MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Question for Modernization Pilot Stores: Home dept. under Style Lead.... Day One. I met with our Style Lead, we set up a daily/weekly routine, discussed expectations, asked questions back and forth, etc. I felt very good about it all as I have been doing this job for a few months already, just with a Hardlines Team Leader. The General Merchandise Lead had other things for me to do which took time from what my Style Lead wanted completed and also took time from being in Home and generating sales there. How is your store handling this? Home is scheduled as "hardlines", so I understand where the general merchandise lead is coming from, yet it is not how the role was explained nor what my Style Lead expected.

Question for Modernization Pilot Stores: Home dept. under Style Lead.... Day One. I met with our Style Lead, we set up a daily/weekly routine, discussed expectations, asked questions back and forth, etc. I felt very good about it all as I have been doing this job for a few months already, just with a Hardlines Team Leader. The General Merchandise Lead had other things for me to do which took time from what my Style Lead wanted completed and also took time from being in Home and generating sales there. How is your store handling this? Home is scheduled as "hardlines", so I understand where the general merchandise lead is coming from, yet it is not how the role was explained nor what my Style Lead expected.

Scheduling is the issue. If your in the pilot you should be scheduled under Visual Merch when doing Home and Hardlines when doing any other area. Style will own you when your under VM and General Merch will own you when you are in Hardlines.

My understanding is at our store the Style lead owns service and sales in SL. The GM lead owns service and sales in hard lines (home). The VM owns only the visual merchandising in SL and Home.

Scheduling is the issue. If your in the pilot you should be scheduled under Visual Merch when doing Home and Hardlines when doing any other area. Style will own you when your under VM and General Merch will own you when you are in Hardlines.
I am supposed to only do Home ... now known as Style Consultant. I talked to our Store Lead about this today and was told that she wasn't sure about how to schedule me and would look into how to best do this, but Visual Merch makes a lot of sense. I'll suggest this tomorrow. Thanks.
Can they schedule Visual Merch/softlines vs Visual Merch/hardlines or is it just Visual Merch?

I am supposed to only do Home ... now known as Style Consultant. I talked to our Store Lead about this today and was told that she wasn't sure about how to schedule me and would look into how to best do this, but Visual Merch makes a lot of sense. I'll suggest this tomorrow. Thanks.
Can they schedule Visual Merch/softlines vs Visual Merch/hardlines or is it just Visual Merch?
For the pilot the schedule will not reflect the new positions. It can't and won't be updated until it's rolled out company wide. It's more about knowing what your expectations are while you are scheduled. Since this is a pilot there will probably be a lot of uncertainty in the beginning as each store figures out how all this is going to work. Your leader/lead should be filling out a daily diary to be sent to your store director who will compile them and send them up to the district director. They will be giving feedback on how to schedule, how team members are adjusting, workload coverage, etc. All this is to help evolve the process.

For the pilot the schedule will not reflect the new positions. It can't and won't be updated until it's rolled out company wide. It's more about knowing what your expectations are while you are scheduled. Since this is a pilot there will probably be a lot of uncertainty in the beginning as each store figures out how all this is going to work. Your leader/lead should be filling out a daily diary to be sent to your store director who will compile them and send them up to the district director. They will be giving feedback on how to schedule, how team members are adjusting, workload coverage, etc. All this is to help evolve the process.
Yep.... this was part of our discussion. We already have some good feedback to send... some good, some opportunities for tweaking.

I've always thought LOD was a pretty stoopid terminology.

I more frequently hear MOD, but then, I more frequently hear customer as well.

How do you think these new titles will affect the egos of the fresh out of college leaders? I think it will make them worse.

Their egos will be put back into check and their attitudes will get worse. "Executive Team Leader" was a hook that Target designed to get these college kids interested, and the turnover was so bad because many of them realized a year or two into the job that they were just Assistant Store Managers, not "Executives".... The ones that make it through that batch are the ones who keep their ego puffed up and can talk the talk.

Wouldn't Style be over a A&A area? Unless you are referring to H&H there is no place in Home that is VM so no real need for style to be there.

Shift manager is more common in my world.
Odd. The only time I've heard it was food service. Everywhere I've been, manager is default and then you have a assignment tag attached. Director was always about that. At the Hotel I was ' Director of Hospitality' beneath me was the floor managers, sanitation manager and housekeeping manager

Wouldn't Style be over a A&A area? Unless you are referring to H&H there is no place in Home that is VM so no real need for style to be there.
Things are different in Modernization. Home is style. My job is to "accessorize" the home from bed to bath to kitchen... to sell concepts, colors, mindsets and then to convince them that they need more. "I see you're looking at pillows. Are you redecorating? I have the perfect vase that would go with that pillow!" "I'm glad you like that pillow and vase. Have you thought about a new picture for the wall above that couch? This would make those colors pop!" "This basket would be great to hold your mail instead of putting it on the table..." Think of accessory attachment rates on steroids.

Last edited:
Things are different in Modernization. Home is style. My job is to "accessorize" the home from bed to bath to kitchen... to sell concepts, colors, mindsets and then to convince them that they want more. Think of accessory attachment rates on steroids.
Home can't be both style and HL

Thus my question. It falls into that grey area that Instocks did.... is it logistics or salesfloor? Holy smokes! It's both! It's neither! It's both!
I hate to tell you but style is not home. Style is strictly a softline function. If you are a style consultant then you fall squarly on the softline floor pad. The only person that will work both hardiness and softline is the VM. And only to visually merchandise the product.

Back