MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you are just a TL you, you aren't necessarily going to know if someone has a disability.
They don't have to tell you as long as they have talked to the people who matter.
The amount of discrimination people face on a daily basis means they only have to tell a minimum number of people and if they tell anyone else without permission they can be sued.
You just have to make the adjustments necessary for them.
You say that people with disabilities don't want to be treated differently.
Not allowing them to have jobs or to be part of society is certainly treating them differently.
The unemployment rate for people with disabilities runs around 50% and is getting worse with companies moving towards all jobs being multiple multitasking.

Nobody wants Spot to fix their disabilities.
What they want is to not be treated like second class citizens and be given the same opportunities to thrive as everyone else.

I work with people who are in the Autism Spectrum every day.
Just like the rest of us they vary widely in their skills and abilities.
The one thing that we have found is that a supportive employer that recognizes the positive contributions they bring makes all the difference in the world.
My cousin lives in Israel where everyone serves two years in the military.
The IDF has a unit for people in the AS.
If active military can accommodate people with disabilities, Spot sure as fuck can.
They don't have to tell me know but my HR would have to so I don't break any laws. I've already asked about my current team and no one falls into a ADA category. I'm all for people with disability working but if your not willing to seek out help for yourself and at bare minimum get a diagnosis.... at the end of the day I can't just let you not do something just because you don't want to or don't think you can. Otherwise anyone can say anything you want or not want to do. I'm not disagreeing that target may not be the most tolerable to people with undiagnosed disabilities that may have legit concerns but at the end of the day you still have to prove you have an issue or you open up Pandora's box of problems with people with out disabilities saying they can't do stuff either.

I was at another local Target this morning and finally witnessed aisles being blocked in the back of the sales floor. 9:30 in the morning and still unloading. I believe this store is even further behind on modernization than my store and a bunch of TMs were still using tubs. I'm glad my ETL log want's a clean sales floor by 8am
When do you start your process though? There are stores that start it at midnight and 4 am and of course they should be relatively done. For the ones starting the process at 6 am, 8 am, or even 10 am there are going to be uboats on the floor.

I see both sides of the argument. As a manager I had to train reluctant people. Some had disabilities and some were just out of their element. I observed and placed people according to their skills and abilities.
It's fine to criticize but people are literally wanting target to go back or hanging on to a job with 5 hours a week. It's not gonna happen and the hours have left the chat. Target will continue to make decisions. One day they will make another one and it will make modernization look amazing. People will bitch that that process worked also but now they wanna do this new thing. Anytime money if the number one reason a company makes changes your damn sure the first to suffer will be the ground level employees. This will never change. So you have to either shit(promote to a higher position) or get off the toilet( find a better job)
Wow it’s about money? Who knew?
And if you polish a turd whether it’s a process or an attitude- it’s still a turd. You might want to ditch the Kool aid for a more sensible beverage.

One of the things that makes me shake my head the most about modernization is that some people are incredible at one thing but horrible at another. To find enough people who have COMPLETELY open availability ANY TIME ANY DAY (despite having a second job, school and a family) with a sometimes varying schedule, AND can do EVERYTHING (push,pulls, pogs, guests, trash, backstock, cashier) perfectly, quickly and able to complete EVERYTHING 100% EVERY day (meaning they don't ever let any freight or backstock etc roll over to the next day) is going to be impossible. Logic says right person right position. But whoever said spot was logical.
So once again profit over people.
Another Spot pipe dream destined for failure...

They don't have to tell me know but my HR would have to so I don't break any laws. I've already asked about my current team and no one falls into a ADA category. I'm all for people with disability working but if your not willing to seek out help for yourself and at bare minimum get a diagnosis.... at the end of the day I can't just let you not do something just because you don't want to or don't think you can. Otherwise anyone can say anything you want or not want to do. I'm not disagreeing that target may not be the most tolerable to people with undiagnosed disabilities that may have legit concerns but at the end of the day you still have to prove you have an issue or you open up Pandora's box of problems with people with out disabilities saying they can't do stuff either.
On the practical side you don’t want people in dangerous situations unload or high ladders. You can force the issue but consider the potential results.

I could have opened up a whole lot of boxes when I nearly spooched that pallet on the steel. I didn’t know I couldn’t see til the near miss. You want to learn that the hard way? Crown- not my deal. But I stocked the shit out of the store for years. Targets problem is no training. Just cowboy up and drop a half ton of whatever. Good luck and believe me if there was a legal problem hr would throw you so far under the bus you’d be farting exhaust for a year.

Targets problem is no training. Just cowboy up and drop a half ton of whatever. Good luck and believe me if there was a legal problem hr would throw you so far under the bus you’d be farting exhaust for a year.
😂😂😂😂😂😂

Correct me if I'm wrong but in all of Commie's posts he states accommodating disabled workers, meaning those with documented disability since he DOES work for a state agency that helps disabled workers with job placement.
As you've stressed in all your posts on the subject, it's a matter of documentation.

Actually, HR doesn't have to tell you if the person doesn't want them to.
All that has to happen is the TM asks HR for the accommodation based on the disability, HR can ask for medical proof (but they don't have to), and then they will tell you what accommodations to provide to the TM.
You don't have to know or get to find out unless the TM wants you to know.
There is no reason for you to know.
HIPAA regulations protect the TM and you.

I do this for a living.
Arguing with me about it is a lost cause.

All that has to happen is the TM asks HR for the accommodation based on the disability, HR can ask for medical proof (but they don't have to), and then they will tell you what accommodations to provide to the TM.

I do this for a living.
They aren't saying what the specific disability is, but HR telling them what they must do to accomodate is HR telling them something, which I think makes @Tainted Kool aid 's point. They aren't going to just go by what a TM says - the directive comes from someone in-the-know.

Had a store-wide huddle today where the new titles and such were announced to us. Was told that we get our General Merchandise title change (and I guess the $13 pay raise) on June 2nd.

so im semi pissed. their moving me from pp2 to pp1. its gonna be shorter shift for now and MAYBE some bike building hours. my TL said he wasn't doing it because of my autism but that our ETL and STL had noticed im just not "meshing" with the floor. no shit. autistic communications problems and mental drain from maintaining conversation is a bitch. then i get a complaint about how i wasn't "paying attention" to a guest. it was a hour before i left, my mind is numb by this point due to overload with guests so my autistic behaviours became a bit unmanageable. i kept working to clear a pallet and just monotoned a answer to a question. didn't realize it was a guest. target is changing from "well accommodate your differences just a bit" to "the job changed and you dont match anymore". modernization can work, but not with low hours, lack of TM support in accommodations or scheduling, etc. this is the first time in 4 years i ever felt like i was a autistic failure working here. other jobs, yes but never here. i went home and just slept and cried a bit. im a 34 year old, gone through shit, hard ass-and i cried. i cried because the thought of target, and some TL's from the responses im seeing here, is basically "fuck the autistics". im not asking for a complete work around for my job duties, im just asking for a little nudge room to help me do them.

I do this for a living.
At least in my store, HR keeps ADA accommodations very close to the vest. I have a medical restriction (documented) that prevents me from performing any task that requires prolonged exposure to cold temperatures (e.g. Collecting carts outdoors in winter). A few months ago, I was asked to do precisely that by my STL. When I mentioned my medical restriction to her, it was the first time she had heard about it. It really is only shared on a need to know basis, and most TMs do not have the need to know.

Guest Services training now. Like seriously? People apply to Flow FOR A REASON. I applied to Flow to not work behind a register, so I wouldn't have to deal with angry Karens--helping them on the floor is way different than helping behind a register. I've never worked Guest Services in my life.

Why am I suddenly being shoved here???

Still not getting more than 1 day a week. There's no way I can retain a sh*tload of new info if I only get 1 day a week.

Last edited:
Still not getting more than 1 day a week. There's no way I can retain a sh*tload of new info if I only get 1 day a week.
Its not to bad being an Guest Advocate in fact its easier than being on the floor but that involves getting used to it for some time. Something shady? Try your best to guest service and if it doesn't work let it go then write it down simple.

I see both sides of the argument. As a manager I had to train reluctant people. Some had disabilities and some were just out of their element. I observed and placed people according to their skills and abilities.

Wow it’s about money? Who knew?
And if you polish a turd whether it’s a process or an attitude- it’s still a turd. You might want to ditch the Kool aid for a more sensible beverage.
Not really sure what your point is but feel free to elaborate on the topic.

I could have opened up a whole lot of boxes when I nearly spooched that pallet on the steel. I didn’t know I couldn’t see til the near miss. You want to learn that the hard way? Crown- not my deal. But I stocked the shit out of the store for years. Targets problem is no training. Just cowboy up and drop a half ton of whatever. Good luck and believe me if there was a legal problem hr would throw you so far under the bus you’d be farting exhaust for a year.
Once again if you can't do the job we are asking, you need to move on or get canned. Just because you stock shelves great doesn't mean you a good employee.

I do this for a living.
You just told me the same thing I said HR would tell me. I don't give a crap what your disability is but they would still tell me what I would need to accommodate. Jesus thank you for providing the proof of the statement I just said. HR would tell me. Your idea that it's some big secret is false because of the law. There for if the team gives no proof of a disability there are no accommodations for your inability to interact in society. If you cant handle life stay at home and live with Mommy and Daddy.

so im semi pissed. their moving me from pp2 to pp1. its gonna be shorter shift for now and MAYBE some bike building hours. my TL said he wasn't doing it because of my autism but that our ETL and STL had noticed im just not "meshing" with the floor. no shit. autistic communications problems and mental drain from maintaining conversation is a bitch. then i get a complaint about how i wasn't "paying attention" to a guest. it was a hour before i left, my mind is numb by this point due to overload with guests so my autistic behaviours became a bit unmanageable. i kept working to clear a pallet and just monotoned a answer to a question. didn't realize it was a guest. target is changing from "well accommodate your differences just a bit" to "the job changed and you dont match anymore". modernization can work, but not with low hours, lack of TM support in accommodations or scheduling, etc. this is the first time in 4 years i ever felt like i was a autistic failure working here. other jobs, yes but never here. i went home and just slept and cried a bit. im a 34 year old, gone through shit, hard ass-and i cried. i cried because the thought of target, and some TL's from the responses im seeing here, is basically "fuck the autistics". im not asking for a complete work around for my job duties, im just asking for a little nudge room to help me do them.
I tried to accommodate my challenged TM but they out right refuse to do it. So no proof of a problem along with your in to even attempt something will cause me to lose patience with keeping you around. Of course I don't mean you in general.

They aren't saying what the specific disability is, but HR telling them what they must do to accomodate is HR telling them something, which I think makes @Tainted Kool aid 's point. They aren't going to just go by what a TM says - the directive comes from someone in-the-know.
Thank you at least someone is think logically and not just with the it's not fair attitude.

Do you know what would be a great addition to this whole modernization process? Getting equipment that actually works or replacing older pieces. I shouldn't have to do some voodoo combined with chants to get the wave to turn on every day even though it was supposedly fixed.

Back