MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Which means the p1 team does the rest of the inload, p2 team does p1, and inbound the next morning has to finish up P2 before starting the unload. Never get ahead.

Ya know. Your post just made a lightbulb go off in my mind. Maybe never getting ahead is the point. It seems to be the common theme in every department now. Softlines? Buried. Market? Buried. Unload? Buried. POG? Barely treading water when they used to be a week ahead.

Maybe some brilliant mind at corporate thought that if people get ahead they could be tempted to waste time and get complacent. But now, there are NEVER enough hours in a day for anyone. Some people respond by working harder. Others maybe just stress and don't have as much fun as they used to (which to corporate, fun is bad because that's time that should be spent working)

I'm only half serious here, but it does make me wonder if maybe that's one of the things they're going for. Because at this rate, even if we did a full store blitz and managed to get the week+ worth of softlines repacks pushed and the line totally cleared, it would just end up back how it is in 2 weeks because we were totally clean when this all started.

Has anyone else noticed a shift where in the beginning of the new payroll month they load up hours and at the end there is nothing. Before at least at my store it was opposite no hours at first then suddenly we need to burn 400hrs at the end

The later is how it should go; if they give out more hours at the beginning they are not balancing hours right where in the end they have exceeded their hours to give out. Somebody is not doing something right.

I know your post was a couple of days old but I feel like this is an important point to reiterate that I haven't seen others mention.

Those steps back to my vehicle were always done while breaking down the previous casepack. So it wasn't totally unproductive time like some people make it out to be. It's really a comparison between walking while breaking down box or breaking down box in a space restricted area and having to move for almost every guest.

Now, sure, some people might walk extremely slow. Others might be "more tired" at the end of a shift from the extra steps. But for those of us who are used to moving quickly, even having to move the uboat a couple of times makes the overall process slower than breaking down the box while walking to retrieve the next. Best case scenario, with no guests, it would be the same speed as compared to 1 vehicle at the end of the aisle, but still probably slightly slower than having a 2nd vehicle for trash and backstock like I used to. (Having to work around your trash and backstock on the same vehicle is a pain in some areas with a lot of trash, and in most areas with really full uboats)
I use to do the same . A smart cart for storing your back stock and trash helps a lot and keep the aisle look clean while we push. Only time they won’t allow us to do is during some visits. It’s supposed to be one vehicle per aisle .

Easy don't change the pin lock so the driver has to ring the bell or call the store, Have ETL actually talk to the driver. Or slap the pin lock on the empty so he grabs that one instead of the one at the wrong dock..
That’s what we would do. Red pin locks force the driver to talk to someone inside. They don’t like it but such is life. I’ve gotten a couple times where it was a non target driver Q4 and he refused and ended up just leaving the load in a bay that was impossible to unload from and then left without the empty so we had all three bays full and the truck we needed to unload was in the far bay. Operations director had to get us a new driver lol

Curious to see how this end-to-end works out with all the seasonal TMs during the holidays. There's not enough time to properly teach pushing, backstocking, where things are at in the store, and everything else. Our BR shelves are already staring to not be organized, though most times it's much easier to walk through the valley

Has anyone else noticed a shift where in the beginning of the new payroll month they load up hours and at the end there is nothing. Before at least at my store it was opposite no hours at first then suddenly we need to burn 400hrs at the end
Happens at my store monthly. They never learn how to schedule hours properly.

oh so good today. i have 1 more shift left. went in for my 3 hour. started doing my work and was curious as to why we were down 4 tms on unload. i assumed they were sick. nope. many of the new hires took 2 weeks of truck and noped out. the common complaint is "there's no hours and i have to do more work than my old job wanted a man ager to do". ha ha ha. as much as i liked working here, the turnover rate and feedback has been horrible. my TL finally cracked today, wide eyed and all, when he realized most of us long termers are going elsewhere and he cant keep new hires either. i feel a bit for him, but target done fucked the pooch with this new modernization model.

Ya know. Your post just made a lightbulb go off in my mind. Maybe never getting ahead is the point. It seems to be the common theme in every department now. Softlines? Buried. Market? Buried. Unload? Buried. POG? Barely treading water when they used to be a week ahead.

Maybe some brilliant mind at corporate thought that if people get ahead they could be tempted to waste time and get complacent. But now, there are NEVER enough hours in a day for anyone. Some people respond by working harder. Others maybe just stress and don't have as much fun as they used to (which to corporate, fun is bad because that's time that should be spent working)

I'm only half serious here, but it does make me wonder if maybe that's one of the things they're going for. Because at this rate, even if we did a full store blitz and managed to get the week+ worth of softlines repacks pushed and the line totally cleared, it would just end up back how it is in 2 weeks because we were totally clean when this all started.
More than anything, I've noticed people who used to rush to make sure they came clean work slower now, because it's not like they'll come clean either way, so why stress? Our poor Plano team gets 60 hours between the two of them to set 140 hours worth of POGs (and the adjacency calendar hours still don't count working pulls or backstocking as part of the POG hours). How is that supposed to work?!

More than anything, I've noticed people who used to rush to make sure they came clean work slower now, because it's not like they'll come clean either way, so why stress?

There's no incentive to come clean. Any TM that does so is being scheduled for more hours than needed for their workcenter so they can either expect their hours to be cut on future schedules or to be given even more areas of responsibility. Perhaps both.

More than anything, I've noticed people who used to rush to make sure they came clean work slower now, because it's not like they'll come clean either way, so why stress? Our poor Plano team gets 60 hours between the two of them to set 140 hours worth of POGs (and the adjacency calendar hours still don't count working pulls or backstocking as part of the POG hours). How is that supposed to work?!

Don't try telling anyone with 1/8 of a brain that the adjacency calendar doesn't account for pulls and backstocking. They just stare at you like you are a holographic image who's speaking in a foreign tongue. Then it clicks in their pea brain, and they mumble something like .... yes it does. Or, it's an implied task. Or whatever.

My guess is, they've never set the Ultra premium dog food pog and had a 75 task pull.

Don't try telling anyone with 1/8 of a brain that the adjacency calendar doesn't account for pulls and backstocking. They just stare at you like you are a holographic image who's speaking in a foreign tongue. Then it clicks in their pea brain, and they mumble something like .... yes it does. Or, it's an implied task. Or whatever.

My guess is, they've never set the Ultra premium dog food pog and had a 75 task pull.

Or Kids Tabletop. 127 DPCIs which took me 4 trips to the backroom to pull it all because my allotted one cart was a tiered cart which was not big enough for one go.

Also, fuck. I am setting Ultra Premium tomorrow. 😒

Is part of modernization eliminating the clearance rear end caps? The two Targets near me hardly ever have clearance set up on them, but we still use them at my store.

More than anything, I've noticed people who used to rush to make sure they came clean work slower now, because it's not like they'll come clean either way, so why stress?

Basically me. We have to help the guests now, a lot more so than before, and given that we now start waaaaaaaaaay later than we used to, it's essentially impossible to get things fully done. The truck might get finished on a good day, but the pulls get stacked up horribly and most people have to go home by the time we'd normally be getting around to them.

At our store we call ourselves the “OGs” lol.
We talk about “the wave”. Will never see that again. And there are very view of us left. Sad days.
So I'm pretty sure nobody on my inbound team knows how to use the register, myself included. Is this common at other stores?
Those were better times back then.
Those days are now stories that will start with "back when I was young...". We will tell the tales to newly hired youngins', who will laugh and call us daft.

Yesterday was the first time I felt the management vs. Tm split. It really does seem like management sees tms as problems and not part of any team. So guess what, I'll start treating management as what they really are .... suck ass liars who would sell gasoline spiked with Roundup in baby bottles to starving infants. Especially that mouth shitter known as the ETL hr.

Is part of modernization eliminating the clearance rear end caps? The two Targets near me hardly ever have clearance set up on them, but we still use them at my store.
I wonder if the two other stores are even pricing their clearance (or working it out of the Back Room?) -- aka maybe they are behind in the workload.
We had a LOT of clearance after Easter but once all that salvaged....we have too many empty endcaps, way too little clearance right now in hardlines.

Back