MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can someone tell me if this is true- If I have a revision on grocery, I can ask for more hours? I was told we still get hours for planno even if it's not listed under Planno
Make sure you are getting every minute that the adjacency calendar says you should get. I was given my 3.1 hours for American Greetings vendor endcaps, all I had to do was demand it. The store got the hours, they’re mine. Literally just to text them and tell them which 2 to set. Yes our presentation hours are now just a part of our regular hours, just allocated differently.

Can someone tell me if this is true- If I have a revision on grocery, I can ask for more hours? I was told we still get hours for planno even if it's not listed under Planno
Unless ASANTS, Q1 stated that revisions for grocery are not done by consumables team. I know there was a Q2 that just rolled out but I didn't get a chance to read it. There was one copy that came through store mail and it was addressed to the SD.

I chatted with an ETL about how hard it is for me to push Beauty and he explained that our DC apparently isn't up to par yet and stuff is actually supposed to be more sorted than it is now? So instead of having nine repacks that each have things from aisles A1-A16, stuff from A15-A16 would be together, etc. That would enable me to take my uboat with me easily. But for now it just doesn't make sense. I have to open all the repacks and sort them myself, and I do it in front of some half-empty flex endcap so I'm on the floor because otherwise there might not be any presence in Beauty. God, I hope our DC steps it up soon. I got a repack today that was almost entirely sunscreen (with two hair things at the very bottom) and I was thrilled, I've never had a repack be for one aisle before.

I chatted with an ETL about how hard it is for me to push Beauty and he explained that our DC apparently isn't up to par yet and stuff is actually supposed to be more sorted than it is now? So instead of having nine repacks that each have things from aisles A1-A16, stuff from A15-A16 would be together, etc. That would enable me to take my uboat with me easily. But for now it just doesn't make sense. I have to open all the repacks and sort them myself, and I do it in front of some half-empty flex endcap so I'm on the floor because otherwise there might not be any presence in Beauty. God, I hope our DC steps it up soon. I got a repack today that was almost entirely sunscreen (with two hair things at the very bottom) and I was thrilled, I've never had a repack be for one aisle before.
You and me both, although I do health & personal care. There's no way I can move my u-boat from one aisle to the next, moving through my whole area just one time.
Also, I'm on the part of the line where soft lines repacks are opened to see what stack they go in. Had a couple of green repacks today with shoes AND hanging AND folded in it. Really?! Not sure if that's better or worse than a green repack with exactly 1 item in it.
I wish we could all see a video of a shift at the DC that sends us stuff; seriously, I'd really like to see how it works so I could better understand why we get repacks like we do. There has to be a reason, right?

Guest Services training now. Like seriously? People apply to Flow FOR A REASON. I applied to Flow to not work behind a register, so I wouldn't have to deal with angry Karens--helping them on the floor is way different than helping behind a register. I've never worked Guest Services in my life.

Why am I suddenly being shoved here???

Still not getting more than 1 day a week. There's no way I can retain a sh*tload of new info if I only get 1 day a week.

I was thinking exactly this yesterday. I watch former flow TMs mostly ignore guests and calls on the floor/for the lanes and I just shake my head. Not at them, but at thinking everyone can just automatically adjust. People work flow for a reason.

We're really cracking down on safety, but yet some people are choosing to ignore it, and some people ignore the "bring your vehicle to the back when you go on break" thing too. Sigh.

Also only getting one day a week. I have a full time seasonal thing starting in May, which makes my availability crazy but if they're only scheduling one day a week anyway... (a girl's gotta eat and be able to live).

I was thinking exactly this yesterday. I watch former flow TMs mostly ignore guests and calls on the floor/for the lanes and I just shake my head. Not at them, but at thinking everyone can just automatically adjust. People work flow for a reason.

We're really cracking down on safety, but yet some people are choosing to ignore it, and some people ignore the "bring your vehicle to the back when you go on break" thing too. Sigh.

Also only getting one day a week. I have a full time seasonal thing starting in May, which makes my availability crazy but if they're only scheduling one day a week anyway... (a girl's gotta eat and be able to live).

I'm on (was) on flow and had my hours go from 5 8 hour shifts down to 2 4 hour shifts. My availability is every morning of the week. Figured if I wasn't going to get more then 2 days a week then I would change my availability to only two days a week so I could work another job the other 5. My request was denied. When I asked about it their response was a generic 'needs of the business'. I told them that if I was going to have open availability for them then I needed more then 8 hours. They have given me a few more but that was 2 months ago. Some weeks it's 4 4 hour shifts, other weeks it's 2. Never the same days from week to week. Very frustrating, especially when they won't let you change your availability. Doesn't really matter though. We had a hardlines-wide huddle and after was told that if we weren't onboard w the changes we should find another job. I immediately went on workday and resigned, as did others. Since then, a week ago, I know of 7 others who are leaving as soon as they secure other jobs. Someone else is leaving at the end of May once she graduates. Target is losing lots and lots of experienced TMs and refuse to accept they are a sinking ship. Anyone who refuses to go down with them should jump off now. And they are.

When the CEO of Target said hey let's make some changes to how we do things at Target to keep us relevant and ofc our doors open. I thought oh my what's to change?Well I have noticed A LOT of them! For starters: My store. I remember the formation of the food team for market and then style team; the remodel for apparel and accessories, the toy expansion (around Q4); for the unload process we have used U-boats for majority of our custom blocks and ofc still use flats and pallets if needed. So my store has a leg up b/c we were in a district that was chosen to be a tester. Today after many moons, my STL had his 10th huddle with anyone who may have missed one to explain these changes. My schedule (b/c of my other job) is staying the same. Others b/c of their availability, theirs might change. No one said this process was going to be popular, well liked to or heck even conformed to. I have not found it difficult to roll a U-boat up and down an aisle w/ or w/o a repack. Others I work with grumble about it. I'll admit the repacks (green, red or black) get annoying to open and sort. But its part of it and its a smart sort for a reason. The repacks for cosmetics are going to be dandy. So I'll take any tips on those lol But if your store is just now rolling these changes out, then good luck!

When the CEO of Target said hey let's make some changes to how we do things at Target to keep us relevant and ofc our doors open. I thought oh my what's to change?Well I have noticed A LOT of them! For starters: My store. I remember the formation of the food team for market and then style team; the remodel for apparel and accessories, the toy expansion (around Q4); for the unload process we have used U-boats for majority of our custom blocks and ofc still use flats and pallets if needed. So my store has a leg up b/c we were in a district that was chosen to be a tester. Today after many moons, my STL had his 10th huddle with anyone who may have missed one to explain these changes. My schedule (b/c of my other job) is staying the same. Others b/c of their availability, theirs might change. No one said this process was going to be popular, well liked to or heck even conformed to. I have not found it difficult to roll a U-boat up and down an aisle w/ or w/o a repack. Others I work with grumble about it. I'll admit the repacks (green, red or black) get annoying to open and sort. But its part of it and its a smart sort for a reason. The repacks for cosmetics are going to be dandy. So I'll take any tips on those lol But if your store is just now rolling these changes out, then good luck!

That's a big leap of faith to ASSUME our doors would close unless we made changes just because the CEO says so and just because other stores have. Big changes aren't always better. When Jcpenney tried their square deal/no clearance change years ago, it went over like a lead balloon.

I'm not convinced Brian has Target's long term viability in his best interest. And before I'm misquoted, I never said changes were unnecessary. What I am saying is .... maybe that's not the whole truth. There's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I think we got the first and 3rd in that list, but not necessarily the 2nd.

Also, I can't push the uboat of hba and pharmacy down an aisle with up to 15 repacks on it when they are unsorted. It's nearly impossible anyway. Arent we supposed to be sorting this as it comes off the truck?

Your repacks are to have been opened, scanned and sorted so that if you work in aisle whatever in HBA and pharmacy, then you roll the Uboat up and down the aisle. Again every store is different in how they approach this change and investment of time to modernize their stores. And I never said CEO's word is the gospel, but I see where he is coming from so we don't end up like Sears, JC Penny, and other retailers that have closed shop completely. Yes, there have been Targets that have been close due to whatever reason that they weren't able to make it. And when if your store isn't smart sorting (as its called), then they best get into the habit of breaking those repacks open to sort better. Thus, everyone else coming in will be more efficient on the push.

Let me repeat myself: your h&B repacks will be on the same Uboat that your boxes are going to be on for whatever aisle you roll up and down. Hence eliminating the need for a separate Uboat for repacks.

Let me repeat myself: your h&B repacks will be on the same Uboat that your boxes are going to be on for whatever aisle you roll up and down. Hence eliminating the need for a separate Uboat for repacks.

Someone should tell my store then, because we're not doing this yet.

I wonder when this will all be put into practice. First I was told March, then April--and now I'm hearing about May and August. What's the holdup, I wonder?

I'm on (was) on flow and had my hours go from 5 8 hour shifts down to 2 4 hour shifts. My availability is every morning of the week. Figured if I wasn't going to get more then 2 days a week then I would change my availability to only two days a week so I could work another job the other 5. My request was denied. When I asked about it their response was a generic 'needs of the business'. I told them that if I was going to have open availability for them then I needed more then 8 hours. They have given me a few more but that was 2 months ago. Some weeks it's 4 4 hour shifts, other weeks it's 2. Never the same days from week to week. Very frustrating, especially when they won't let you change your availability. Doesn't really matter though. We had a hardlines-wide huddle and after was told that if we weren't onboard w the changes we should find another job. I immediately went on workday and resigned, as did others. Since then, a week ago, I know of 7 others who are leaving as soon as they secure other jobs. Someone else is leaving at the end of May once she graduates. Target is losing lots and lots of experienced TMs and refuse to accept they are a sinking ship. Anyone who refuses to go down with them should jump off now. And they are.

I feel fortunate that my current store has been great about my school schedule. I had to take multiple weekends off for performances and events and they were fine about that. I picked up shifts as I could fit them in even on days I had asked off. I'm not sure what they'll do about my schedule now, but I agree with you. It's a load of malarkey if they think you should be available 100% of the time but schedule you minimally and not allow you to take on another job. It's not the needs of the business. I'm not sure what they'll do to me. I'm working at a historic site and making $2 more an hour than Target (even with the bump in June). They did mess with me with a promise to move to market and gave me only cashier hours (which, yes, is hours, but sucky ones) after that. I'm finally in market now but they don't need to feed me the "business needs" crap.

There's a hardlines TM (cough cough okay, General Merch) who gets a boatload of hours mostly because he's gone above and beyond as a seasonal (etc. etc. etc.). He's finally stopped drinking the Kool-Aid though and is starting to see how things really are. He still enjoys the work but told me recently he's burning out. I totally get that.

I can't jump ship yet. I am leaving my grad program and I need to keep Spot until I find a full time job (with benefits). I am hoping through August. It sucks for those of us who have nothing additional and HAVE to stay for the paycheck (even if it's minimal). My dad did this - took a job as a "for now" and it turned into his career because he had NO choice. He had a family he needed to support. Granted, I know Spot isn't the same (no benefits/hours and tiny paychecks now), but it's a similar situation. I would be EXTREMELY lucky if I got offered full time through the historic site. I'd drop everything, move closer to it, and do that.

I'd imagine that your STL is waiting on something or someone. My STL knew for months and finally told our store in groups of the changes that Target rolled out (that started April 22nd). My STL personally came in one morning while we were unloading of how the repacks for h&b are to be done. Now I had I the guts to ask about cosmetics. And yep the those get sorted into this multi tiered rolling tray and any other things go into a smart cart.

Someone should tell my store then, because we're not doing this yet.

I wonder when this will all be put into practice. First I was told March, then April--and now I'm hearing about May and August. What's the holdup, I wonder?

My store too. Our box stock is somewhat sorted by aisle, but the repacks are just thrown on uboats unopened. So it takes forever to push.

I'll admit I have worked repacks in other areas besides toys. Yes they are tedious and take a while to push. My ETL was fine and still is with using a smart cart to put loose items in (i.e. whatever is out of a repack box). Those of us like myself on the truck do our best to open repacks and sort through them. It makes it easier in the long run.

My U-boats are barely sorted correctly.

I get it.... our line is cramped, u-boats can quickly be over loaded, boxes fall off (one u-boat and onto the one next to it) and people make mistakes.

I would be shocked if my case stock and repacks were sorted correctly by the people on the line. Honestly, I am ok with sorting my repacks myself.

Our store was designed with pallets in mind, not U-boats or having an army of TMs sorting things on the line.

Same! Like the back room in my store is now so crammed OSHA would have serious words for people. You could MAYBE get a Uboat down the "aisles" now, certainly not a pallet. Not anymore.

The way my ETL has our custom blocks set, if we have a three tier U-boat, the aisle numbers are divided up. Like for toys, aisles 1-5, top shelf aisles 6-9 middle shelf; and that's how most of our u-boats are done. The worst is pets. But I guess at my store the emphasis is going towards accuracy as well as the time of how long the unload takes. Used to its been about speed rather than accuracy. I can't stand my Uboats being overstocked and boxes falling off, its an injury waiting to happen. And yes our backroom/recieving has been tweaked around to make room. As well ppl do make mistakes on the sorting, but if all is to be where your lead is to audit that sort, they'll point it out.

@Sloth, Idk how big our unload area/receiving is . I know that back in the day we had nothing but a few flats and the rest pallets. Then came the food team, so back of the line had their U-boats. Now, have a tight fit of Uboats parked side by side on the front and then behind the line. And the tweaks and changes made back there meant taking out shelves and moving things around to accommodate. But once the repacks come off from the truck and down the line, we open them, scan the times and see where they go. Now, that we have to sort the cosmetic repacks, that's a bear and it takes time. I'll have to keep a smart cart next to me and unload at the every end of the line.

Ill agree @Sloth that the U-boats are not ideal for home decor and other freight. Thank goodness for a flat for the domestic repacks, some furniture and baby. The seasonal custom block is a flat and mini is a at times a two or three tiered U-boat. But back to the dreaded and tedious repacks, by no means do we have a space for them to just take them and sort. The way we do it is, open the box, scan it and take things out as we go and then put it on the u boat or in another empty repack that's under, at the end of the line.But at the moment my co worker who is on light duty so she's getting the repacks we sort and pushes that.

Yes, i'll agree that space and time will always be an issue no matter how big your space is. Its tough to move around. Especially with transitional One Spot, Summer and other areas that are due for a reset.

As for softlines, we have a walk in closet sized space for them to sort their repacks. We only deal with separating the infant hard lines from the clothes and shoes. Their pallets sit near the end of the line.
I've always known my store to be a 6am unload. And yes vendors along with SFS running around or anyone getting pulls from that end is one big bitch to deal with. But only times we've done a 5:30am or even 4am unload during the holidays. But welcome to the 6am process club lol

The way my ETL has our custom blocks set, if we have a three tier U-boat, the aisle numbers are divided up. Like for toys, aisles 1-5, top shelf aisles 6-9 middle shelf; and that's how most of our u-boats are done. The worst is pets. But I guess at my store the emphasis is going towards accuracy as well as the time of how long the unload takes. Used to its been about speed rather than accuracy. I can't stand my Uboats being overstocked and boxes falling off, its an injury waiting to happen. And yes our backroom/recieving has been tweaked around to make room. As well ppl do make mistakes on the sorting, but if all is to be where your lead is to audit that sort, they'll point it out.
The sort being accurate is crucial to the rest of the process working. Wish more stores understood this.

Sorry but a ha jz
a haha ahaha. We were s pilot store 2yrs ago.
Watch the posts and look for other work. Bug out.

That is the issue we are having. Nothing is being sorted from the repacks. So when we push hba and pharmacy repacks, they are just thrown sky high on a uboat still taped up. Takes forever to push.
Yeah no one sorts any repacks at my store and I'm not sure if they ever plan on doing it. Also our STL gave us all the modernization talk last week and told us about the changes and said almost in the same breath that backroom was going away but there would still be a person there in the morning doing pulls. 🤣

Back