MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
im not too sure what you guys are seeing and doing for modernization, but out backroom has never been so clean. We push as we should and EVERY SINGLE person zones the entire 4 foot section they push to before moving on. This allows the team to push til 8:30 all while having time for reshop and hitting hotspots. Our zone has never been better and spots that are always ignored are getting hit several times a day now...We did struggle at first but as long as ever single person is onboard you will see huge results.

Good for you! Our backroom is a shit storm. Trucks are rolling over, and there seems to be no end in sight with 4th quarter looming.

When the CA leaves, the lot should be clear and no overflowing trash cans. If the front end can't handle gathering the last hours' carts then something ain't right. There is no reason for the CA to stay until close.
We rely on our CA for sorting abandons and there tend to be a lot at the end of the night. We also have one closing GSA/GSTL, one closing cashier, and one closing SDTM. Frankly, everyone is busy with guests or tasks for the entire final hour of the night and it ain’t like our CA is just standing twiddling their thumbs. At my store, our CA is a crucial part of our closing routine.

If they aren't taking care of what I said, then they are just being used by the front end/everyone else.

If they HAVE taken care of what I said, then they SHOULD be working abandons/whatnot.

Well, my store currently has 1 TL for the entire SF (including Mobile plus). I think giving some of that to another TL would even things out.

You may get another tl to help but you will also have ALL of logistics included in your work in addition to salesfloor

Whats the latest on the death of plano and signing
We know we are all slowly disappearing. But no one wants to talk about it. I feel like the character in "The Neverending Story." We are all in a land of make believe that no one wants to believe in anymore. We are the ones that made things happen magically but didn't really get recognition. So unless anyone else has insight to the future, I don't have any answers.

We know we are all slowly disappearing. But no one wants to talk about it. I feel like the character in "The Neverending Story." We are all in a land of make believe that no one wants to believe in anymore. We are the ones that made things happen magically but didn't really get recognition. So unless anyone else has insight to the future, I don't have any answers.

The need to use plano to get through Christmas. Once that is set, the team will be spilt up and absorbed into their new areas, Anyone not willing will magically disappear.

The need to use plano to get through Christmas. Once that is set, the team will be spilt up and absorbed into their new areas, Anyone not willing will magically disappear.
A recent hosiery reset took 6 hours using 5 team members (plus a price change person for a couple hours). Is the plan to do away with locations for basics? Otherwise I don't see the stuff ever getting reset.

A recent hosiery reset took 6 hours using 5 team members (plus a price change person for a couple hours). Is the plan to do away with locations for basics? Otherwise I don't see the stuff ever getting reset.
I don't see how they can do away with locations for basics.

I'm hoping to suction myself to the new amplified gifting sets... one day we will hire a vml (maybe) but until then I'm our best hope.

I watch softlines struggle with basics revisions and feel for them. They have no idea what they are doing, how to do it efficiently, correctly and completely. I can't imagine total transitions in stationary or beauty. And to do it while the store is open. Nothing NOTHING about that is guest friendly. This process needs to be owned and done when the store is closed. I personally refuse to shop in stores that have freight on the floor or are resetting areas. Guests want clean stores, clear aisles and the ability to find what they want. They also want to be left alone usually, You can tell if a person is enjoying some quiet time or wants to be bothered. One of our dim witted execs calls out sales over the walkie and demands that we talk to guests to increase basket size and meets our goals. He actually says this OVER THE WALKIE WHILE GUESTS ARE PRESENT.
Target is not what it once was. Walmart is cleaner and has more merchandise. Meijer treats its team better. Target is now a wannabee

STL barely around.
ETL-Ops took 2 vacations within 6 months
ETL-Log just returned from vacation
ETL-HL don't care
Sr. Flow TL just went on vacation
ETL-GE (former BRTL of lower vol store) working mostly logistics
Sr. Bakery TL put in "charge" of SFS while still responsible of Bakery
Softlines still setting up A&A backroom areas
Backroom still a mess
Barely a well scheduled team to work backroom
Just hired a HL-TL, who already put in 2 weeks notice
and so on and so on....

I watch softlines struggle with basics revisions and feel for them. They have no idea what they are doing, how to do it efficiently, correctly and completely. I can't imagine total transitions in stationary or beauty. And to do it while the store is open. Nothing NOTHING about that is guest friendly. This process needs to be owned and done when the store is closed. I personally refuse to shop in stores that have freight on the floor or are resetting areas. Guests want clean stores, clear aisles and the ability to find what they want. They also want to be left alone usually, You can tell if a person is enjoying some quiet time or wants to be bothered. One of our dim witted execs calls out sales over the walkie and demands that we talk to guests to increase basket size and meets our goals. He actually says this OVER THE WALKIE WHILE GUESTS ARE PRESENT.
Target is not what it once was. Walmart is cleaner and has more merchandise. Meijer treats its team better. Target is now a wannabee

Total transitions will be left half-done, and will take three different people to actually complete.

Good to know then. I guess I'll be safe until Valentine's because my store with modernization is certainly taking it's time. Maybe a Christmas miracle will happen and things will reverse.

I understand that Target is making this whole Modernization thing a big deal and no end in site, however who here remembers "Simple Store" they rolled it out company wide and did away with it months later. Also there was the whole "Vibe" bs they forced down our throats that ended up getting axed eventually too. I would hope this modernization thing ends top once it votes company wide, but I'm nervous it won't.

I'm a new hardlines seasonal and I was just thinking this. Dollar General seems like its more organized and customer friendly than whatever it is we're doing at Target. As a not entirely infrequent guest I don't recall many instances of shopping at Target and seeing team members all over the store unpacking freight. But, that's what we're doing all afternoon and into the evening. Everytime I go in my ETL says it's for the same reason: not enough people to get things done earlier. Seems like a simple solution to me: schedule enough people to get it done. Guests have to be astounded as most of them are just there to do some quick after work shopping or whatever, not dodging team members pushing flats around and the boxes and trash all over the place. For something called modernization the whole process seems amazingly inefficient to me as well. I'm not sure I could design a more inefficient workflow if Itried, but then I'm just a seasonal and don't know how bad the old system was or wasn't.

Apparently, when they originally tried to make our softlines team E2E, they were responsible for their own POGs and simply would tie them, not set them, pull clearance down, print revision labels only and flex them into the old clearance spots, and put the new product there. The only reason it changed was that guests were complaining to HQ about not being able to find anything in our basics areas and no TM could help them since they couldn't tell where stuff was supposed to be, either.

I'm a new hardlines seasonal and I was just thinking this. Dollar General seems like its more organized and customer friendly than whatever it is we're doing at Target. As a not entirely infrequent guest I don't recall many instances of shopping at Target and seeing team members all over the store unpacking freight. But, that's what we're doing all afternoon and into the evening. Everytime I go in my ETL says it's for the same reason: not enough people to get things done earlier. Seems like a simple solution to me: schedule enough people to get it done. Guests have to be astounded as most of them are just there to do some quick after work shopping or whatever, not dodging team members pushing flats around and the boxes and trash all over the place. For something called modernization the whole process seems amazingly inefficient to me as well. I'm not sure I could design a more inefficient workflow if Itried, but then I'm just a seasonal and don't know how bad the old system was or wasn't.

Our old system was fine, just understaffed, as is modernization. Goal seems to be to cut costs as much as possible but at the same time complete a much increased workload. Sorry, can’t set impossible goals and expect a demoralized skeleton crew to reach them. There’s no such thing as a free lunch.🙄

Back