MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It depends on where you live. Entry level jobs here start at an average $8 per, a bit more if you're lucky.

Corporate greatly over-estimates the magical power that blue jeans have over me. The company will go all blue jeans because it will make it easier hiring the type of person Spot wants as TMs.
I think part of it is Spot wants to compete and give an "incentive" for something they were thinking about doing anyway. We've had jeans on the weekends all year and less than 10% of people at my store take advantage of that. I've already invested in my uniform I'm not ruining my jeans to wear to work only to have a tub rip them.
ETLs don’t always tell TLs much, either. Can’t figure out why everything has to be such a big secret. We need that info to do our jobs, and we can’t pass it on to the team if it’s kept from us. I learned way more from tbr about changes coming than I ever heard from my ETL.🙄
Almost all the information on on TBR is available on Workbench and to a lesser extent Yammer, TBR is just more accessible to TMs outside of work hours. If you spent the same amount of time on Workbench that you do on TBR you'd probably be just as informed.

I think part of it is Spot wants to compete and give an "incentive" for something they were thinking about doing anyway. We've had jeans on the weekends all year and less than 10% of people at my store take advantage of that. I've already invested in my uniform I'm not ruining my jeans to wear to work only to have a tub rip them.

Spot is looking for an incentive and morale builder that doesn’t cost money. A lot of TMs like jeans better than khakis, so instant free incentive and morale builder. I agree that the dress code change will go through whether or not goals are met.

Almost all the information on on TBR is available on Workbench and to a lesser extent Yammer, TBR is just more accessible to TMs outside of work hours. If you spent the same amount of time on Workbench that you do on TBR you'd probably be just as informed.

In the old days I had time to research info on Workbench, and I did so. With the modernization process came new timelines and pressure to meet them so that I no longer had that luxury. My boss was pissed if I even stopped long enough to read my email. And ETLs have early access to info that are not accessible to TLs, but are on tbr. I could not access certain apparently restricted information regarding the modernization process on workbench, but I saw what was in the pipeline on tbr and when I asked my boss about certain changes she denied that that would happen. Guess what happened...🙄

It depends on where you live. Entry level jobs here start at an average $8 per, a bit more if you're lucky.
Wow that's pretty low. I'm not in a high pay region, but starting wages here have jumped to $10-11 range here. Even the ultimate low payer, McDonald's, is at $9.50.

It is a lot easier to get information about signing here.

Chik-Fil-A nearby other fast food joints are paying $14/hour here. I’d never want to do fast food but a guaranteed weekend day off plus $4 higher than minimum wage? Not too shabby for making a quick buck.
They are great place to network with guests & every Sunday off.

I considered picking up a second job at CFA but backed out because their restaurants are stupidly high volume and fast food always blows no matter what the pay is. Whoever owns my local CFA franchise has a license to print money bc they have drive through lines a block long 6 days a week. I might look into it again if I'm ever desperate enough.

The biggest impact I've seen is what's happening to flow & backroom.
We went from ON to 4am but half the time flow is pushed back to 2am instead; now they're adding backroom to that chaos.
TMs are tired all the time because jerking shift start-times back & forth is trashing their sleep routines & causing long-term effects on circadian rhythms.
But hey, needs of the business trumps TM health & well-being.

Last edited:
Our store is a shit show about like everyone's. We've got a group visit coming up and we're not close to being ready.

You can't believe what our backroom is like. We're red, red and red. The aisles all have vehicles down them that you have to try and dig out to get to anything. The main aisles are so full of pallets and vehicles that you can't push a vehicle to the aisle you're trying to get products to or from.

I'm GSTL and I'm lucky to have 2 cashiers at my busiest times. I rely on backups and have to beg my team to stay longer or come in on their day off every day.

I can't count the number of pallets, flats and u-boats of buck we've got but I don't have anyone to push or backstock.

I've got holes all over the front lanes.

I need to reset the big baskets in grocery too.

I'm not supposed to leave the "beach."

All my ETL is concerned with is the cosmetic appearance of guest service.

Her focus has been entirely limited to cleaning out and organizing the drawers and under the counters.

That needed to be done, I know. What about everything else though?

I'm trying to build my team by training. I want them to be knowledgeable so they can educate our guests. We're spread so thin though it's a struggle just to have a 2 minute conversation with them.

And reshop...
We moved it from Guest Service to underneath 4 checklanes with labeled bins. They fill up so fast. We're not supposed to have anything on the ends of the lanes so we have it all over the floor. It's such an eyesore but they did not want it behind the wall at Guest Service.

I'm sorry! I'm rambling. So many of our best have left and I'm trying to hang on. Help!

tldr:Help!

Our store is a shit show about like everyone's. We've got a group visit coming up and we're not close to being ready.

You can't believe what our backroom is like. We're red, red and red. The aisles all have vehicles down them that you have to try and dig out to get to anything. The main aisles are so full of pallets and vehicles that you can't push a vehicle to the aisle you're trying to get products to or from.

I'm GSTL and I'm lucky to have 2 cashiers at my busiest times. I rely on backups and have to beg my team to stay longer or come in on their day off every day.

I can't count the number of pallets, flats and u-boats of buck we've got but I don't have anyone to push or backstock.

I've got holes all over the front lanes.

I need to reset the big baskets in grocery too.

I'm not supposed to leave the "beach."

All my ETL is concerned with is the cosmetic appearance of guest service.

Her focus has been entirely limited to cleaning out and organizing the drawers and under the counters.

That needed to be done, I know. What about everything else though?

I'm trying to build my team by training. I want them to be knowledgeable so they can educate our guests. We're spread so thin though it's a struggle just to have a 2 minute conversation with them.

And reshop...
We moved it from Guest Service to underneath 4 checklanes with labeled bins. They fill up so fast. We're not supposed to have anything on the ends of the lanes so we have it all over the floor. It's such an eyesore but they did not want it behind the wall at Guest Service.

I'm sorry! I'm rambling. So many of our best have left and I'm trying to hang on. Help!

tldr:Help!
These are all examples of what is wrong with Target right now. I think most of us are all in this same situation.

My etl ge hires lots of seasonal some even were supposed to be salesfloor or logistics. It’s nice to have them great regular front end tms but lots of new ones are good bodies!

I've been contemplating stepping down or just finding a new job or both. I'm currently a TL. I don't know if I have the energy to make modernization/E2E work efficiently with the team I have and the lack of help and direction I get from upper management. I was given no help when this rolled out. I was not told what was expected, needed, wanted, but just to do it, get your team trained and figure it out. I ask for help they say they don't know or will get back to me or they look at me like why don't you know, even though they don't know. Why are stores starting E2E as pilots this late in the game? I mean haven't we tried this at other stores to have at least a small idea of how things work best to pass on to other stores. Right now it as if they want everything done but not done any particular way. I just don't think I have been given the tools or guidance to be successful with this new model. I also feel if I ask to many questions about it they will view it as resistance to the new process when I'm just trying to understand what's expected. This post is mostly a rant/vent as I've been stressing out lately and not sure what my next move in my life will be.

Back