MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.

busyzoningtoys

Closing Lead
Not saying I don't agree. This is just how we were told to do it. One thing that I have found, though, is that if capacities and SFQ are correct (and should be if EXF and audit are done correctly) is that eventually very little time is necessary for EXF and audit because pulls and freight are more accurately filling the floor and there is minimal backstock. We are a pilot store and did this at first but now walk our areas, make our plan for the day, pull and work our autofills and freight. EXF and audits are done after. We zone as we work. As far as weird counts, as a DBO we need to follow up as to why they are weird. For instance, if there are OH's that are high, but no backroom locations, check to see that there is no unlocated merch, unworked repacks, transition in the steels, etc.
Already are seeing for the most part the pulls and the freight fill the floor pretty accurately

PJ5

This is not the fore mentioned store, but I was at a sister Target today and thought I could use these pictures as a gage to negotiate that $15 hr raise NOW for our upcoming reviews. Door to the back room is backed up because a guest cart of cardboard is blocking it? Guest squeezing between vehicles and sky high pallets, most of which is groceries in the electronic dept. Coca Cola pallets in MMB aisle, why not? This was at 3:00 in the afternoon! The few tms I saw, looked so stressed that I just wanted to pat their heads and tell them they’re pretty. Modernization is working like a charm.
Oh my goodness 👀 . If it wasn't for the red I would think that was my local Walmart. That “situation” in those pictures should only be happening around store open and store close, never during main shopping hours.

Last edited:
My TL and ETL Log have said they are no longer going to be helping much, if at all, with the truck unload. They said they will instead be doing other tasks. Does anyone know what new responsibilities they have before the store opens?
I don't know specifically what each has to do now however I remember reading something about how their jobs are only to make sure that goals are met, not to actually do the work. Before our TL and ETL would help out on the line, sort repacks, keep the boxes pushed down on the line. Soon it sounds like they'll just be slave drivers.

BoxCutter

Cut hard. Cut deep.
Why the fuck would you EXF and audit BEFORE pushing the truck? Trailer gets acknowledged, that product should mostly be considered ‘on the floor’ at that point, right? So you have an out, system says 4 on the floor but there aren’t any, so you EXF/audit it, and you pull the batch and get the 3 of that item that you from the back. Then you push your u boats and there’s a casepack of 4 of that very item, and 4 fit. Now you’ve wasted time scanning and pulling and pushing that product that, if you had done truck first, you would have just filled the floor directly.

Am I missing something?
I can only speak from an Electronics view point, but it works well for us.

The sales floor is looking much better zone and stock wise.

Here is some of the logic as it was explained to us:

We shoot EXFs as we zone because we want product out of the backroom to sell first rather than the newer product off the truck (this, theoretically, helps Market the most with getting dated product out of the backroom). Also, it, again in theory, helps free up Waco space in the back and cut down on backstocking time of truck push. Here is a simplified example, say the location has a capacity of three and I have three of this product stowed in three different locations in the backroom and there is a case of Six on the truck. Shooting and pulling the EXF first clears the Waco locations, helps fill the floor, and frees up backroom locations.

The only problem is not enough hours. I will actually go back and shoot the manual audit in an aisle because by the time the truck is finished and backstocked, there is no time for the closer to do it. I only audit OHs of zero, because the EXF will bring out what is located in the backroom and Audit won't let you adjust counts for any item already in a batch or on the truck.

Again, for us in Electronics it is working well, not perfect. For instance, our printer ink aisle used to have many holes, now there are only four or five at any given time.

Market is struggling because of the amount of hours given v. amount of product.

So... Who builds bikes during modernization? Because we got a shit ton piled up in the back. It's been in the late 70s and early 80s here recently. Bikes have been on sale but the bike wall is damn near empty.
In our store it's our receiver. I'm not sure if it's always been them or not or if it's something new. I guess I was under the assumption that there was an outside company that came around and did it but our TL told us to 'throw the box over to receiving and hopefully he can get it built sometime today.'

So... Who builds bikes during modernization? Because we got a shit ton piled up in the back. It's been in the late 70s and early 80s here recently. Bikes have been on sale but the bike wall is damn near empty.
We have close to 40 bikes in the back w clearance stickers on them. $150 or so originally down to $50. Not sure why they aren't built or sent somewhere but they are taking up a ton of space and people I'm sure would buy them up.

DBO of bikes and whatever other part of sporting goods their TL has assigned to them. At our store this is our former bike builder. To be honest, the bike wall now looks better than it ever has.

Oh my goodness 👀 . If it wasn't for the red I would think that was my local Walmart. That “situation” in those pictures should only be happening around store open and store close, never during main shopping hours.
I assume the buzzer went off for the 4 hour shift, so everything was left as is. It didn’t look like they could have shoved anything back into that warehouse if they tried. The dam had been broken.

no nix nein

Queen of the Weekend Warriors
DBO of bikes and whatever other part of sporting goods their TL has assigned to them. At our store this is our former bike builder. To be honest, the bike wall now looks better than it ever has.
That is awesome. Our sporting goods person just knows to how push and pull, that is it.

We still have bikes that came in Dec on the same pallets. Got rid of a few cause of inventory. Missed price change salvage.

no nix nein

Queen of the Weekend Warriors
In our store it's our receiver. I'm not sure if it's always been them or not or if it's something new. I guess I was under the assumption that there was an outside company that came around and did it but our TL told us to 'throw the box over to receiving and hopefully he can get it built sometime today.'
Our receiver doesn't even get enough time to do her own job let alone build some bikes. We use to have toy and electronics team members do it, then they moved on to other positions and never trained anyone else.

Here is a simplified example, say the location has a capacity of three and I have three of this product stowed in three different locations in the backroom and there is a case of Six on the truck. Shooting and pulling the EXF first clears the Waco locations, helps fill the floor, and frees up backroom locations.
If products are being backstocked across multiple wacos, that's the problem that needs to be addressed.

band_rules16

Former Wave Master
If products are being backstocked across multiple wacos, that's the problem that needs to be addressed.
I will admit, I'm guilty of this. I think it's a time issue. If I'm not rushed, I'll take the time to find the location where other product is. But with lack of hours, I'm not surprised backstock is such a mess. I don't like doing it, but at least it's located. I'd love to go through and organize everything (or at least my area's aisles) but that would take a year or two.

I will admit, I'm guilty of this. I think it's a time issue. If I'm not rushed, I'll take the time to find the location where other product is. But with lack of hours, I'm not surprised backstock is such a mess. I don't like doing it, but at least it's located. I'd love to go through and organize everything (or at least my area's aisles) but that would take a year or two.
There's definitely a point where it's too out of control to fix but if it's that bad, I think the time spent on scanning EXFs to pull it all every day would be better spent purging and re-backstocking properly so the backroom would just need maintenance tune-ups as you go. Like, I had my backroom area perfect for a short while and when i was backstocking and found someone else had stowed something in a second waco, I could easily pull and combine it as I went. Remodel came through and destroyed all that, though!

busyzoningtoys

Closing Lead
There's definitely a point where it's too out of control to fix but if it's that bad, I think the time spent on scanning EXFs to pull it all every day would be better spent purging and re-backstocking properly so the backroom would just need maintenance tune-ups as you go. Like, I had my backroom area perfect for a short while and when i was backstocking and found someone else had stowed something in a second waco, I could easily pull and combine it as I went. Remodel came through and destroyed all that, though!
The first thing we did when we first started getting ahead of this modernization stuff is we purged the entire back room over the course of 2 weeks. After the purge and backstock, we audited. It started us off on the right foot, and with a clean and mostly empty back room.

The first thing we did when we first started getting ahead of this modernization stuff is we purged the entire back room over the course of 2 weeks. After the purge and backstock, we audited. It started us off on the right foot, and with a clean and mostly empty back room.
Our backroom is packed. Nowhere to purge it, unless we purge it into the compactor. For example, I pushed a type of Tide. The floor is full, but we still have cases and cases in the back. Just one example. I did start on the paper today.

Our backroom is packed. Nowhere to purge it, unless we purge it into the compactor. For example, I pushed a type of Tide. The floor is full, but we still have cases and cases in the back. Just one example. I did start on the paper today.
Suggestion, kill any endcaps that have dual locations. It'll help get alot of stuff out. We have 3 detergent endcaps and theyre always selling.

That's what we're struggling with, we weren't able to get a good purge before this all hit, and since we rolled this out right at the start of Q4 we never got a chance to get ahead. We've been able to do a few aisles here and there, but it's been very difficult to get much done when we have 2k+ peice trucks every day. Tomorrow we have a 1300, which will feel like a non truck day, so my plan is to try and purge all of paper if possible and update it.

busyzoningtoys

Closing Lead
That's what we're struggling with, we weren't able to get a good purge before this all hit, and since we rolled this out right at the start of Q4 we never got a chance to get ahead. We've been able to do a few aisles here and there, but it's been very difficult to get much done when we have 2k+ peice trucks every day. Tomorrow we have a 1300, which will feel like a non truck day, so my plan is to try and purge all of paper if possible and update it.
Yeah, we don’t have non truck days, and our average truck is around 2000. A 1300 is a nice break indeed.

At my store we used to have someone who would come in once a week for a bike building shift . When he quit our PMT built them for a while. Now we have an electronics TM and a GSA who will occasionally come back to build bikes.

Does anyone know what TL’s will be responsible for once modernization hits? I’ve been told that they will be owning an area, but I thought that’s what sales floor team members were gonna be doing.im just confused at what the difference between them will be

Does anyone know what TL’s will be responsible for once modernization hits? I’ve been told that they will be owning an area, but I thought that’s what sales floor team members were gonna be doing.im just confused at what the difference between them will be
We own the planning, strategy, training, holding team accountable and other stuff of the new "process" we are no longer supposed to jump in and do the work. You drive results through planning and crap. I still help though if I know the workload to big for the team. You supposed be spending your day planning out upcoming pogs/salesplanners, schedules, watching your employees work and coaching when results are not met or you see them not greet a guest. You are to train your team on EVERYTHING but not be given training hours or if you have training hours which other of your departments will you take those hours from. Picture the TL basically like playing a strategy video game and the workers our your in game characters. You have to choose what and when things get updated or researched. You have to conserve resources as they are limited so you need to use them wisely. If you balance everything out you can last long in the video game. If you mess up or kill one of your characters your game may end early. I'm a hands on team lead and I feel like I will be getting in trouble soon if I'm caught helping my team. 😔

So I've been shopping at our sister store more often because I work closer to it now, and I realized yesterday that I've never once been greeted or even acknowledged by TMs there! Or by TLs/ETLs, some of whom I remember from when they being trained at my store. And this store houses the district offices too, lol.