MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just curious, is there a way to tell what store the district office is in? Thinking of the stores around here, I think it would be in the highest volume store

That is definitely not the case my store is the lowest volume store in our district and the district office is at my store.

Someone should tell my store then, because we're not doing this yet.

I wonder when this will all be put into practice. First I was told March, then April--and now I'm hearing about May and August. What's the holdup, I wonder?
Actually the modernization process calls for HBA repacks to be on a separate U boat on the PP2 side of the line. The thought process is that you are only slowing one tm down that way. I have 3 HBA tms and 2 work cases while the third works repacks. I would love to be able to further sort HBA repacks also until modernization catches up in the DCs. Just have to keep working on how best to do it...we'll see. I'm old school and my team is motivated so I know we can do it if it's possible.

I have 13.5 hours this week and got lectured about how my area is behind in signing. There are maybe 4 people in all of softlines who've even been trained to do signing. And when we ask if we could maybe get some training, they say sure, and it never happens, and then they continue to complain that it isn't getting done. Modernization is working out really well for us, I think.

I have 13.5 hours this week and got lectured about how my area is behind in signing. There are maybe 4 people in all of softlines who've even been trained to do signing. And when we ask if we could maybe get some training, they say sure, and it never happens, and then they continue to complain that it isn't getting done. Modernization is working out really well for us, I think.

Modernization = Brian cutting payroll and costs to drive up profits and thus stock prices. Then take the money and bail.

So today, the new org chart was posted by the time clocks (for reasons unknown, we currently have two). Apparently, we have gone from a C to B volume store, resulting in three new TL positions being created. Since I am still not on the bench, or even under serious consideration for being on the bench, this is mostly moot for me. But one of the soon to be former GSAs I know has been on the bench for over a year, and she was not even spoken to about them. One was filled with a transfer from the next closest store. As for the other two, the promoted who they promoted.

So today, the new org chart was posted by the time clocks (for reasons unknown, we currently have two). Apparently, we have gone from a C to B volume store, resulting in three new TL positions being created. Since I am still not on the bench, or even under serious consideration for being on the bench, this is mostly moot for me. But one of the soon to be former GSAs I know has been on the bench for over a year, and she was not even spoken to about them. One was filled with a transfer from the next closest store. As for the other two, the promoted who they promoted.
Maybe that GSA isn’t on the bench anymore and no one informed her?

From my own personal experience, our Uboats are labeled to say what goes where. For example: Let's say it's a three shelved uboat and A11-A12 would be on top A13-14 and so on. I like having my uboat next to me which helps, only time it doesn't help is when doing repacks and you have stuff from all over mixed in, especially when they are #4 repacks.
Ours are labeled too. However, say the middle shelf is the heaviest push, as it fills, the cases for the middle will be put on the top or bottom shelf. Then add repacks. So while being able to keep the uboat at arm's length is nice in theory, it doesn't always work in practice.
What I do is park it in front of a less used section at the back end of the aisle. Yes it's a few more steps, but I open, break down boxes as I'm walking. Yes, I still have to shuffle it at times depending on what I'm pushing and guest traffic. But timing wise? I'm still finishing up pretty darn close to expectations.

I wish he would hurry up and bail. Maybe then we can get rid of this Modernization crap.

It never fails to amaze me how much CEOs receive for putting their companys under. JC Penney, Sears, TRU, etc. They make millions and get bonuses yet the company is losing millions. Yet TMs are fired for not pushing fast enough as half their shift is spent helping guests or finding items that are supposed to be on the floor but is actually in a HBA repacks from last week's truck.

As long as the stockholders are happy, CEOs make out like bandits, and the corporations cut TM hours and benefits to keep them happy. Then when stockholders are no longer happy, CEOs grab their golden parachutes, make out like bandits again, and the TMs in the stores get their hours cut again to make the company look more profitable and attract more stockholders. Meanwhile the companies go belly up and everyone not involved wonders what happened...

ASANTS. Maybe the rest of us have more employees than hours to go around. 🤷🏽‍♀️
staffing levels vary for sureee. i’ve worked in two metropolitan markets and my previous store struggled to keep JAS applicants in “pending” to below 50, compared to my current store where applicants (let alone qualified ones) are difficult to come by.

The idea of End to End/Modernization was that individual tms owned an area. Ok. Well and good. Except that in my case I owned my department but only had a few hours a week to take care of it. While I was gone other nameless tms dumped reshop, unworked truck and what not in my ‘department’. No sanctions. So a huge mess every day. I had no way to control it. But I was damned sure expected to make it right. Why End to End didn’t work for me.

Can't say I blame you. I had to do a bunch of pulls for carseats for those pallets we're supposed to put out today. Took me hours, most of which was rearranging the full uboats, softlines racks, and other miscellaneous crap in the way every single time I needed to move the wave 3 feet to the next location. Getting the 2 full pallets of 2 particular car seats with the stacker was even better.

I should set up a camera in the backroom and figure out how many man hours are wasted in a day from just rearranging the crap to get through to do what should be a simple task. I bet it's easily enough to pay for a backroom person to help clean it, or a stocker to help push it.

The funny thing is there already is a camera in the back room and Target has 24 hour access to that footage and can totally see how many man hours are wasted but that just makes too much sense for Cornell’s “new culture”

We piloted the process last year and fourth quarter was a complete disaster. I get Target was doing good sales wise, but when we pull 30 flats of 90% off seasonal/salvage due to logistics neglect I feel we could have made more money. Not to mention all other pull/backroom processes were completely neglected. Nothing came out of the back until January when no one was buying.

There was no ownership. It was always put out this fire or put out that fire. We robbed Peter to pay Paul. It was knee jerk reactions to everything everyday. We hid truck freight in empty trailers to make it appear like the process was working. No one wanted to hear constructive feedback.

Every day I said "This can't get any worse, can it?" but to my amazement it did. It's not even forth quarter here, or even BTS season, and it is already a complete shit-show. It will be interesting to see how bad it gets this year. Especially since we lost most of our good people during the pilot period. I feel bad for the new employees who have the experience the chaos come fourth quarter.

The photo below is a normal day.

Same over here man. Part of me wishes I did t work as hard as I did during fourth quarter to help them cover up this mess. We did the same thing with the empty trailers. Every time we had a visit the day before was all hands on deck so we could hide the issues and seem on track but right when corporate and or district walked out of those doors it was back to the chaos

You and me both, although I do health & personal care. There's no way I can move my u-boat from one aisle to the next, moving through my whole area just one time.
Also, I'm on the part of the line where soft lines repacks are opened to see what stack they go in. Had a couple of green repacks today with shoes AND hanging AND folded in it. Really?! Not sure if that's better or worse than a green repack with exactly 1 item in it.
I wish we could all see a video of a shift at the DC that sends us stuff; seriously, I'd really like to see how it works so I could better understand why we get repacks like we do. There has to be a reason, right?

Not much of what goes down at DC makes much sense. I have worked the truck unload ever shift, 5 days a week for 5 years and have honestly seen some of the most bassackwards illogical thinking in the way the load the trailers. I’m talking pallets of cat liter on top of pallets of dog food mixed with glass jars of pasta sauce and baby food. Jars of pickles on top of furniture at the very top of the truck almost nailing someone in the lead. Chemical cases upside down ruining lots of items. Too many shenanigans go down at D.C

Is the info available anywhere in this thread (or somewhere, workbench, I dunno) about like... what TL positions exist now per store volume? I was in the pipeline for a position that doesn't exist anymore and I'm trying to figure out if there's other options at my store or if I should be looking at bigger stores.

I remember when Flow team owned the unload, the bowl, the stock. Green by eight. Backroom was Clean. We owned the Store. Every. Day. Clean.

Yeah buddy. I would give anything to go back to that. They can take that 1 dollar and shove it up there ass. I’d take the pay cut if I could still do overnight flow. Oh and let’s not forget to mention that there was a POG team and all revisions and transitions were done overnight and looked great by 8. It’s so tacky looking now when they are resetting isles with the store open. Once agin losing sales because people don’t want to shop down isles full of chaos.

And they are losing more sales because while the aisles are full of u-boats the shelves are still empty. Went to my neighboring store today. No chicken, one package of chops ready to expire, and the cheese aisle looked like it was just devastated by a plague of locusts. I don’t know how Spot expects to keep guests coming back when they can’t even keep the basics on the shelves. Thanks for nothing, Modernization.

Back