MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah definitely. It's already happening at my store. We've had the dedicated stockers doing their own backstock for a while now, and without exception, every area I've helped set a pog in, I've had to go back through the backroom and pull literally dozens of cases/eaches that weren't scanned in.

If it weren't for me actually caring and being good at my job, those shelf spaces would have probably sat empty for weeks until maybe someone either audited it and we got more in, or stumbled across the items in the backroom and created the location error by accidentally scanning them.

Backroom is definitely an area where you want people who are accountable and good at what they do. Having it be an afterthought, or the "thing someone has to do before they go home" just doesn't make sense to me.
We’ve been holding the whole store accountable and it’s been working; everyone does their own backstock, and BRLA just crawled it’s way back over 98%. We talk about backstocking at huddles, and quiz the team. ETL log sneaks up on people backstocking and verifies it’s being done correctly. Backroom detail report on greenfield shows who backstocked it again also

We’ve been holding the whole store accountable and it’s been working; everyone does their own backstock, and BRLA just crawled it’s way back over 98%. We talk about backstocking at huddles, and quiz the team. ETL log sneaks up on people backstocking and verifies it’s being done correctly. Backroom detail report on greenfield shows who backstocked it again also

Oh, yeah they've been keeping track of BRLA, and some of these aisles have a very high percentage. I remember even hearing one of the worst offenders getting praised on the walkie for the location accuracy in their area. Because if you don't scan something in and no one else scans it, it doesn't create the error. The system just thinks the item is on the salesfloor.

And as far as holding someone accountable, short of checking cameras if that aisle has one, it's kind of hard to know who shoved a box in a location if no one scans it in. And yeah, the same could be said for knowing which backroom TM did it under the old system, but a) they were a lot less likely to do that, and b) finding problems like that was something I did in my time in the backroom when things were slower. Not much chance of a "business owner" having time to spend cleaning up/checking on their backroom aisle when there already isn't enough time for their current tasks before the extra work they're about to get.

All tls were told today that any tm who doesn’t fully zone and push and backstock in their 4-5 hour shift are to be coached daily until term with stl and Etl’s cc’d on each occurrence or we will be performanced out

So that's not just my store. My PPTL told me something similar a couple weeks back when he gave me the heads up that signing was being killed and that I'd probably end up back in an area. That I'd almost certainly be assigned a workload that couldn't be finished in a short shift, and he would then be expected to write me up for it. And he would feel bad about it, he's going to do what he has to do to keep his job. (I'm pretty sure we are over TL headcount and since his is one of the positions actually being eliminated, I'm sure there's some pressure there).

It sucks, but I don't blame him for not wanting to point out the ridiculousness of the expectations. They'd just replace him with someone who would be fine with directing traffic at the revolving door until they figure out that maybe it's the expectations and not the TMs that should change.

The opening/closing LOD could open and close the lanes. Or have a cashier do it, it's not too hard. GSTLs will still be in the building for like 80% of sales if the shifts are timed right. Cashiers who constantly need help are probably going to either figure it out or get performanced out.

At my small format store, they gave supervisor numbers to several cashiers. We opened in late July and haven't had a GSTL since mid August, although the GSTL wouldn't end up spending much time up front anyway. The cashiers are pretty much left on their own 99% of the time. They call when they have an issue and a lot of that can be handled over the walkie. It helps that all of the LODs are on the same page with scammers; they shut them down real quick and stand their ground, so I don't think we get as many of them.

Team as in the people who report to me. Those areas of 20-30 aisles, that’s one person for 6.5-8 hours a day same person 4-5 days a week. A designated alternate on their days off.

Wow. I don't think we have a single section in our store that is 20-30 aisles, save for maybe all of dry market. But that's split up into at least 3 areas.

Oh man I hope they give me supervisor numbers. I know they’ve wanted to in the past but didnt/couldn’t bc I was only a GSTM.

Wow. I don't think we have a single section in our store that is 20-30 aisles, save for maybe all of dry market. But that's split up into at least 3 areas.
As I’m counting on my fingers, let me make a correction. Kitchen: 16 aisles plus a focal, and a very long back wall. 5 custom block u boats, plus repacks, average 10-12/day. 1 dedicated business owner who averages 36-38 hours a week. Secondary TM 18-24 hours a week. Stat: 14 plus another long back wall, 2 focals. 3 custom block u boats plus repacks, average 8-12/day. 1 dedicated business owner 36-38 hours a week, secondary TM 12-14 hours a week. Bed and bath: 38 aisles plus back wall of towels, back wall of curtains, back wall of bedding. Also includes curtains and rugs. 5 custom block u boats, plus repacks, average 12-15/day. 1 dedicated business owner, 40 hours a week, secondary TM 16 hours a week. This one is hard. Dec home: hearth and hand flat, home innovation flat, lamp, candles, and picture frames. 3 custom block u boats, 1-2 repacks/day. Lightest workload by far but they spend a lot of time zoning and maintaining the areas; they are VM trained and do the sets, also the bed and bath bookcase vmgs. They help bed and bath as well. 1 dedicated business owner 32 hours a week, secondary TM 10-12 hours a week.

Yeah I know I’m a gm tl . But any planning for plano still get thru former etl log
I think that makes more sense then having a GM tl over see it since they have their own responsibility and planning can take up a lot of time with just reading all the notes and auditing everything.

I think that makes more sense then having a GM tl over see it since they have their own responsibility and planning can take up a lot of time with just reading all the notes and auditing everything.
I did all the planning and am overseeing my GM PP2 team doing the entire stationary transition this week. If they want my team to be business owners, they they’re going to get the hours for this stuff rather than payroll be taken out of there areas.

Last edited:
I did all the planning and am overseeing my GM PP2 team doing the entire stationatu transition this week.
I think it’s definitely doable but as someone who also has to be the planning person and be one of three GM TLs. I think I’d be able to really dig into my work center and be a better GMTL if I had an ETL log (GM) that could do most of the planning. I know it’s doable and I actually enjoy the planning just from an efficiency standpoint it doesn’t make sense. But that can be said for the GMTL that over sees fulfillment or receiving as well

~Wild idea~ but TL and SrTL should be “stripped” of their titles and made to interview again. Why? Because so many of them are complacent, don’t produce results, and in any given store there are many who would love the chance to promote. It’s important to keep these people on their toes. But again, maybe that’s just me, seeing how 80% of the leads at my store take a full shift to *maybe* set up an endcap and always say they have “stuff on the ground” to avoid heading up for back up. Perfect, put all of it in a 3 tier and leave it by the register you’re about to jump on!

I agree, there's a few bad TLs that shouldn't be TLs anymore. But what's the point of interviewing again when we already know they don't/can't perform? Just demote them.

I think it’s definitely doable but as someone who also has to be the planning person and be one of three GM TLs. I think I’d be able to really dig into my work center and be a better GMTL if I had an ETL log (GM) that could do most of the planning. I know it’s doable and I actually enjoy the planning just from an efficiency standpoint it doesn’t make sense. But that can be said for the GMTL that over sees fulfillment or receiving as well
This isn’t me being snarky, but I’m genuinely asking, what the planning and execution of transitions like this would be pulling you away from? We aren’t supposed to be ‘muscling through the push’ etc. My team needs minimal interaction with me if I’m busy, kitchen and stationary and dec home are self sufficient and bed and bath is getting there; the transition planning has actually been a big chunk of my workload lately

This isn’t me being snarky, but I’m genuinely asking, what the planning and execution of transitions like this would be pulling you away from? We aren’t supposed to be ‘muscling through the push’ etc. My team needs minimal interaction with me if I’m busy, kitchen and stationary and dec home are self sufficient and bed and bath is getting there; the transition planning has actually been a big chunk of my workload lately
I work in a small format with minimal TMs and no ETLs so we split up the floor 4 ways and I do the majority of my push, backstock, zone, manuals and sets. I get a TM or two here and there but I do a lot of the manual labor and have less time to plan than most chain store TLs do. I’m not complaining because I love my job, the guide just does a poor job at laying out small format so it’s kinda learn as we go for everything. I’m at a store where the majority of TMs and leadership are new so I do a lot of babysitting and spend a lot of my day acting as though an ETL would and following up with all my peers (in a respectful way) and helping them throughout their days.

Supposed to be a lot of vendor anyways.

Yes, I’m aware that it’s a garbage vendor partnership and they don’t do shit. Just saying though
I haven’t seen mine since we started SBT for entertainment. I called the company and they didn’t really have an answer for me besides “it looks like your vendor hasn’t accepted any jobs, I’ll have the DM reach out to you.” That was two weeks ago and still nothing.

Back