MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been contemplating stepping down or just finding a new job or both. I'm currently a TL. I don't know if I have the energy to make modernization/E2E work efficiently with the team I have and the lack of help and direction I get from upper management. I was given no help when this rolled out. I was not told what was expected, needed, wanted, but just to do it, get your team trained and figure it out. I ask for help they say they don't know or will get back to me or they look at me like why don't you know, even though they don't know. Why are stores starting E2E as pilots this late in the game? I mean haven't we tried this at other stores to have at least a small idea of how things work best to pass on to other stores. Right now it as if they want everything done but not done any particular way. I just don't think I have been given the tools or guidance to be successful with this new model. I also feel if I ask to many questions about it they will view it as resistance to the new process when I'm just trying to understand what's expected. This post is mostly a rant/vent as I've been stressing out lately and not sure what my next move in my life will be.

I don't understand why we were never properly briefed on E2E @ our store. We're a few months in E2E, our BRLA is crap, theres no vehicles to do anything after truck is done, softlines took many much-needed space for backstock (there is nowhere to put anything now, and we never had space to spare).

Alot of talent is leaving/on-the-edge, and I'm not sure we'll even survive Q4. The transition to this new process is mind-boggling. Our remaining TLs are struggling to whip a workable process together. We recently got a new TL, whom transferred from a different store, and they are already calling out often due to stress.

If you can find a way out of this stressful situation, I'd say go for it.

It's a living hell. An absolute disaster, an OSHA nightmare. But hey you didnt hear that from me..
I need this job.

It has been bad in the past, but this is a new level of bad. They sort of have it setup at our store were there are 1 or 2 people that are in the backroom, more backstock gets done then before. It is still bad though because we get so much push that is backstock, when do we get to the part where we just get truck freight that mostly goes out?

Market is a joke. I've done everything I can to smooth it out and work with my team, but this new process doesn't give us the time we need to get things done.

I ran market for a year with my own system, and didn't go over budget. Market got done every day. Pulls, dry truck, fresh truck, and ambient room. All clean because they left us the hell alone. We know our department better then some jackass in Minnesota does.

Market is a joke. I've done everything I can to smooth it out and work with my team, but this new process doesn't give us the time we need to get things done.

I ran market for a year with my own system, and didn't go over budget. Market got done every day. Pulls, dry truck, fresh truck, and ambient room. All clean because they left us the hell alone. We know our department better then some jackass in Minnesota does.
Where is the hangup? How closely did you follow the grocery operating model before?

tumblr_oge0omyFru1vbwf2ko1_1280.png

I was at a different target today. I noticed a TM in softlines selling to a lady. She was doing it perfect, just like target expects. She spent SO MUCH time with her and she only walked away with 1 sweater. So spend at least 15 minutes with one guest,to sell 1 item, while the entire department is full of people and I'm sure a backroom full of freight. She made one woman feel like a queen while ignoring every other guests. On top of that not a single cart in the store as people kept coming into the store. How do you build the basket if they have no cart to put product in? How is this efficient? There has to be someone at corporate that is still in reality....but I assume they are afraid of speaking the truth and losing their job.

Last edited:
I was at a different target today. I noticed a TM in softlines selling to a lady. She was doing it perfect, just like target expects. She spent SO MUCH time with her and she only walked away with 1 sweater. So spend at least 15 minutes with one guest,to sell 1 item, while the entire department is full of people and I'm sure a backroom full of freight. She made one woman feel like a queen while ignoring every other guests. On top of that not a single cart in the store as people kept coming into the store. How do you build the basket if they have no cart to put product in? How is this efficient? There has to be someone at corporate that is still in reality....but I assume they are afraid of speaking the truth and losing their job.
My store cut cart attendant hours, too. Right now, i think the problem is sales dropped. But it's kinda dicey strategy. We are hearing every day now from regular shoppers that the inability to check out is upsetting them.

In a high volume store, I have been working with my leads to improve my guest service since I am shy, but a lot of the times I spend so much times helping one guest that I get a little line of other guests needing help and just like you mentioned, the guest will walk away with just one item because the one they saw online is different in person than they expected it to be fit-wise.

im not too sure what you guys are seeing and doing for modernization, but out backroom has never been so clean. We push as we should and EVERY SINGLE person zones the entire 4 foot section they push to before moving on. This allows the team to push til 8:30 all while having time for reshop and hitting hotspots. Our zone has never been better and spots that are always ignored are getting hit several times a day now...We did struggle at first but as long as ever single person is onboard you will see huge results.

Our store hasn't been green in BRLA since we started really doing the modernization. And surprise surprise, the 3 sections that BR doesn't touch are always red. Market, Beauty and Softlines have just tanked the score. How does a section of over 80 baffles, that is just crazy.

im not too sure what you guys are seeing and doing for modernization, but out backroom has never been so clean. We push as we should and EVERY SINGLE person zones the entire 4 foot section they push to before moving on. This allows the team to push til 8:30 all while having time for reshop and hitting hotspots. Our zone has never been better and spots that are always ignored are getting hit several times a day now...We did struggle at first but as long as ever single person is onboard you will see huge results.
So how many people did they have to fire or make quit to get this amazing process to work?

Last edited:
Well then you're lucky! Because ASANTS! Everyone is struggling. What are you doing different from the rest of us? How long have you been doing modernization? How are you staffed on the salesfloor? What does your store schedule look like? What time does your "Inbound" team come in to unload the truck? Are you allowed to use shopping carts to push freight or allow your presentation/price change team to use carts to do their work for the day? Is everyone in your store cross trained to: Back up cashier, answer calls on the walkie, set a planogram(clear aisle, push clearance, locate area to merchandise decode, pull batches, push batches, backstock overstock, pull down transition pallets, set promotional signing, set specialty fixtures/displays, build furniture), do price change (scan labels, put up labels correctly, ticket clearance, pull backroom price change batches, work clearance to the correct departments/areas of the store, process salvage, box up salvage freight), process damages, zone not just the 4 foot section but an entire aisle while pulling out items that don't belong and then putting away items that don't belong, cover breaks for all departments(Beauty, Electronics, Market, Softlines, Backroom, Receiving, Front End(Guest Service, SCO,etc...), get carts when carts are low or cart attendant is not scheduled till after 1pm? Let me know if I missed anything...This is what it would look like if "every single person is on board." So again, lucky you! You guys have figured it out...but how long is it going to last?

Last edited:
I had my first ever break down of sorts today because of all of this.

I ran market for a year getting all the work done. Caf, dry truck, fresh truck, zone.... all got done. Ran toys and electronics before that. Both through q4 a few times with good results.

Since this bull shit, we've struggled hard. Scheduling, finishing freight, finishing caf, etc. And everyone is working at 110%.

Backroom is full, but market keeps it pretty clean. Still, my stl gets up my ass every day and just says "plan and figure it out"

I have planned, partnered with the group market vp, took the training, and my etl is as supportive as possible.

But we cant get it done in the time we have. I need 250 hours according to the company guide, and I schedule to that but usually get 40 hours less per week.

I sat outside with head in my hands. I know what to do, but I'm told not to move people around, to make it work, and no excuses.

Fuck you! Let me fix this! I know how to get us caught up, but I'm hamstrung. I can't take much more of this shit.

Sounds very ASANTS to me. Either you have very small trucks or plenty of team members. Our unloads usually last till 8:30 or 9, which means stocking takes till 10 for the easiest areas all the ways till noon. Sometimes longer for bigger trucks, we zone as much as we can. I have heard some stores even zone before they stock the truck. I know corporate is probably judging this whole process by the stores that make it work, not the ones that are struggling. Which will be a mistake down the road.

Ok Mr. Cornell whatever you say

Back