MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is the warning I received as well!!! Be prepared for trailer unload time changes immediately after BTS (all stores push back one level... current O/N go 4AM and current 4AM go 6AM). HQ plans on making this happen despite suggestions to wait after Q4, so we will see.
What about stores that are 6AM now? Please don't say we'll be starting at 8. We did that for a few months and it was awful; many guest complaints about so many large vehicles on the floor. (And some TMs can't be bothered to work clean, so their trash is laying around too.)
And why in the world would this not wait until after 4th quarter? I anticipate a nightmare....

Best is when new people get NO training and stack their boxes to build a fortress of unbroken boxes! They think its a good idea to build this in the only pass throughs for guests. Yea my store is a shit show. That's why I'm leaving, I'm not the one to tell them how they should work "clean".

What about stores that are 6AM now? Please don't say we'll be starting at 8. We did that for a few months and it was awful; many guest complaints about so many large vehicles on the floor. (And some TMs can't be bothered to work clean, so their trash is laying around too.)
And why in the world would this not wait until after 4th quarter? I anticipate a nightmare....
You

What is a slow metered truck unload?

I might have got the exact term wrong, it was early in the morning when I was told. Basically we were told the truck unload will happen with 5 people, repacks are sorted in the back now. It will take as long as it needs to take to do the unload (at least 3 hours or more probably for a big truck, there guess not mine) and they want to try and stage most of it on vehicles to be worked on.

U-boats for trash and backstock, its the new thing. Fill it, take care of trash, repeat. Takes longer but you are scheduled longer so that should work.

You’re going to be made to use only one vechicle for back stock, trash. You’ll have no more trash cages or tubs on the floor. We’ve already gotten rid of all of our trash cages. And yes it’s an absolute mess.
Actually I don't mind that the cages where taken away. As the receiver it seemed like the cages was always brough back at the end of flows shift and overflowing. None of them would want to throw it away. I know it was a bigger adjustment for them than me but trash is being thrown away more often and not being piled up

I might have got the exact term wrong, it was early in the morning when I was told. Basically we were told the truck unload will happen with 5 people, repacks are sorted in the back now. It will take as long as it needs to take to do the unload (at least 3 hours or more probably for a big truck, there guess not mine) and they want to try and stage most of it on vehicles to be worked on.
Gross!

Haven't hours dropped for most? I see 4-5 hour shifts are the new norm for a lot of people on this board. It's pretty rare to see someone say they're still getting ~40.
I think it depends on location. I live in a very high cost of living area, so it's really hard for Spot to find people willing to accept $13-14 an hour, and most of us who will have other means of income. So even with Spot cutting hours, the local service industry labor pool is so dried up that I've been pulling 5 8 hour shifts every week since I started at this store.

U-boats for trash and backstock, its the new thing. Fill it, take care of trash, repeat. Takes longer but you are scheduled longer so that should work.

I really don't like the U-boats. They are too long, harder to push, and items routinely fall off the top shelf. It needs an edge/lip of some sort for that shelf.

So when the whole modernization comes to HL next year, where are they going to get payroll from? As it is now, there are many days when we don't get a second person until 11am. By then the beauty, electronics, and first HL needs breaks ... yet they expect that one person to be a "sales expert" at everything we sell
Speaking from a store that is going into our second BTS as modernized, they will pull it out of spot's ass, if you understand what I mean.

I just heard more ridiculousness. With the changes happening in July, some team members are being scheduled to push truck in the middle of the day for 4 hours. They are also supposed to work the pulls, back stock, scan outs, do the audit, help guests, answer the phone (softlines doesn’t do it anymore, random hardlines team members do) and respond to back up.

Wtf.

I also heard that all the pressure to get things done made one of our newer team members breakdown and cry last week.

Why 'in the name of any deity' is your phone not in A&A fitting room? SMH

Same. We already do toys, soft lines, and domestics during the day, but now it’s going to be everything. Can’t wait for the guest complaints to come rolling in.
Actually unless your aisles are tiny, you wont get that many. You however, get alot more trash and your backroom recieving will be ever clogged. Welcome to E2E

In the 10 years I've worked at Target my store has never had a special team for ad. There's always one person that works in softlines, one that works in electronics (also does toys and seasonal), now a beauty person does beauty or all of hba/pets/chemicals, market finally does their own, and then some random person to do the rest.
and thats what I call the ad team, but your mileage may very.

Now that flow team members are being scheduled as sales floor shouldn't they be responding to backups?
Absolutely not. We get enough unworked push as it is. Us electronics TMs usually get half a cart at least, and there are often 5 or 6 unworked hardlines pallets in electronics alone, let alone the rest of the store. Flow needs to be on the floor working freight, not on a register.

I was shopping in market at a Target while on vacation, and a u-boat was blocking me from getting to my product. The nearby tm didn't acknowledge me at all. I had to shop around the U-boat.

U-boats in aisles are not guest friendly, corporate.

meh.

A Soccer mom with a kiddie cart and 4 offspring is a bigger obstacle.

I was shopping in market at a Target while on vacation, and a u-boat was blocking me from getting to my product. The nearby tm didn't acknowledge me at all. I had to shop around the U-boat.

U-boats in aisles are not guest friendly, corporate.

meh.
My store has that problem in electronics big time. We're by the stockroom, and our stockroom is way too small, and can't physically fit our pallets. So they get dumped in electronics, and it's blocking guests from shopping cameras or calculators, STEM kits, and sometimes gamer accessories. And pallets can be left for multiple days. My department isn't friendly to guests at all. It's why I'm so vehemently against the idea of flow responding to backups. They've got a mountain of shit that needs to get done that they don't get done, and it directly impacts us sales floor work centers. I do not want them pulled away from this backlog of work and stuck on a register.

Last edited:
Back