MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I noticed a pallet with parts for a bunch more U-Boats. I HATE how people empty a u-boat and just leave it somewhere around the line. Put it back on the line!!!! It’s already hard enough to get the stacker around but it seems like I can’t get to a pallet these days without having to move a couple u boats.

I prefer the U-boats. Like was said earlier, it would be nice if the shelves had some sort of lip.

Absolutely not. We get enough unworked push as it is. Us electronics TMs usually get half a cart at least, and there are often 5 or 6 unworked hardlines pallets in electronics alone, let alone the rest of the store. Flow needs to be on the floor working freight, not on a register.

The only time we half to step up as far as salesfloor coverage are the days they schedule no other hardlines at all till 9 or 10am, which seems to be 2 or 3 days a week lately. I was off Friday that is when everyone else was told we are going to 6am early August also.We have very low mid coverage since so many have quit lately so I do not really see how its all going to work. I could hope we get smaller trucks but with BTS on the way I do not see it....

I noticed a pallet with parts for a bunch more U-Boats. I HATE how people empty a u-boat and just leave it somewhere around the line. Put it back on the line!!!! It’s already hard enough to get the stacker around but it seems like I can’t get to a pallet these days without having to move a couple u boats.
We take the end off of one side, and tuck them under the steel, when they are emptied (similar to flats)

First day doing the new unload process and start times.

The 6 people unloading seemed pissed that it takes so long.

Softlines on the back wall of electronics and down the luggage until 10. A guest forced his way through a pallet to look at Blu-ray players. We offered to get someone to move the pallet but he declined. The stuff on the back wall was removed at 10 when softlines came to break out, but the stuff on the luggage aisle was still there at 11:30 when I left.

Team members with dedicated areas were annoyed at leaders wanting to zone other areas of the store before working on their own especially since they are all now responsible for their pulls, zone, push, and back stock.

Hours were cut this week but at least two people that I know of were asked to extend their shifts.

This is going to be interesting.

You’re going to be made to use only one vechicle for back stock, trash. You’ll have no more trash cages or tubs on the floor. We’ve already gotten rid of all of our trash cages. And yes it’s an absolute mess.
This sounds awful. I can get by without a cage or a tub for trash (stuff it into a repack I've emptied), but to take care of my trash and back stock before I can bring out another u-boat seems ridiculous. Doing it all in one fell swoop makes so much more sense. But then, what am I thinking? Spot doesn't make sense!

Softlines on the back wall of electronics and down the luggage until 10. A guest forced his way through a pallet to look at Blu-ray players. We offered to get someone to move the pallet but he declined. The stuff on the back wall was removed at 10 when softlines came to break out, but the stuff on the luggage aisle was still there at 11:30 when I left.

Team members with dedicated areas were annoyed at leaders wanting to zone other areas of the store before working on their own especially since they are all now responsible for their pulls, zone, push, and back stock.

Hours were cut this week but at least two people that I know of were asked to extend their shifts.

Day 4 update, I can only just laugh.

No one works clean or cares to so there is trash and clutter on the floor at 4pm and guests have to maneuver around it.

Unload took approximately 3.5 hours to finish.

People look defeated trying to get everything done. Trucks have been rolling for departments it didn’t use to roll for.

How long until people start to quit or just give up?

I thought for sure that my store would struggle with a change to 6am but suprisingly we have really had a successful week thus far. I feel like it creates a sense of urgency when we here 'team we will be openning in 30 minutes' we also have non flow scheduled in flow for an hour which makes a huge difference! We could have 1 person for four hours or 4 people for one hour! Of course there's a lot more hustle to get extra pallets and trash off the floor but the truck is getting done without adding hours.

I thought for sure that my store would struggle with a change to 6am but suprisingly we have really had a successful week thus far. I feel like it creates a sense of urgency when we here 'team we will be openning in 30 minutes' we also have non flow scheduled in flow for an hour which makes a huge difference! We could have 1 person for four hours or 4 people for one hour! Of course there's a lot more hustle to get extra pallets and trash off the floor but the truck is getting done without adding hours.
This is awesome! I think maybe the leaders trying to have team members do other things while they are supposed to be pushing is one of the things fucking them over. That and not allocating enough hours. They cut hours prior to this week but at least 4 people that I know of with a dedicated area has had to stay over and to be honest it pisses me off because my hours got cut! The trash on the floor all day is part that gets to me the most. I took a picture but I won't upload it until I can get it and take my location off of it.

Anyways, congratulations on the success. What volume is your store? Mine is a B.

Day 4 update, I can only just laugh.

No one works clean or cares to so there is trash and clutter on the floor at 4pm and guests have to maneuver around it.

Unload took approximately 3.5 hours to finish.

People look defeated trying to get everything done. Trucks have been rolling for departments it didn’t use to roll for.

How long until people start to quit or just give up?

Haha, Market has been like this for a while now. Welcome to hell.

Haha, Market has been like this for a while now. Welcome to hell.
Market has been like this for over a year at my store and now with the hour changes it has gotten worse over there which I didn't think was possible. I was told by one of them that they have only come clean 2 times since they switched to their new process over a year ago.

This is the unload process we are doing right now...or started last week. So far its working ok I guess. Some areas are unloaded onto flats or u-boats while others still use pallets. The unload time averages 2 1/2 hours to 3 on big truck days. Suppose to have 5 people back there but I have seen as many as 8 some days. While I think we are getting it down this will be a joke when we move to 6am in August. So far people in dedicated areas only need to zone and push. We are short a few people so when ever some gets done there area they go to another area.

Last edited:
My store tried the metered unload process late last year and it sucked so hard, especially in Q4. The unload team would literally have to stop and clock out for lunch halfway through unloading the second truck.

My ETL-LOG says he likes the 6am process better than overnight because of the "sense of urgency" thing but I'm calling bullshit on that. Sense of urgency is part of your core role regardless if you're working a full shift or a short one or what time you start. If a TM isn't keeping up the pace then that's an accountability issue that you're supposed to deal with, Mr. ETL. But did I mention how much I hate pushing fucking seasonal during Q4 when the light wall is mobbed out? It seems a sense of urgency is useless when you literally can't move around due to the crowds because the process was thought up by some ivory tower moron at corporate.

Our spots are not even that close to the front doors. I actually fear a team member is going to get hit one day.
Our spots are almost next to the team member ones so I have the same fear. Especially since I’ve seen local teens pulled over by the PD for blowing through the store’s stop sign clocking 50 mph.

Back