MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Salesfloor TM's are back to pushing truck after a months-long hiatus, but this time they had two pretty quick TM's pushing, but one girl quit so they gave her shifts to another slow girl let's see how that goes….

Well the goal is to have everything on the zebras by then. If they can meet that goal that’s awesome.
Lol, good luck with that.

I hate the PDAs, they’re so slow
I always preferred RF apps on PDAs over the touch screens until they removed half of them. RF apps runs pretty well as long as you have a good connection and the keyboard interface means that you barely have to look at the screen once you know what you're doing.

It is long past time for it to retire though. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Its not as fast.
You need to confirm when youre done with a location and then click a yes/no to submit the changes.
Makes zero-ing locations take a bit longer as there is no 'rapid scan' mode to empty them.
That's more than a bit longer, that's tripling the work for zeroing locations. Instead of each location simply requiring a scan to empty, it's now a scan and two touch prompts; each with a load time. When an entire aisle is emptied (seasonal for example), that adds up to a lot of extra payroll.

#modernization

However I do like the new system for the simple fact that if you screw up a quantity you can just hit the back arrow and re scan everything without having actually screwed up the STOed quantities.

On the other hand, it was just as easy to exit out and hop right back in if you screwed up. I could see using this for audit batches though.

Almost half our flow team quit on us, so we're stuck doing truck push way into the afternoon. A real good time to dump E2E on us when we can't even finish that one task. To do everything else on top of a push process that gets done so late in the day is ridiculous. We already tried and failed E2E for a few months last year and now we're going back to it again for some reason. It makes no sense.
you said the word "TASK"...... that's a no no!

Last edited:
Zebras are not that bad to work with. I'd prefer that for the salesfloor work and guest service . However, for backroom, I'd much prefer to work with PDA. They are faster and very reliable, and as Sloth said, less likely to press the wrong buttons. I've worked with Zebras for backroom before. I had to be careful when pressing numbers for quantities. The thing I hate most for Zebras is that it takes too long when trying to use audit for researching for the whole dept.

So AA store here, and we're in the month of May...

We got a double truck today, 4500/500 Repacks. How the fuck do they expect us to handle this?

Our truck yesterday was 2100 273 repacks. Yesterday flow was asked to work today for an added truck. 1800 245 repacks. Tomorrows truck is 1700 238 repacks. WHAT THE FUCK! Saturday's truck should be void of repacks. One can hope, lol

Our truck yesterday was 2100 273 repacks. Yesterday flow was asked to work today for an added truck. 1800 245 repacks. Tomorrows truck is 1700 238 repacks. WHAT THE FUCK! Saturday's truck should be void of repacks. One can hope, lol

Yup after today's 4500, piece double, we have a 2400 piece, 200 repack truck. This is literally "The worst part of 4th quarter Numbers". So that is 7000 cases, and 700 repacks within 2 days.

The scanner shutting off seems to have been fixed now that we just got a new Pilot application for the scanner (Acorn Scanner) which takes the place of DataWedge from Motorola.
what does it do? does it have anything to do with GS?

also-- next shift login and try opening price match... that's the one app that always makes me log in again

what does it do? does it have anything to do with GS?

also-- next shift login and try opening price match... that's the one app that always makes me log in again
If you close all the apps when you first come in, log in to my work then open all the apps you’ll use for the day first thing it always auto logs me in and I’m usually good for my whole shift. Log in once and all my apps are good. I find if I forgot and wait a little while after the first log in is when I have to log in all the time

Why did they add a truck? Should I be expecting one at my store soon?

1700/238 sounds like a typical Saturday for us. I bet that's what we get tomorrow in fact

It's the code in the background that makes the scanner run and translate the UPC into format the applications can understand.

Are we talking about logging in straight away, or later cause your gatekeeper logon is valid for 15/20 minutes after you login, so in that time frame you should be able to open any app and it should log you on without reauthorization.
Yes, I mean straight away. I'm so glad it fixes the scanner not turning on bc that was ANNOYING... how did you know it was fixed if it's all in the background?

I suppose I cannot say I know 100% percent that it's fixed, but since we got this pilot early this week, I have not run into that locked scanner issue since.
No sorry I guess I meant if it’s all in the background how did you know you were in the pilot

Why did they add a truck? Should I be expecting one at my store soon?

1700/238 sounds like a typical Saturday for us. I bet that's what we get tomorrow in fact

Well today, Saturday's truck was 1750 250 repacks. 6 huge pallets for softlines. Next week our normal 4 truck week. The following week another added truck. Use to be only 4th quarter we would have tons of trucks. Lately one seems to be added every other week. We are a $37,000,000 store. The dc notifies store of additional truck. We have to take it.

Well today, Saturday's truck was 1750 250 repacks. 6 huge pallets for softlines. Next week our normal 4 truck week. The following week another added truck. Use to be only 4th quarter we would have tons of trucks. Lately one seems to be added every other week. We are a $37,000,000 store. The dc notifies store of additional truck. We have to take it.

Oh that explains it. My store does about $29MM I think. Same here on today's truck, we actually had too many people today and got done too soon, RIP.

Back