MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just a few random thoughts.....

I'd suggest that those of us not in the pilot program not worry about the changes. First of all it is going to take quite awhile for these pilot store/districts to get things all figured out. The bugs of this pilot program will have to be worked out. They are also going to run in to issues that no one has anticipated. Things will have to be fixed/changed/gotten rid of....and then they'll probably try to roll out this to all stores.

Keep in mind that Spot has tried other things and after the pilot program has been run they stop it. So, don't get too hyped up. It will, more than likely, be quite awhile before this gets ready to be rolled out....if it does indeed do what is expected.

Even now the E2E program isn't what it was expected to be....and this has been in the works for quite some time....

Just think about some of the recent things they've tried....pre-paid Target RedCards, refillable gift cards (you know, the black gift cards at registers), Red Perks, trying to be able to get debit cards at the store without a check, Canada, all the designers that they've feature for example: Lily Pullitzer, Missoni, the store from New York (the one that was in the colors of blue & white) and I'm sure that there may be some other things that they've tried.

Right now they are in the midst of making drastic changes to the appearance of Spot's stores, closing stores in Minnesota and trying out this new Target Red discount cards, still working on getting Cartwheel figured out.....(and of course Cartwheel isn't as good as it was when it first started).
So, try to be patient and don't worry about crossing this "bridge" until we all get to it.

The "stores modernization roadmap" seems pretty solid. I even brought up to my STL other failed processes. He had brought up some stores that did not roll out the Grocery Operating Model until last fall... almost a year late. My point was maybe they didn't think it would stay. He said the current rollout will not be going away. Not that I take what he says as gospel. I personally can't stand the guy. But that is a whole different discussion.

I'm in the PILOT and it's gonna be interesting. My store is already very deep in modernization and E2E so aside from role changes, it's not too different from what we were already doing.

I am however loosing my senior role technically as we all become Lead's. But that means less LOD shifts and more time to focus in my department(s).

So, will you still carry keys?

Yes, I guess we can still keep our keys and some functions of our roles as a backup for the closing leader/lead. But I want to say keys become more at the discretion of the Store Director and won't probably be associated with a raise moving forward.

At least that was my takeaway!

Yes, I guess we can still keep our keys and some functions of our roles as a backup for the closing leader/lead. But I want to say keys become more at the discretion of the Store Director and won't probably be associated with a raise moving forward.

At least that was my takeaway!

Mine too. SrTLs will just have the keyholder shift tag, but the title is gone.

I did not hear about Senior TL losing any job status. They will need at least one to be the M-F closer. If that is actually true, then would seniors lose the $1 key carrier pay as well as the$2.50 I think it was for senior?

I did not hear about Senior TL losing any job status. They will need at least one to be the M-F closer. If that is actually true, then would seniors lose the $1 key carrier pay as well as the$2.50 I think it was for senior?
they can't take your pay away. You would just lose a title. you'd most likely keep your keys as well

Alright. Corporate has some new ideas, and they want to shake everything up. Here is the rundown:

WHAT WE KNOW:

• Corporate is running a pilot in 26 districts that will completely replace the operational model in their stores, and eventually, in all stores nationwide.
  • The pilot is being rolled out selectively so they can flesh out any issues/quirks with the program.
  • We expect this to be rolled out to all stores by Q2 2019. Once the pilot period is over, it will be slowly rolled out district by district to see how it gets handled. All districts should be on board by Q2 2019.
  • The current "Team" culture is gone. All job titles will be changed, in that hourly employees are considered to be experts(food,br,flow,fufillment), advocates(front end), and consultants(a&a, electronics, and beauty) -@Lazy. Groups of hourly employees will be led by their respective "Lead" (formerly TL), and will be completely responsible for their own section of the store (food, electronics, softlines, starbucks, liquor, etc. [not including hardlines tm's/tl's, explained below]).
  • The main change is that each group of hourly employees will be responsible for pushing their own sections of the truck in their respective areas. The goal is to have the flow team be eradicated, with the exception of a "Backroom Lead" (formerly TL) to supervise and manage the flow of hourly employees in and out to unload their portions of the truck/back-stock their products.
  • Distribution Centers will now be placing goods on pallets sorted by group (target speak for department), instead of the old way of just filling the truck full of boxes.
  • The job of LOD will be completely removed. Anything you would have gone to the LOD to solve, you will now go that groups "Leader" (formerly ETL) Notice how TL is now Lead, and ETL is now Leader.
  • The Sr. ETL position is now removed. They are now considered to be Leaders. They will keep their pay, and will be grandfathered in. Current and New Leader's (ETL's) can never reach the rank (or the pay grade) of Sr. ETL. Same thing will happen to current Sr. TL's. (Sr. TL's can expect to keep their keys, but it is at Store Director's discretion).
  • Pricing and POG are now gone. Each group is now responsible for these tasks.
  • Property Maintenance Leader I (previously PMT/PMTL) no longer reports to the Store Director (previously STL).
  • Assets Protection Leader I (previously ETL-AP) no longer reports to the Store Director (previously STL). They report solely to the APBP.
  • Harlines is being renamed General Merchandise.
  • Depending on store volume, there will be 2-4 groups that are responsible for sections of General Merchandise (previously Hardlines). This is where it gets confusing, so hang with me here:
  • 1. Flow TM's and Flow TL's are now "experts" and Leads for their portion of General Merchandise. The ETL-LOG is now General Merchandise Leader I for their section of General Merchandise.
  • 2. Backroom TM's, Backroom TL's, Hardlines TM's, and Hardlines TL's are now "experts" and Leads for their portion of General Merchandise. The ETL-HL is now General Merchandise Leader I for their section of General Merchandise.
  • CURRENT PRICING AND POG TM's WILL BE REASSIGNED/TERMINATED BASED ON BUSINESS NEEDS (at discretion of the Store Director). If in a higher volume store, General Merchandise will be split into up to 4 sections, and will be staffed by those previously in Pricing/POG and new employees will be brought in to meet business needs (if positions need to be filled). If in a lower volume store (2 sections of GM), and your Store Director won't performance out under-preforming Employees, you most likely will be transferred/termed. Unfortunately, you are SOL. I would recommend talking with leadership NOW to get your job changed if you do not want to be transferred/terminated (ESPICALLY IF YOU ARE IN A ULV STORE). Once everyone who doesn't read this website finds out about this, you will have a harder time finding a new position in your store.
  • HR and VM stay mostly untouched (except for the job title changes).
  • New pay grades (I have no info on this yet, sorry).
  • Updates to E2E. Should be more streamlined with the updates discussed in this thread.
  • SFS is renamed Fulfillment. Job titles will correlate. No major changes.
  • From my understanding, they [Presentation/Pricing] will be phased out (at least in an official capacity). Everything that's not a specialty center (beauty, electronics, style) or food falls under "general merchandise" which will be one team. Hypothetically, though, you could have distinct teams within that unbrella title and people could continue on as usual. I'm curious, though, if they will require stores that had an overnight or 4am plano team to transition dayside. -@PlanoPuppy
  • Shipt will now take up space in the backroom. Shipt contractors will be constantly coming in/out of the backroom to gather guest orders and drive them to the guests. They will wear a green Shipt shirt and will have a Shipt ID badge with a hologram and picture of them on it. They will check in with the Backroom Lead before taking anything. IF YOU SEE SOMEONE WALK INTO BACKROOM NOT WEARING THIS UNIFORM AND CLAIM THEY WORK FOR SHIPT, CALL AP ASAP!!!
  • DEPENDING ON STORE VOLUME: There may be a dedicated Shipt (or multiple) employee(s) (not contractor) walking the store and gathering items for guest orders, and will leave them in the assigned area in the backroom for the Shipt contractors to pick them up and drive them to the guest.
  • New Job titles:
    I'm transcribing all of this because I don't want to compromise myself by posting pictures (call me paranoid)

shiny new job titles:

Leader:

Assets Protection Leader
    Closing Leader
    Food and Beverage Operations Leader
    Food and Beverage Sales Leader
    General Merchandise and Food Sales Leader
    General Merchandise Sales Leader
    Human Resources Leader
    Inbound Operations Leader O/N
    Service and Engagement Leader
    Specialty Sales Leader

Lead

Assets Protection Lead
    Beauty and Tech Lead
    Beauty Lead
    Closing Lead
    Food and Beverage Closing Lead
    Food and Beverage Lead
    Food Service Lead
    Fulfilment Operations Lead
    General Merchandise Lead
    Human Resources Lead
    Inbound Operations Lead
    Property Management Lead
    Service and Engagement Lead
    Sr. Human Resources Lead
    Style Lead
    Tech Lead

Team Member (Experts)

Assets Protection Expert
    Back of Store Expert
    Beauty Consultant
    Engagement Advocate
    Food and Beverage Expert
    Food Service Expert
    Front of Store Attendant
    Fulfillment Expert
    General Merchandise Expert
    Human Resources Expert
    Inbound Expert
    Security Expert
    Service Advocate
    Service and Engagement Advocate
    Style Consultant
    Tech Consultant
    Visual Merchandiser

role specific info:

Engagement Advocate (formerly Cashier):
    • You are the face of Target and interact with our guests each and every day.
    • Provide an easy, seamless checkout experience.
    • Actively engage guests in a way that makes them feel welcome and rewarded by our loyalty programs.
    • Make sure every guest leaves happy.
    • Champion self-checkout by inviting guests in, teaching guests and complete transactions for guests who do not want to self check.
    • Comply with all cash handling and safety related procedures.

Front of Store Attendant (formerly Cart Attendant):
    • Provide an easy, seamless shopping experience by keeping carts and baskets well stocked throughout the store and responding quickly to guest carry-outs and spills.
    • Maintain clean, stocked check lanes, restrooms, Mini Assistance Centers, spill stations, carts and baskets.
    • Clear the parking lot, sidewalks and doorways of carts, trash and snow (if applicable)
    Because you are taking on a new role for the operating model pilot, you will be expected to have new knowledge and perform new skills and abilities, including:
    • Guest interaction and engagement techniques
    • Powered equipment certification, operation and safety (cart pusher)
    • Ability to consistently lift 40 lbs or more

Service Advocate (formerly Guest Service Desk):
    • Provide an easy, seamless order pickup, exchanges, or return experience.
    • Actively engage guests in a way that makes them feel welcome and rewarded by our loyalty programs.
    • Make sure every guest leaves happy.
    • Be passionate and provide exceptional service to every guest.
    • Share your knowledge and excitement of front of store services and attend to every guest.
    Because you are taking on a new role for the operating model pilot, you will be expected to have new knowledge and perform new skills and abilities, including:
    • Guest engagement and loyalty-driving techniques
    • Loyalty programs
    • In-depth knowledge of front of store specialty services

Service and Engagement Advocate (formerly Guest Service Attendant):
    • Welcome guests to the front of the store, directing guests and acting as their host.
    • Serve up an easy, no-wait experience at the check lane and all service areas.
    • Ensure every guest leaves happy and train peers to do the same.
    • Support the Service and Engagement Lead by managing front of store traffic and replenishing supplies, allowing the Service and Engagement Lead to focus on the guest experience and team development.
    • Provide a seamless checkout, return, registry and/or OPU experience by eliminating friction points for guests and team members
    • Perform cash office duties
    • Guest engagement and loyalty-driving techniques
    • Loyalty programs
    • In-depth knowledge of front of store specialty services

Service and Engagement Lead (formerly Guest Service Team Lead):
    • Live and lead a guest-centric team that delivers a seamless and easy experience in all front of store service areas.
    • Train and mentor new team members, providing direction to peers as necessary, and coaching your team in guest engagement and loyalty-building skills.
    • Identify and share staffing and scheduling needs with leader and actively assess candidates to select the right talent.
    • Motivate and recognize team members to strengthen engagement and cultivate teamwork.
    • Service as a role model, hold team members accountable to expectations and work quickly to address consistent performance gaps
    • Passion for delivering a consistently great guest experience
    • Guest engagement and loyalty-building techniques
    • In-depth knowledge of all front of store services (checkout, returns, registry and OPU)
    • Team member training and development
    • Business-specific talent assessment and selection
    THIS PILOT WILL BE LIVE AND ACTIVE ON APRIL 2 IN TEST STORES
  • The pilot is being rolled out to the following districts:
    R100
    G190 - D138
    G192 - D141
    G194 - D144
    G195 - D135
    G196 - D128
    G197 - D177
    G199 - D163

R200
    G290 - D212
    G292 - D248
    G294 - D204
    G295 - D220
    G296 - D201
    G298 - D258

R300
    G390 - D375
    G391 - D342
    G392 - D304
    G393 - D365
    G394 - D334
    G395 - D355
    G396 - D349

R400
    G493 - D421
    G495 - D446
    G496 - D459
    G497 - G429
    G498 - D454
    G499 - D466
If you think I missed something/think something needs to be updated, post below and tag me and I will fix it.

Best of luck to everyone in the pilot districts, and to everyone else when this finally gets rolled out. Hopefully it won't be too horrible by the time it reaches your store.

---------- Discuss below this line ----------

Last edited:
mXhmea7.gif

It took my store at least 6 months to collectively call for “PMT” instead of “SFT” on the walkie. Now everyone’s title changes? Not to mention all the different accents around the country.

RIP stores with duplicate named team members, or leaduhs, leeders, whatever the hell we’ll be.

I can’t wait to see how much more annoying the walkie will be all day.

I forsee a shit show.
Glad I got out when I did.

It took my store at least 6 months to collectively call for “PMT” instead of “SFT” on the walkie. Now everyone’s title changes? Not to mention all the different accents around the country.

RIP stores with duplicate named team members, or leaduhs, leeders, whatever the hell we’ll be.

I can’t wait to see how much more annoying the walkie will be all day.
A couple years before the SFT to PMT change, it was SBS so they can’t decide what to call us.

From what I was told senior is going away both TL and ETL... But that stores can request more keys for leads

This company hasn't had a direction since 2005. Just change change change for the sake of changing without knowing whether it will be good or bad. Just change to say we're taking action and making an attempt at keeping up.

It's very telling that they're getting rid of the "team" verbage though. I haven't felt like I was part of a team in 3 years.

Back