MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would of retired.
I actually planned on early retirement. Same benefits by quitting. And guess what? Thankfully i already got a new job ! With about the same pay. M-f no night or weekends. No holidays. I tried to do the retirement but the crap they handed me when i walked in —-here was no way anyone could convince me but to walk out. Figured they could have fun figuring it all out. After all i do about 3-4 lod shifts a week. My stl is on maternity leave and my etl was on vacation. ULV leaves only log etl and hr. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I figured they have treated me like crap for the past few months i didn’t care how it looked i needed to be gone.

Serious question did traing stop for new people with this modernization? At my store every new person has not been set up with a trainer. Or mentor whatever. Literally they are sent to their work center and expected to get right to work. I brought this up with hr and they said thsts hkw it is now and to answer anything the newbie asks. Target training is a sink or swim thing but this is new and quite frankly just sad. I have this new gal who was in tears its her first job and she is so overwhel.ed and freaked out. Me and ankth tm have been showing her the ropes but seriously wtf. Just curiouz if our store is being epic lazy or if this is a trend.
At my store training sucks and always has sucked. Hiring is like this. “U cut your sisters hair when you were 7-fabulous u would be great in beauty “. Hired. Now get to work and figure it out

At my store training sucks and always has sucked. Hiring is like this. “U cut your sisters hair when you were 7-fabulous u would be great in beauty “. Hired. Now get to work and figure it out
Training has sucked at my store for a couple of years at least. For seasonal they wouldn’t start hiring until we were desperately understaffed and workload was seriously backed up. When the new hires started we would give them a pda, show them how to backstock, and pair them up with a tenured team member to answer their questions. That was their training. We were sorry for them, but we were so far behind and desperate to meet deadlines that no one could take the time to train them properly. After living through that debacle several times, our ETL decided to hire early. So they hired people that they had no or minimal hours for and after a couple of weeks of waiting for hours, they all quit, so we didn’t have anyone to train when we had time to do it, and ended up hiring late again, ad nauseum. Go figure.:rolleyes:

I agree! But should we take it another step forward to get every current/new team member cross trained to do it all? For $15/hr I would want them to be a jack of all trades (minus making drinks at Starbucks). At the store I'm at there's one team that basically does a lot than most. They set planograms(clean, de-merchandise, set displays), pull their batches (although this is supposed to be backroom's responsibility), push their batch, audit any outs, pull the batch from scan if audit makes a batch, merchandise clearance/decode, defect any damages, FIFO if they are in market setting, ticket clearance if it got missed, put up promotional signing on the new set, backstock because you need a vehicle to pull your planogram freight, back up cashier since opening cashiers call out, answer calls on the walkie if they have walkies since equipment is scarce, help guest service every single guest that you encounter, then having to go help get carts because cart attendant isn't scheduled till after 1pm...what else have I missed? Oh and change the times that we come in and do resets for holiday. Think about it, IMO $15 isn't enough for what this one team does vs.the rest of the employees who do the bare minimum. I feel it's not equal regardless of how anyone looks at it.

Not every store operates that way, nor is that the expectation.

I think we can survive without plano. Instead of setting 8 housewares/toys/storage/domestics.... salesplanners, you set 32' of inline. All have backer paper, fixtures, and so on. The team is not as critical as they are being made out.
This sounds like someone who really doesn't understand what the POG role is now. In theory it would be great to just set 32' of inline. BUT what happens when aisles flip flop, change inline from back to front? Revisions that have 95% moving items, adding shelving, new fixtures that are somewhere in the fixture room, incorrect pog footage. There is quite a bit more to plano (if you are doing right) than simply putting up paper, throwing in labels and wham bam your done. And for the folks who have a pog team that doesn't have guest interaction, that is an issue that should have been addressed. My team is actively engaging guests every single shift. They often get great guest comments on how helpful they were. The planning that goes into smooth transitions is very critical. Exactly who will be setting the seasonal areas? Sure things are changing and you will adapt or you will be gone. But it is insulting to all team members to diminish what they do now. Unless you work the area you have no clue.

I get it. I was a TM when we had start rate increases and I got no benefit after being told Target was going to take care of us. I also work 50 hours/wk at a minimum and usually closer to 60. I get no OT, so yeah a bonus is nice, but I made more in OT as a TL. I haven’t gotten pay increases when TM pay has increased. A large percent of my team has benefited from these raises. I’ve actually doled out $2 pay raises as an ETL-HR and had those TMs still not think they’re getting a fair raise ($2 at 40 hours is roughly 4K/yr which is what these people would’ve been getting...meanwhile my last raise wasn’t anywhere close to 4K).

Yeah...new TMs will be starting $15 in 2020, which might be at the same pay rate as someone who’s been there for 15 years. Do I think it’s right? No. But do I think all our current team members should make more than the base rate if they’re not willing to do the extra work? Also no. I think the way we do base pay increases leaves something to be desired, but no one is taking pay from anyone unless they are demoting.

There are too many leaders who aren’t holding their teams accountable and managing poor performers. What chaps my hide is terrible team members making the new base and not being far behind TMs who’ve earned their merit raises. I have very mixed feelings about start rate increases, but honestly it’s just part of the game and it has been for at least the 10 years I’ve worked for Target. So it’s honestly something that I had to get over a long time ago.

Jobs I had before target didn’t even do merit raises...so you got what you got. End of story. So at least Target employees can expect some sort of annual raise. And I hope it’s not earth shattering for me to say that in my 10 years with Target, the substantial pay increases have always come with promotions, not from annual merit raises. Ain’t nobody shouting hallelujah for a 23 cent raise. And I’ve gotten those wonderful 17 cent raises in the past too.

All I’m saying is that these changes can make a store run really smoothly and increase sales. Again, my team is getting the hours they want/need and the morale is better. We’re increasing sales and guest survey scores and the team is happier about what they do. And as the pay increases the expectations increase too. We parted ways with some long term TMs and leads because they didn’t want to adapt. But we all as a store had to realize that if we wanted to stay working that we had to adapt, and those unwilling to adapt couldn’t be the reason we weren’t going to be successful with rollouts. It’s not an easy road, but it’s worth it.

Sorry for the novel.
To even insinuate that the raises Target gives out are "merit raises" is insane. The annual review process and raises are politcal at best. I had to give a team member a .02 cent raise a few years ago. Merit? Bullshit. I don't care if you give someone $30 and hour, the reality is there is a finite amount of work you can do in a time span. Can we be better and more efficient? Of course, Are all the changes based in reality? Of course not. This is not a sunshine and rainbows fix all solution. Morale starts at the top. A little information on whats happening and why would be very beneficial. Looking to a website to understand what is happening in your workplace speaks volumes as to how Spot thinks about their team...

Exactly, that is why I was wondering why that GSTM would take on the additional role.
promise of upward mobility. So far the last two promotions have came from within and it sends a message that we do promote those who work hard (and put up with stuff)

Closing lead is supposed to be a separate, dedicated leader position. Why is your GSTL being the Service and Engagement Lead AND Closing Lead?
When she becomes closing Lead she will cease to be the GSTL. Someone will replace her. Hense said GSTM willing to do her work. I apologize if that was vague.

You better not come to my store then. Me and other GSTMs have walked in for our shifts only to be handed the keys and told we’re GSAs for the day.
Again, why buy the cow if you can milk it for free. I don't mind helping out when needed, but to require us to fill in is taking advantage of us. Same goes for the GSA's who are doing the work of the GSTL's.

promise of upward mobility. So far the last two promotions have came from within and it sends a message that we do promote those who work hard (and put up with stuff)
Most of us in my store who are GS trained do not want to promote. We are willing to help out and we are already supporting front-end management. There is a difference if you have someone wanting to promote to those who do not, but are required to do the job of our supervisor.

We will have to differ with your comment on promoting those who work hard and put up with stuff. I know at least two people in my store who have been waiting months and keep getting told maybe next month. They are now looking elsewhere.

To even insinuate that the raises Target gives out are "merit raises" is insane. The annual review process and raises are politcal at best. I had to give a team member a .02 cent raise a few years ago. Merit? Bullshit. I don't care if you give someone $30 and hour, the reality is there is a finite amount of work you can do in a time span. Can we be better and more efficient? Of course, Are all the changes based in reality? Of course not. This is not a sunshine and rainbows fix all solution. Morale starts at the top. A little information on whats happening and why would be very beneficial. Looking to a website to understand what is happening in your workplace speaks volumes as to how Spot thinks about their team...
Let me preface by saying that I left the company months ago and I wrote that post about five months ago, so I can’t really comment on what’s been happening since then. That said...

I’ve seen modernization work. I’ve seen modernization crash and burn. The whole E2E and modernized process only work when leaders are fully engaged along with their teams, clear expectations are set and followed up on, quality training is a priority, payroll is accurately divvied out to support the process, and HQ accurately funds payroll for store volume and traffic. The last one rarely happens. We all know that. Payroll is always an issue.

The most common thing I’ve seen among stores that are failing is that leadership has no clue what they’re supposed to be doing anymore. If a store is failing, I’ve found that’s it’s usually the entire district that’s a crap shoot. This is coming from being in multiple stores throughout multiple districts over the past few months and then talking to people back at my original stores. I honestly think that most store execs are doing the best they can with the communication and payroll they are getting.

My issue as an ETL and especially as HR was that no one from STL up could tell me how to make things work. No one could give me concrete advice on how to be successful anymore. There were all kinds of metrics to meet and of course sales should be increasing. I would get schedule requirements for modernized areas, but then not the payroll to fund those requirements so I would have to pull from other areas. My DTLs and business partners couldn’t give me any tangible insight into actually running the business anymore.

I know for sure that my old group director knows how to make modernization work. My old group is the one driving these changes and he ran several stores his own way (precursor to modernization). The problem I always found is that modernization best practices seem to change weekly and even daily, stores are told to do what works, and then punished for doing something different that works bc it is not whatever the newest direction was. And again, no district leader (in my experience) is any help other than parroting back what the newest buzzwords are.

Communication has always been an issue in stores and between the different business units in the company (DCs vs Stores vs HQ etc), but now I think teams are really seeing the effects of communication breakdowns between region leaders and group leaders and district leaders and store leaders. I really feel that stores are doing the best with the info they have, but the communication is getting lost on its way down to the stores. That’s how I felt anyway. All anyone knows anymore is that guest service is the most important thing (tasks be damned), that the A&A team should be doing everything themselves, and that the expectation is that you can’t miss an order or goal time ever. Besides that I don’t think most anyone below group level has any clue what we’re supposed to be doing anymore.

PS: and about pay...I hate the way Target does raises, but I think my main point back then is that promotions will always net you a way better raise than any annual review.

This sounds like someone who really doesn't understand what the POG role is now. In theory it would be great to just set 32' of inline. BUT what happens when aisles flip flop, change inline from back to front? Revisions that have 95% moving items, adding shelving, new fixtures that are somewhere in the fixture room, incorrect pog footage. There is quite a bit more to plano (if you are doing right) than simply putting up paper, throwing in labels and wham bam your done. And for the folks who have a pog team that doesn't have guest interaction, that is an issue that should have been addressed. My team is actively engaging guests every single shift. They often get great guest comments on how helpful they were. The planning that goes into smooth transitions is very critical. Exactly who will be setting the seasonal areas? Sure things are changing and you will adapt or you will be gone. But it is insulting to all team members to diminish what they do now. Unless you work the area you have no clue.

I agree with you. In our current system the POG team is an extremely important team.

But if the company wants to dissolve it and they are driving efficiency, the only way to make it work is if they simplify the system. Not so many moves, changes in backer paper, fixtures etc.

Old product goes clearance, new product moves right into it's space. Simple. Not 300 hours of meaningless work

Again, why buy the cow if you can milk it for free. I don't mind helping out when needed, but to require us to fill in is taking advantage of us. Same goes for the GSA's who are doing the work of the GSTL's.
Most of us in my store who are GS trained do not want to promote. We are willing to help out and we are already supporting front-end management. There is a difference if you have someone wanting to promote to those who do not, but are required to do the job of our supervisor.
I know I don’t want to be promoted and am still “asked”. I say asked because if my STL walks up to me and says “hey AC, you can GSTL today, right?” It’s not really a question.

I honestly don’t mind it that much, but I do wish those days I had Sup access in POS ask I could actually help guests instead of calling the LOD

I know I don’t want to be promoted and am still “asked”. I say asked because if my STL walks up to me and says “hey AC, you can GSTL today, right?” It’s not really a question.

I honestly don’t mind it that much, but I do wish those days I had Sup access in POS ask I could actually help guests instead of calling the LOD

Just have a TL give you supervisor access. Years ago I gave my full time dayside electronics TM access because they are solid enough to use their judgement for price matches. Probably knows the policy better than some who would do the overrides.

Just have a TL give you supervisor access. Years ago I gave my full time dayside electronics TM access because they are solid enough to use their judgement for price matches. Probably knows the policy better than some who would do the overrides.
I should ask. I think the issue is if I get it then there are some other long time GSTMs who may feel they should get it to (and some of them should)

I've worked for a retailer where everyone had the same access. No need to have a supervisor running around like crazy. Now, I have to preface this with TRAINING was very detailed. If there was a transaction the team member didn't feel comfortable with and the guest was pushing back hard core, then yes, a supervisor would be called to reiterate. That being said, AP monitored trans VERY closely and they got a pop up anytime a price was adjusted over X amount, for example. Lots of reports to show "trends". Most team members want to do the right thing.

Back