MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I hate to tell you but style is not home. Style is strictly a softline function. If you are a style consultant then you fall squarly on the softline floor pad. The only person that will work both hardiness and softline is the VM. And only to visually merchandise the product.

Home is definitely under Style, not General Merchandise in my store

Home=decor
Style=clothing
Does it matter......not really.
The way a house looks (from the outside)......is sometimes called style.....architecture style.

style=what you do to your hair.
style....is what some people (who don't know better) call where a pig lives.

For anyone whose store has started the pilot, is there any word on what is happening with receiving? Are they training everyone in the backroom to do it or are they just keeping one person who is the sole receiver?

For anyone whose store has started the pilot, is there any word on what is happening with receiving? Are they training everyone in the backroom to do it or are they just keeping one person who is the sole receiver?
My guess, and what I believe we will be doing at our store, is keeping the receiving TM as coverage for the dock. But once we figure out how the backroom will be scheduled I fully expect all backroom experts to be trained to cover the dock.

I'm really confused now with my store. My AP says that we are a pilot store. We do have a few things going on to indicate that we are moving towards being a pilot store....however, when I was talking with my HR clerical TM today I was asking her some questions about store modernization, about there being changes with the flow team, about having one "LOD" who closes Mon-Fri nights, about doing away with plano and about how TMs can't go work in different departments that have the different pay grades. Anyway, she had no knowledge about any of these terms. Said that she hadn't heard these words and that as far as she knew TMs could still work in different departments.

So, I've no real idea of what's really happening....is it possible that we are adopting some new parts of the pilot?

I think that when I go to work tomorrow I'll have to confirm my store group and district number and then check it against the list that is in this thread. It's just odd that AP says we are part of the pilot program.....but no one else seems to have a clue...well...don't know about our Exec TM....they may be clueless too!

I'm really confused now with my store. My AP says that we are a pilot store. We do have a few things going on to indicate that we are moving towards being a pilot store....however, when I was talking with my HR clerical TM today I was asking her some questions about store modernization, about there being changes with the flow team, about having one "LOD" who closes Mon-Fri nights, about doing away with plano and about how TMs can't go work in different departments that have the different pay grades. Anyway, she had no knowledge about any of these terms. Said that she hadn't heard these words and that as far as she knew TMs could still work in different departments.

So, I've no real idea of what's really happening....is it possible that we are adopting some new parts of the pilot?

I think that when I go to work tomorrow I'll have to confirm my store group and district number and then check it against the list that is in this thread. It's just odd that AP says we are part of the pilot program.....but no one else seems to have a clue...well...don't know about our Exec TM....they may be clueless too!
In my time at Target clueless was always the word to describe everything.

Our store is not a pilot store however we had a three hour ETL/TL meeting about it on Monday. We didn't get the full run down on the changes but it was pretty close. Our STL basically presented it like this is what's happening and we're lucky to know ahead of time so we can start aligning ourselves with the changes and get our teams into the right work centers.
Could be your store is possibly doing something like this as well.
Our STL said it was a district decision to let the ETLs/TLs aware of the changes ahead of time.

Yeah.... you're wrong.
I hate to tell you but style is not home. Style is strictly a softline function. If you are a style consultant then you fall squarly on the softline floor pad. The only person that will work both hardiness and softline is the VM. And only to visually merchandise the product.
You forgot Signing tm.

$12 per hour is not a wage that people write to their family about. It's a wage that barely supports a teen in high school with their first car.

Oh, that should be fun.
Trying to figure out a way to convey this that makes the most sense so here it goes.

There are no more specialized process teams. Only specialized service teams.

So if you are general merchandise expert you will work freight, set POGs, do signing and pricing. Along with zoning and general upkeep of the area. If you are back of store expert you will pull, back stock, receive vendors, complete MIR's, sweep trailers, etc. Front of store is focused on service and experience. And style, beauty, tech, etc are focused on consulting with the guests to find out their needs and close the sale.

Trying to figure out a way to convey this that makes the most sense so here it goes.

There are no more specialized process teams. Only specialized service teams.

So if you are general merchandise expert you will work freight, set POGs, do signing and pricing. Along with zoning and general upkeep of the area. If you are back of store expert you will pull, back stock, receive vendors, complete MIR's, sweep trailers, etc. Front of store is focused on service and experience. And style, beauty, tech, etc are focused on consulting with the guests to find out their needs and close the sale.

Oh, I get the concept and I can see how it would work in theory.

Will it work in practice?
Only if they totally train the people who are the 'general merchandise experts' how to be signing ninjas.
I don't see that happening.
The job isn't the most complicated in the world but it does require specialized skills and abilities that must be mastered.
With all the other responsibilities the 'genmechex' have, there isn't going to be enough training and Spot isn't going to put enough of them on the floor to maintain the all the things that need to be done.

Oh, I get the concept and I can see how it would work in theory.

Will it work in practice?
Only if they totally train the people who are the 'general merchandise experts' how to be signing ninjas.
I don't see that happening.
The job isn't the most complicated in the world but it does require specialized skills and abilities that must be mastered.
With all the other responsibilities the 'genmechex' have, there isn't going to be enough training and Spot isn't going to put enough of them on the floor to maintain the all the things that need to be done.
Its going to be a spectacular failure. and eventually Target will migrate back to the way it was before this insanity only with palletized freight.

$12 per hour is not a wage that people write to their family about. It's a wage that barely supports a teen in high school with their first car.
Then you have too much stuff. Try working for $5 when I was a teen.
The problem really sint wages its the insane prices for everything on the coasts.

What skills and abilities are those?
Not taking out a gondola with the wave and not putting people into hospitals with signage.

Last edited:
Back