MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
A psych ward?
Really?
That is how you see working with people who have disabilities?
Ableism much?
The sad thing is that I absolutely believe Spot sees it the same way as that user. I mean, in the 4+ years at my current store I've seen one physically disabled person employed. And his hours have been cut to nothing despite being one of the top performers. There's definitely an increasing push for a certain "type" of employee hired now and diversity/inclusivity is not a part of it.

I was at another local Target this morning and finally witnessed aisles being blocked in the back of the sales floor. 9:30 in the morning and still unloading. I believe this store is even further behind on modernization than my store and a bunch of TMs were still using tubs. I'm glad my ETL log want's a clean sales floor by 8am

Attachments

• 20190425_091723.jpg
    20190425_091723.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
  • 20190425_091747.jpg
    20190425_091747.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
Been watching this thread for a while and it is beginning to piss me off.

No, it is not Spot's fault that someone has sensory issues however federal law under the ADA states that they do have to provide reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities so that they can carry out their job duties.
This can include changing the perimeters of the duties, allowing breaks when needed, providing AT tools, and changing the methods of supervising.
This is the fucking law.

Other fun facts from ENFORCEMENT GUIDANCE: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION AND UNDUE HARDSHIP UNDER THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT - https://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/accommodation.html#requesting

To request accommodation, an individual may use "plain English" and need not mention the ADA or use the phrase "reasonable accommodation."

Requests for reasonable accommodation do not need to be in writing. Individuals may request accommodations in conversation or may use any other mode of communication.

An individual with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application process or during the period of employment. The ADA does not preclude an employee with a disability from requesting a reasonable accommodation because s/he did not ask for one when applying for a job or after receiving a job offer. Rather, an individual with a disability should request a reasonable accommodation when s/he knows that there is a workplace barrier that is preventing him/her, due to a disability, from effectively competing for a position, performing a job, or gaining equal access to a benefit of employment.

The employer can ask the individual for reasonable documentation about his/her disability and functional limitations however, an employer cannot ask for documentation when: (1) both the disability and the need for reasonable accommodation are obvious, or (2) the individual has already provided the employer with sufficient information to substantiate that s/he has an ADA disability and needs the reasonable accommodation requested.

An employer should respond expeditiously to a request for reasonable accommodation. If the employer and the individual with a disability need to engage in an interactive process, this too should proceed as quickly as possible.

An employer may not force a qualified individual with a disability to accept an accommodation.

An employer must provide a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability that will enable the individual to have an equal opportunity to participate in the application process and to be considered for a job

It is a reasonable accommodation to modify a workplace policy when necessitated by an individual's disability-related limitations.
You never really understand the need for ADA accommodations until they apply to you or someone you care about. The struggle is more than real. May some of you never be judged as you are judging others.

I was at another local Target this morning and finally witnessed aisles being blocked in the back of the sales floor. 9:30 in the morning and still unloading. I believe this store is even further behind on modernization than my store and a bunch of TMs were still using tubs. I'm glad my ETL log want's a clean sales floor by 8am

The unload process is supposed to take this long, if not longer, with the new super-sort.

We haven’t had the floor clean by 8 since we started a later unload time of 630. Truck is still being unloaded at 8 most of the time.

A neighboring store unloads at 7 or 730, so being clean by 8 would really be impossibly for them.

I swear, our truck was just unloaded and left yesterday. I don't think anyone worked any vehicles. It was ALL still in the back, on the line, when I came into close last night. I heard our DTL was not happy about the state of the backroom and I am so hoping it will change.

I'm training in my new area and I'm slightly freaking out about it, but I keep reminding myself I'm only giving Spot a max of 25 hours a week this summer (if I can get it). I'm also hoping to have a full time job for the school year so I can leave Spot by then. (My backup plan is to transfer to wherever there is one if I can get a job that gives me health insurance also.)

I've spoken with a few salesfloor TMs (excuse me...GM) and some tell me they like the fact they can do their own pulls and backstock. It gives them a break from guests to be in the back for a bit and I agree with it. Those of us with anxiety can take some time to not be fully inundated with guests or other TMs. It's not a disability issue (that I know of).

Ah, yes, Electronics and Entertainment, the dumping grounds for everything. And, soon to be the dumping grounds for Pets when this remodel is completed at my store.

I've struggled getting close to the green goal for over a month, can't figure out why. Was green all the time last year till we stopped for 4th quarter.
Is someone going through the report on non-scan days and fixing the counts? When we do that we are usually green with the scan the next week.

We piloted the process last year and fourth quarter was a complete disaster. I get Target was doing good sales wise, but when we pull 30 flats of 90% off seasonal/salvage due to logistics neglect I feel we could have made more money. Not to mention all other pull/backroom processes were completely neglected. Nothing came out of the back until January when no one was buying.

There was no ownership. It was always put out this fire or put out that fire. We robbed Peter to pay Paul. It was knee jerk reactions to everything everyday. We hid truck freight in empty trailers to make it appear like the process was working. No one wanted to hear constructive feedback.

Every day I said "This can't get any worse, can it?" but to my amazement it did. It's not even forth quarter here, or even BTS season, and it is already a complete shit-show. It will be interesting to see how bad it gets this year. Especially since we lost most of our good people during the pilot period. I feel bad for the new employees who have the experience the chaos come fourth quarter.

The photo below is a normal day.

Attachments

• i4DQuuL.jpg
    i4DQuuL.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Can DTLs fire vendors too? Apparently this Coke vendor said “F this. No room to move in the back room, so I’ll just leave my pallets in MMB”. In their defense, this was the only aisle left that wasn’t already blocked w flatsView attachment 7782
The vendor would be in
I would never put a double stacked pallet of bales on the floor. After all these years I still nervous moving them in the backroom.

I didnt even have any of these complaints until modernization set in. I'm someone who learns a bit more slowly than others...which was fine when I was doing just sorting repacks and stocking. It's easy enough.

The problems started when they started messing around with how we were supposed to sort repacks. Then they stopped letting us use carts. Then they started moving everyone around and slashing hours. Then expecting everyone to do all these new things with no training.

The backroom people are grumpy and rude about all this as well, for good reason I suppose, but it makes it hard to ask them for any kind of help. Which everyone has to do since everything is fubar in the backroom now.

Everything has changed and just because I'm a little bit slower on the draw I guess I'm one of the ones tagged for being shoved out the door.

If I could go back to 10.50 an hour and just shove boxes I would. I realize I can't and I am trying to adjust but I'm not freaking Flash.

It would also help if I worked in the same place every day but I've given up on that. I'm not even going to go on about how the guests want their hands held for everything, further slowing me down...
You guys still have a backroom team?

Spot is a very large company.
Undue hardship is only for small companies where they can prove that it can hurt them financially to provide the accommodation.
To change one policy, for one individual, is not a hardship, it is just annoying to you.
Difficult would be if it changes the entire nature of the job, however job carving does exist.
Creating jobs specifically targeted to the strengths of the person with a disability within a company is fairly common in countries in Europe.
We used to do it here.
Then we decided, fuck people with disabilities money is all that matters.

A psych ward?
Really?
That is how you see working with people who have disabilities?
Ableism much?
That is going to be tough to respond to but here goes.

The numbers show that people with disabilities are the most reliable employees.
They have the lowest rate of call outs and are loyal as hell to the companies who hire them.
It is proven that giving the accommodations are well worth the cost in the long run.

Working with people who have disabilities has proven to be a positive experience for coworkers and supervisors (at least the ones who get their heads out out their asses).
They develop a better understanding other people and the cultures they live in (deaf culture for example) as well as being able to help customers with disabilities better.
By providing the accommodations companies are often able to better see the nature of jobs and what are asked of the employees. There have even been cases where they have restructured the jobs because of the accommodations, when they realized the jobs had unnecessary components.
You never really understand the need for ADA accommodations until they apply to you or someone you care about. The struggle is more than real. May some of you never be judged as you are judging others.
Sorry but a team member telling me they don't like working with the public but provides no documents to back up a medical condition gets no accommodations. Same as someone telling me they don't want to learn the wave or the bailer because they are scared to even try it. No doctors excuse to why you can't, you get no slack from me or target. I never ask any team member to do anything I would not do myself. We have two team members that require ADA and we do because you know what? we have the proof and documents to back it up. They get their hours also they are not cut and they perform their job to the best of their ability. But to you can't work for a company and say I won't do cash register because I'm scared or I won't back stock because I'm not tall or strong enough. It's funny how you think I'm judging people with disability but no one has ever shown me proof or my HR they are disabled. The just say they won't do a certain task for what ever reason. By the way I have a child with autism, but I have a diagnosis and would not expect a company to bend for him instead I would want him to work a job that he is comfortable doing and can do. Most disabled people I know don't want to be treated "differently" anyway. If you can't do the job or even show me an ounce of proof that you have a disability, why should I accommodate you. What if I say I'm scared of everything is target supposed to let me go into a dark room my whole shift and still get paid for it. You have to to draw the line if people won't give proof because your disability just ends up being an excuse to get out of doing work. Also the people on here complaining about being cut to 5 hours.. if you truly are disabled and can prove it there are plenty of resources for you to go after target. Be your own advocate, stop hoping target will cure your depression or social anxiety.

i just wish more people would realize that they are employed by a private company & they might have to just do what their employer says or find another job. You just can’t expect to make the rules everywhere you go or that the rules are going to bend for you bc of anything & that is life. mine hasn’t been easy & I haven’t had the same privileges as some people so I’ve had to Fight twice as hard for everything I have, & it feels unfair because at the end of the day, life’s not fair for most...& it really sucks.

If you are just a TL, you aren't necessarily going to know if someone has a disability.
They don't have to tell you as long as they have talked to the people who matter.
The amount of discrimination people face on a daily basis means they only have to tell a minimum number of people and if they tell anyone else without permission they can be sued.
You just have to make the adjustments necessary for them.
You say that people with disabilities don't want to be treated differently.
Not allowing them to have jobs or to be part of society is certainly treating them differently.
The unemployment rate for people with disabilities runs around 50% and is getting worse with companies moving towards all jobs being multiple multitasking.

Nobody wants Spot to fix their disabilities.
What they want is to not be treated like second class citizens and be given the same opportunities to thrive as everyone else.

I work with people who are in the Autism Spectrum every day.
Just like the rest of us they vary widely in their skills and abilities.
The one thing that we have found is that a supportive employer that recognizes the positive contributions they bring makes all the difference in the world.
My cousin lives in Israel where everyone serves two years in the military.
The IDF has a unit for people in the AS.
If active military can accommodate people with disabilities, Spot sure as fuck can.

If you are just a TL you, you aren't necessarily going to know if someone has a disability.
They don't have to tell you as long as they have talked to the people who matter.
The amount of discrimination people face on a daily basis means they only have to tell a minimum number of people and if they tell anyone else without permission they can be sued.
Not allowing them to have jobs or to be part of society is certainly treating them differently.
The unemployment rate for people with disabilities runs around 50% and is getting worse with companies moving towards all jobs being multiple multitasking.

What they want is to not be treated like second class citizens and be given the same opportunities to thrive as everyone else.

The one thing that we have found is that a supportive employer that recognizes the positive contributions they bring makes all the difference in the world.
If active military can accommodate people with disabilities, Spot sure as fuck can.
^This 100%. Thank you. 😊

If you are just a TL you, you aren't necessarily going to know if someone has a disability.

I mean to be really nitpicky the IDF is in the Middle East, actively fighting for the defense of their country, which is their holy land. Of course they'll find a unit for people on the spectrum,.

That said I get your point.

I have no idea how to look up annual sales (if someone could tell me that would be helpful!). But anyway, if a store currently has 6-8 million in sales, would you say they are considered high or low volume?

Back