set of changes with leadership incapable of rolling them out "correctly". I'd include the salaried executives that corporate has the most direct, immediate control over being able to implement the changes properly as an integral part of the rollout.

And by that measure, this modernization thing is clearly a failure since it seems the majority of stores don't seem to have this key piece of the puzzle.

And obviously all that is because he's planning to dip VERY soon. Whatever happens I legit don't think he'll still be at Target in 2020.
From your lips to God's ears. I just hope the next CEO is less like Kim Jong-un and more willing to work with and listen to the stores. After all, we're the ones doing the actual work unlike Corporate who only thinks it'll work because it looks good on paper.

Hey so I’m a backroom team leader and just heard what’s happening to my team

They will have hardlines as their work center but be performing backroom duties

Does anyone have a clear answer about what is happening to backroom TL’s
Sorry, all gone is the BRTL. Flow becomes combo at almost all volumes

Responding as someone who has taught an actual old dog new tricks and as someone who is one of those old dogs you seem eager to downgrade, I like another cliche: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sure, some new ideas are great and should be implemented. But not every new idea that comes along is great, even if it appears so on the surface, and a fair number of those "great new ideas" should be tossed in the dumpster. New Coke anyone?
I've been part of the repack sorting process in several different permutations at my store, at least 4, and the current method of sorting them on the line absolutely stinks. It is the worst, by an order of magnitude. When I told the current main beauty TM how we used to sort product into carts, etc., she thought that sounded way easier than repack boxes on u-boats - because it was way easier. We had a visit a couple weeks or so ago and the DTL (or whatever she is) kept going on about pushing domestics straight out of the repacks, moving from aisle to aisle, without doing any sorting first. She had a thing about handling product twice, once to sort and once to push. How many times does product get pushed around in the box as items for the current aisle are removed? The TM who most often pushes that area's repacks works it in a way that makes sense to her, and she does a really good job of it. How many trucks has that DTL actually worked? And how many has she done with the "new and improved" way? I'm guessing the answer to both questions is a big fat zero. The suits have all the answers, but they've never done the work to know if those answers are as great as they make out.
I hope Target doesn't turn out to the retail equivalent of New Coke. Not terribly optimistic.
I am throughly enjoying the ride, by conformity. I intend to as long as there are wheels on this ride. Heck even if its sparking on the rims!

Back